Bantayan Island Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Bantayan Island

• maribeldizon's Profile Photo

The virgin Virgin Island

by maribeldizon Written Nov 11, 2012

We arranged with our resort the rent of a boat for our island hopping the next day. the rate will depend on the number of persons. For our group (8pax) the rate is P1500 and we gave the boatman P200 tip

We also ordered our lunch food from our the resort restaurant the night before.

The boat arrived on time, but because of the rains we were not able to leave until after an hour. It was still cloudy but the ocean was calmer and the boatman assured us that it would be ok to go. Virgin Island was just around 30 minutes trip. The island was also white sand and the waters clearerexcess of

Entrance fee to the island is P500 good for 5, additional plus P50 each in excess of 5. The rent of the cottages is P100. If the boat will not dock in the island, the surfing fee is P200

Although we rented the boat for island hopping, we were content in staying in Virgin Island.

• hellobonjour's Profile Photo

Virgin ISland - is it worth it??

by hellobonjour Written May 26, 2012

Hi - just came back from Bantayan in March - and we went to Virgin Island - the tour cost us around 1400 pesos for 4 people..we arranged it through our hotel. For more info (hotels, costs, etc.) check out my blog www.hellobonjour.ca or a youtube video I made of the trip (the video also includes costs, etc.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0DifpS-sRA

• theguardianangel's Profile Photo

Bantayan Church: one of the oldest

by theguardianangel Written Feb 18, 2012

Church of Bantayan

When you got to the Bantayan island, you musn't miss to see one of the oldest churches in the country- the Bantayan Church. They say this church has its own history; it was built on 1580, got destroyed by fire and eventually reconstructed.

I wondered what the walls of this church are made of... since it looked odd compared to other churches that were painted commonly with white/cream paint.
    Then I found out that the church walls were made of coral stones!!!!
    That's why the wall's gray color comes out very natural! very unique!!!!

Another remarkable thing is the church's bell that can be heard miles away!

by theguardianangel Written Feb 12, 2012

Ogtong Cave

Ogtong Cave is quite popular among the must see sights in Bantayan Island. It’s located within the Ogtong Cave resort grounds.

I thought this cave is like the usual caves like what I see in tv, magazines, etc. but when we finally had the chance to see it, I’m a little bit disappointed since I really thought it’s a big cave. But please don’t get me wrong, I’m not that hard to please. I admire the the cave itself and also the blue freshwater inside the cave.

Ogtong Cave Resort’s located at the end of the island where we stay. From the Budyong Resort we just walked straight ahead until we reached the edge part of the island. We decided to walk since it's still morning. Honestly, the resort’s beach front is not that inviting like what we used to feel in Budyong Resort. The beach front is kinda full of algaes, moss… or whatever green and slimy you can see while walking along the shore; but I’m hands up to the landscapes in Ogtong Cave Resort! It’s really beautiful! I heard that this resort offers higher room rates compared to the other resorts in Bantayan Island.

Fortunately, even if you can’t have your room accommodation in Ogtong Cave Resort, you can still try to see the fascinating Ogtong Cave but with an admission fee. We paid 100Php for the entrance but we can’t swim in the cave. We were only allowed to swim in their 10ft swimming pool and take pictures. But that’s okay; I just wanted to take a look at the cave with no plans to swim so I went with my friends and paid the entrance fee. My friends said that the pool was made like a descending bowl; the water gets deeper as you swim in the center.

What I found more unique was the beach front of the Ogtong Cave Resort and the cliffs along the shore. We crossed the shore and stepped on those big wheels that surround a rock then climbed a few cliffs. The shore with the wheels and the cliffs were my fave spots in taking pictures. After all the climbing, we found out that we entered the back of the resort, haha! Anyway, I love adventure so no regrets!

We spent only 3 hours in Ogtong Cave Resort then headed back in Budyong resort by taking a pedicab and paid 30Php each.

Bantayan Market

by theguardianangel Written Feb 11, 2012

Bantayan Public Market

Bantayan Proper is just a few kilometers away from the Budyog resort where we stayed. We hired a jeepney to take us back to the resort and since we are a large group of 10 people, we paid 50Php for the service fee.

The Bantayan Market sells danggit (dried fish), dried squid and other dried fishes that the Cebu is popular for. It’s cheaper to buy these dried fishes here than to buy in Cebu City; ¼ of danggit costs 90php, ¼ of dried squid costs 145Php, Tuyo (another kind of dried fish) costs 55Php. You can bargain especially when you buy a lot. The dried fishes are very tasty and give a perfect combination when eaten w/ rice, tomatoes and salted eggs. Yummy!

island hopping to the Virgin Island

by theguardianangel Updated Feb 10, 2012

view from the cottage

Get ready for another island hopping in the Virgin Island! The first time I heard about this virgin island, I wondered if it’s the official name and yes, it really is Virgin Island!
    Another paradise!!!!

there's a few differences I observed in the virgin island compared to bantayan.
    The water in Bantayan is somewhat like 50% blue and 50% green but in the virgin island- it’s like 75% greener and 25% blue color (that’s my own calculation).
    The beach has very clear water! You an even see your reflection on it!
    A few houses can be found in the virgin island… well, probably that’s where it got its name.

Good thing that when we did the island hopping, there were only few people spending the holiday so it’s like we own the island!

from Bantayan we talked to some people in the resort, actually there were locals who offer to hire their boat for island hopping. Price ranges from 1200php-1500php (price depends on the size and type of the boat). We rented a boat w/ a fee of 1200Php maximum of 20 pax (round trip) and we just divided the payment for 11 pax. (Price is cheap and really great!) The boat man will wait for you in the virgin island anytime you want just before it gets dark and unless he senses that the ocean is beginning to build up big waves.

Travel time from bantayan to virgin island takes 30minutes.
    We arrived at 11am in the virgin island since we dropped by 1st to another island (I dunno the name, it's was just recommended by the boat man) where we bought fishes and squid for lunch. We also bought pork chops in the wet market before our island hopping.
    There’s a grilling area in the virgin island and that’s where we cooked our food.
    We paid 150Php for the Cottage fee with unlimited use.
    There’s this small store that sells sodas, ice, toiletries, onions, condiments and other usual stuffs commonly used by tourists.

It's the only store in the island where we rented plates, kitchen utensils like the knife, basin and container of water for washing the meat and seafood and paid 50Php. We then realized that everything we used in the island had a rental fee.
    I know the fees are cheap but I can’t help but wonder why even the use of basin has a fee… I just don’t get it since we’re the only people on that day.

Anyway… gawd! I got over it and accepted that the world has changed… nothing is free nowadays! You can also snorkel but you have to bring your own snorkeling materials with you. On the right side facing the beach, my friends saw a lot of sea creatures like the starfish!

I really admire though the store owner’s house of its life size jars! The mini garden’s also decorated with shells that I find attractive.

I also observed that the dogs in this island act differently compared to the dogs in the urban areas. Yeah, I know it’s weird that I observed this. The dogs don’t bark and I’m not kidding! Really unusual! They just sniff at you and follow you especially when you are eating something & they’re also big but tame.

We got back in Bantayan at 430pm since the boat man advised us to leave the virgin island early due to the big waves that were starting to build up.

Never Miss the Sunrise!

by theguardianangel Updated Feb 10, 2012

being grateful for this blessing

Goodmorning sunshine! A very good thing to start the day right is to watch the sun rise.

Even just a few hours of sleep, it never hindered me to wake up early at 530 am to greet the morning with the sun.
    Watching the sunrise is very rare for me.
    It’s only on holidays that I experience the actual rising of the sun.
    I’m very grateful to have moments like this.

I remembered what the priest said during his homily,
    “Why does everybody prefers to watch the sunset instead of the sunrise?
    Isn’t it better to watch something going up than going down?”

Virgin Island

by kemisteryoso Updated Jul 19, 2010

This island is the first stop after snorkeling on an Island hopping tour. Around 30 minutes from Sugar beach and much nearer to resorts located near the wharf it is visible from there.
    The island is private owned by Villa Carlos so dropping by even just to take some photos of the island will cost you 100 pesos per person aside from the 800 pesos Boat rental.

I think if they making this island for commercial use and turned it into a business then they have to issue receipt and ask for permit from the local government. In my opinion this is not right.

For me, the sand is similar to those of Sta. Fe’s . The snorkeling spot is just right beside the island and its great the water is very clear even 2 to 3 meters deep.
    If you have fish or pork to be grilled or even rice needs to be cooked, the staff of the island will cook it for you for a fee.

Snorkeling

by kemisteryoso Written Jul 19, 2010

The Snorkeling area is near Virgin islands so it is usually the first thing to do before jumping off to the island. The water is so clear that you can even see life under the water. Coral is very abundant too though a little deep compared to Balicasag Island. Don't miss this one.

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo

Rent a Trysikad and wander around

by kemisteryoso Updated Jul 19, 2010

Trysikad is everywhere so just choose one that will give you the most reasonable price. You can just go every street, see other resort, the townhall, Church of Sto nino, eat and drink on resto bars like D Jungle, purtoguese, Balikbayan,Etc. Or take pictures what ever you like.

It is more comfortable to do this around 5 Pm in the afternoon. It’s an adventure if you want something different.

You can also have wander around Bantayan town but this time you have to take a tricycle and relax on their plaza in front of St. Peter's church. Typical Spanish colonial stone houses can be spotted in the area too.

by kemisteryoso Updated Jul 8, 2010

The cave is around 600 meters from Sugar beach resort so I had a walk at the same time see the simple life of people along the way. The cave is located in luxurious Sta. Beach Club.
    The entrance fee is 120 pesos per person but it is free for their guest.
    The cave is said to be 20 M long.
    If you want to have a simple cave experience try this one and take a plunge to its water. Don’t expect bats, stalactites or stalagmites.

Try to taste their Kinhason and Bam-i

by kemisteryoso Updated Jul 5, 2010

I really love this local dish. Kinhason is actually a local term for a kind of mollusk and their cebuano pansit Bam-i.

I never tasted Bam-i before and never seen it serve in Manila. The taste for me is very different from any other pansit. It is actually a mixed of Canton ( egg noodles) and sotanghon(vermicelli) with some vegetables and comes with or in combination of pork, shrimp, squid and Kinhason. I just like the Bam-i of Aling Bising at Sugar Beach. But some Bam-i I tasted around the town were not good tasting really.

St. Peter and Paul Church

by kemisteryoso Updated Jun 30, 2010

the facade

I love the diversity of old churches here in the Philippines that is why visiting Bantayan church was included in my Itinerary. It is the first Parish established in Cebu by the Augustinians in 1580 and one of the parishes included in the Arch diocese of Mexico. The church is formerly known as the convent of Asunsion de Nuestra Senora.

The church is very old indeed made of stone blocks; you can even see green moss living in those stones inside the church. The church is beautiful in the inside with high ceiling that doesn’t look old for me. Maybe the old one was replaced when the church underwent renovation before. There are some images engraved on the walls like any other old stone churches.

The church is not crowded at the time of my visit so it’s very peaceful.

I recommend this place to those who likes old churches.

How to go there:
    Ride a Tricycle beside Sto. Nino Church at Sta. Fe town proper. Just tell the driver you are going to Bantayan and tell him to drop you by the church. The fare is 25 pesos for the 20 minutes travel.

Going Back:
    Walk to the terminal near the market and Bantayan wharf. Then just look for the signage Sta.Fe.

• Architecture

• judayandryan's Profile Photo

Island Hopping, Snorkeling off Virgin Island!!!!!!

by judayandryan Updated Oct 27, 2009

Known to Bantayan locals as Virgin Island, Silion Island is an isle off the mainland. Rights to the island are owned by the Villacarlos clan, a political family in Madridejos town in Bantayan Island. Tourists frequent the place to picnic on its calm and serene atmosphere renting cottages built on bermuda-covered lawns and white sand shorelines. The rich marine life of the Bantayan Marine Sanctuary not far off its shores make it also a good jump-off point to those who want to experience the joys and thrills of snorkelling.

P300 / group - entrance fee (includes the use of kitchen utensil, cottage and explore the whole island)

• judayandryan's Profile Photo

OGTONG CAVE (underwater swimming pool)

by judayandryan Updated Oct 26, 2009

an underground cavern which has a natural pool....around the area, the sta. fe beach club was developed and those wanting to see the cave have to pay a minimal amount at the resort's front desk.

P120.00 for adult
    50 for kids

you could also use the swimming pool for free..

Instant Answers: Bantayan Island

Comments

Bantayan Island Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Bantayan Island things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bantayan Island sightseeing.

View all Bantayan Island hotels