Malaybalay Travel Guide

me, janice & janet
  • The Church in the Monastery of Transfiguration
    The Church in the Monastery of...
    by maitravels
    Studio room, where we stayed

Malaybalay Things to Do

• There's a Sunday brunch after the morning mass. 1 more image

by tieneara Written Mar 30, 2009

It's one of those places that is very near heaven. The church designed by the National Artist Leandro Locsin sits on top of a hill. The views are breathtaking. The silence gives calmness to the soul. Rooms are available if you want to stay with the monks. Buy Monks blend coffee, greaseless peanuts and take the best sunset pictures with the views of the hills.

• Religious Travel

Malaybalay Restaurants

• by gelynch52ph Written Mar 21, 2013

Urgently needed in Malaybalay: A proper restaurant.
    Prior to yesterday there were 3 restos worth bothering with. They were Sir Edward's, Cool Breeze and Amadeo's. Yesterday I took Jona to Sir Edward's only to find it boarded up/closed. So we went to Jona’s favorite place Cool Breeze which had always given us good food in copious amounts, but I just preferred the surroundings @ Sir Edward's. The meal last night first had most beer varieties missing (how does a resto run out of beer?) and the crab I ordered was "no stock sir" 10 minutes after I ordered it. The second entree I had ordered to replace the crab never arrived an hour after being ordered. Jona finished the single entree of the 2 she had ordered that had been in stock. We ordered 2 entrees each so the leftovers could be had for lunch today. Then she got a mouth full of salt in the (also greasy?) garlic rice and had to spit it out over the rail into the parking lot.
    When I finally decided to go talk to the manager I was told that the young kid in the grubby jeans & old T-shirt tending to the large party next to us was the manager I said, “he can’t be the manager dressed like that so who REALLY is the manager?” It turns out that guy WAS the manager and was being complained to by the university teacher and his party of 15 or so students who also were not being fed in any kind of timely manner.
    When it was my turn to talk to him I told him that we had come to that resto and been happy on numerous occasions but that it seemed all the staff was new and we were not happy today. We told him that first he needed to educate the staff that when setting a table place it is standard procedure to put a fork, knife and spoon at EVERY place EVERY time and that the customer should not have to ask for a knife with which to cut meat.
    Then we asked when my food was going to be served and was told, “for awhile sir.” Someday people will learn that the phrase “for awhile” requires a verb in order to be intelligible to people. Presumably we are to “wait” for awhile, but maybe we are to “run,” “bathe,” “sit” or “play the banjo” for awhile? Thirty minutes later I told Jona that if I do not have my meal in 5 minutes we will just leave. When that 5 minutes had elapsed I went in search of Mr. Grubby Jeans to inform him of our intentions and was waylaid by the same waiter who had pointed me to him in the first place. I told him we were leaving and that I didn’t care who paid for the meals but that I wasn’t. “Thank you for coming sir” was the response and out we walked. Street side lechon manok became a late dinner.
    As we were leaving, the students and teacher were served the rice they had ordered before we even showed up. Half the party had finished their meals and the other half had yet to be served. No idea how long they had waited because the ones who had eaten were eating when we arrived an hour and a half earlier.
    Unfortunately my favorite resto is no more and number 2 on our list has just run us off with bad service. So it would appear that the only other resto in town, Amadeo’s, is the only place left unless there is a resto I haven’t found in the 2 years I have lived here. Amadeo’s has its issues and we have never really been satisfied there so it looks like we eat at home where at least I can put 5 different foods on the table all hot at once and everyone can eat at the same time.
    What is needed here is a resto with cooks who know how to plan & cook meals so the entire party is served properly cooked food all at once, wait staff that knows how to set a table and with management that knows how to stock inventory. Knowing how to cook beef would be a great addition as well and hopefully the management would be able to find edible beef.

Favorite Dish: Until yesterday's disaster everything was good, but they have seen the last of me & my family.

• maitravels's Profile Photo
    Inside Amadeo 4 more images

by maitravels Written Feb 28, 2013

Malaybalay is home to Philippine's cowboys, and having a steakhouse in this city is a must experience.
    The restaurant's interiors is mix of rustic trinkets put together to create a rowdy appeal but is pleasing to the eyes. In one corner you get paintings while on the side you got modern showbiz magazines. It makes waiting for orders exciting, as those trinkets make a good conversation pieces.
    Food is excellent. We did not order steaks during our lunch. For lunch we had; Bounty Seafood, Beef Broccoli, Mushroom Soup, Breaded Bangus, Fried Chicken, Calamares & Dragon Fruit Shake.

Favorite Dish: Nothing really marked or made me giddy with the selections we had for lunch. I highly recommend the Pine-Dragon Fruit Shake. It is a combination of fresh pineapple and dragon fruit, which is so refreshing to drink.

• Women's Travel

• Malaybalay Hotels

0 Hotels in Malaybalay

Instant Answers: Malaybalay

Comments

Malaybalay Travel Guide
Map of Malaybalay