Samal Island Warnings and Dangers

• devious JAY (driver of the xrm motorcycle)
    devious JAY (driver of the xrm...
    by yayoy28
    Unsafe Ride
    by bike_packer

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Samal Island

• yayoy28's Profile Photo

habal-habal driver named Jay - a devious swindler

by yayoy28 Written Jun 26, 2011

devious JAY (driver of the xrm motorcycle)

Last week, my friends and I went to Penaplata, Samal and stayed at Fernandez Resort. A guy in the resort recommended Jay to drive us to Maxima Resort. At first, he was accomodating and offering us help like accompanying us to buy pomelo and coconut, and he was even willing to take our pictures.
    When we asked how much per piece of a coconut, he said Php 10.00 and he would be able to deliver the same within the day. However, when it was about 5pm I asked about the coconuts, he said he will deliver it early in the morning and said that we must pay first before delivery. we paid Php 80.00 for 8 coconuts. after our dinner, he told us that the coconut will cost us Php 15.00 each contrary to the price which he previously stated and demands Php 40.00 for his transportation. We were hesitant and would like to demand our money back but he told us that he gave it to the seller already.
    Since we do not trust him anymore, we lessened the quantity of the coconuts and just ordered 3 -equivalent to the value of what we gave him plus his transpo. We waited until we checked out of the resort and we have not seen him or heard of him. I know Php 80.00 is a small amount for Manilenyos but DISHONESTY of locals such as Jay might affect the resort's reputation and even penaplata's. kaya guys beware. he will gain your trust. he is a smooth talker. DO NOT TRUST this guy.

• Women's Travel
    • Beaches
    • Motorcycle

• AlfWilbert's Profile Photo

Alledged Safety Issues concering Mindanao

by AlfWilbert Written Mar 8, 2009

A little comment about the alleged safety issues in Davao and surrounding Area.
    As Davao is part of Mindanao, one would be forgiven for having heard about safety related issues in the News. Let me say that my fiancée is from Davao and I personally have never seen any signs of trouble and I have never felt threatened in any way, even when walking alone at night through some of the areas off the beaten track. The Mayor in Davao has addressed petty theft and drug related crime with an iron fist.

• bike_packer's Profile Photo

Habal-habal

by bike_packer Written Nov 18, 2005

Unsafe Ride

"Habal-habal" in local dialect is motorcycle as a public mode of transportation wanting to beat the Guinness record of "most passengers a motorcycle can load". This is a common scene in the Visayas and Mindanao. Generally on areas where road conditions are rough, wherein 4-wheeled vehicles and/or tricycles are not welcome. But in some areas sadly, it seems that they left this as the only option for the commuting public >> "so take it or take a walk".

I would only feel safe riding a motorcycle if with 2 passengers the most , and of course wearing a helmet. But with what I saw, 5 passengers and no helmets that's crazy. Better ride on as the lone passenger and pay more.

Instant Answers: Samal Island

Comments

Samal Island Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Samal Island warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Samal Island sightseeing.