Amadeo Travel Guide

• Note Coffee Kettle & Cup Infront of Municipal Bldg
    Note Coffee Kettle & Cup Infront of...
    Pahimis Festival 2009
    Balite Falls in Sight

Amadeo Things to Do

by cyndymc Updated Mar 4, 2009

Beside the Plaza of Amadeo is the St. Mary Magdalene Church. During World War II, it was used as a garrison by the Japanese. Nineteen guerillas were killed in that church-turned-garrison. Today, Catholics who visit the church remember to pray for the souls of these martyrs.

Because of its rich historical background, it was declared a National Historical Landmark by the National Historical Institute in 1984 when it celebrated its 100th year as parish church.

St. Mary Magdalene Church Church Belfry Inside the Church Patron Saint, St. Mary Magdalene Glass-stained Windows
    • Religious Travel

by cyndymc Written Feb 25, 2009

Not very far from the town proper (3.5 kms from poblacion) is Barangay Halang of Amadeo which boasts of a beautiful waterfalls, Balite Falls. Though it is not majestic in size as the other waterfalls in the country, Balite Falls has a characteristic enigma that transforms the place which is surrounded with lush greens into a small eden.

There is actually only one natural waterfall, but other waterways were created by fitting pipes and bamboo tubes, designed to produce hydrotherapy-like water flow.

The natural landscape was modified to create catch basins of different depths for children and adult swimmers. Another water outlet was converted into a "wishing well".

Stones were laid to create steps leading to the falls, hydro-therapy, swimming and cottage areas. A bridge made of fossilized wood/lumber connects the steps to the side of the falls and cottages.

Tour is free. Swimming is P75/person. Cottages range from P300, P500, P1,000 to P1,500. Bringing of food is allowed, but food and drinks may be bought from Cafe Amadeo.

Balite Falls Balite Falls in Sight Falls Seen Through Swing Made From Fossilized Wood Hydrotherapy Water Drop Picnic Cottages
    • Eco-Tourism

• Amadeo Hotels

0 Hotels in Amadeo

Amadeo Local Customs

by cyndymc Updated Feb 25, 2009

Locals are generally hospitable to tourists. They do little things that make you feel good, like when my husband and I arrived late for the Pahimis Opening activities, the people encouraged us to go to the Eco-tourism Zone so we don't miss the chance to enjoy the place in Balite Falls.

When I visited the St. Magdalene Church, after praying, I asked the sacristan mayor if I could take pictures inside. He gave me permission and even turned on the lights at the tabernacle. I told him I could do with ambient light, but he was insistent that I should let him turn on the lights for better effect on my pictures.

When we were at Balite Falls, the tour guide eagerly showed me the way around. When I asked how much was the entrance fee, he said there was none if we didn't swim, but he said he'd like me to see everything in the area. He even volunteered to take my picture. Though I normally don't want my picture taken when I'm sweaty after walking around, I obliged so he will feel good having pleased me with a souvenir shot. Then, when he saw I was so excited when I espied a red dragonfly, he caught it so I can take a picture, then let it fly after I took a shot.

Albert, Our Tour Guide Red Dragonfly On Tour Guide's Palm My Souvenir Picture, Shot By Tour Guide A Local Turned On the Light So I Can Shoot This
    • Photography

Amadeo Warnings and Dangers

by cyndymc Updated Feb 25, 2009

I noticed, there are no provisions for shower rooms in the Balite Falls Swimming Area yet. I was shocked to see that swimmers bathed and shampooed in the hydrotherapy water drop. If this goes on, the place might be another Hinulugang Taktak which stinks because of soap & detergent suds. When I called the attention of a lady guide, she just shrugged it off and said the water was flowing continously so it won't be polluted. I still maintain that there should be shower rooms built. What about the swimmers in the area near the hydrotherapy drop? They will be exposed to soiled water. For now, swimmers who don't like to bath in the hydrotherapy drop just use the comfort rooms of the restaurant, making it wet and "wildly" slippery to the risk of other users.

Another concern, guides say the water that run through the pipes and bamboo tubes is potable. Better safe than sorry, refrain from drinking it.

• Eco-Tourism
    • National/State Park

Instant Answers: Amadeo

Comments

Amadeo Travel Guide
Map of Amadeo