Local traditions and culture in Province of Ilocos Norte

Most Viewed Local Customs in Province of Ilocos Norte

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Locals Are Hospitable & Helpful

by cyndymc Updated Nov 5, 2011

Have you ever experienced being in a place when suddenly nature called? I experienced just that when we were at Malacanang of the North, but I couldn't see any restroom for tourists. I then decided to politely request the caretaker if I could use one of the comfort rooms in the Museo. She allowed me to use the CR at the Guest Room. To think that when I was touring the place, I was wondering what the CRs in Malacanang of the North looked like, and just then I was allowed to enter and even use one of them ;D

Ilocanos are hospitable, and although the caretakers do not own Malacanang of the North, they will oblige to let you use the CR in dire necessities :) By the way, the one I used was so big! However, I noticed that it was no longer well maintained (at least when we went there in 2008).

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Ilocanos Are Generally Friendly

by cyndymc Updated Nov 5, 2011

Ilocanos are generally friendly, but it will help you establish rapport with your warm smile while talking with them. Address the men "manong", the women "manang" and the younger ones "ading". If you need help in directions (like where is the nearest comfort room or where to buy a specific item, etc), you can ask anyone, even children, and they will help you.

If you'd like to take pictures of locals, out of courtesy, ask permission first (again with a smiling face and a sincere "please"). You'll be surprised how cooperative they can be, but don't forget to say thank you after the photo shoot. If they don't speak your dialect/language, just motion your hand as though clicking a camera and they will understand.

During our stopover at Bangui Public Market, I went around to observe the locals. It was market day so I got interested on what they were selling. I asked permission from some vendors if I could take their pictures, and they happily obliged. Same thing at the Pagudpud. There was a Souvenir Vendors' Cooperative at Saud Beach, and I got curious how they handcrafted some items like keychains and costume jewelry. They smiled at me as I observed them and willingly posed for me.

Children are always willing "models" for photos, and parents often allow tourists/photographers to take their pictures.

Shellfish vendors at Bangui Public Market Napintas na ading (beautiful child) Souvenir vendor at Pagudpud Beach Manang making souvenir keychain Souvenir Vendors Cooperative

• missmarianne's Profile Photo

taste the sand or throw a coin straight to the sea

by missmarianne Written Mar 27, 2008

dunno the logic of doing any of these.. well .. kaya nga local custom eh. purposely, you are tasting the sand or throwing a coin straight to the dagat ( and make a wish) or both before you go swimming for the benefit of your tummy. you won't get tummy ache if you do that.. We were just told. .. we did both anyway. thus..., Our tummy went well....?

• Beaches

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Learn the Dialect

by i-s-a Updated Nov 8, 2006

Though people here knows how to speak Tagalog, many of them prefer to use their own dialect which is "Ilokano" or even English. It would be helpful to learn some few native words.

Some Pleasantries:
    Naimbag nga bigat yo, Apo – Good morning
    Naimbag nga malem yo, Apo – Good afternoon
    Naimbag nga rabii yo, Apo – Good evening
    Naimbag nga aldaw – Good day
    Kumusta kayo, Apo? – How are you?

Pangaasim man – Please
    Dios ti agngina – Thank you
    Umay kayto manen – Come again
    Wen – Yes
    Saan – No
    Apo – Sir/Madame

Some tricks: ^o^
    Kasano ti mapan diay …? – How to get to …?
    Adayo? – How far?
    Kayat ko ti gumatang ti … - I want to buy a …
    Nagnginan – Expensive
    Awan tawar nan? – No discount?

...and the most important!
    Haan ko maawatan! – I cannot understand!

Province of Ilocos Norte Hotels

Bacarra Hotels
Apaya Hotels
San Nicolas Hotels

Instant Answers: Province of Ilocos Norte

Comments

Province of Ilocos Norte Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Province of Ilocos Norte local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Province of Ilocos Norte sightseeing.
Map of Province of Ilocos Norte