Vigan Transportation

This is a kalesa we took
  • Transportation
    On the way

Most Recent Transportation in Vigan

• shavy's Profile Photo

Getting around the city with tricycle

by shavy Updated Jan 29, 2015

Vigan is a relatively small but is abundant with tricycles, the city can easily explore on foot but for those doesn't want to walk tricycle can be hired too. For a short distance ride within city limit fares are P8-10. However, the only public transportation around the city is horse drawn carriage and trikes. No mentioning going out the city because there were buses

Before arriving in city we supposed to have a contact person as our guide in Vigan. Is the brother of our guide in Pagudpud, he quote us 800 peso for tour with his tricycle but we didn't took it, was too much. We know Vigan is easy to wander on our own and besides, we're planning to take the horse drawn carriage, is something we do not want to miss in the city the kalesa ride

The tricycle can be annoying sometimes, while we walking they're insist on taking us on tour and keep on bothered even I said no. They can be useful sometimes, if one need a ride outside town, always ask the price before used them. As the fare in the city limit is only 8 to 10 peso is really cheap, but if they saw as tourist they'll take advantage

Vigan Tricycle
    • Architecture

• shavy's Profile Photo

Is the easiest way to go around.......the Kalesa

by shavy Written Jan 29, 2015

It is not compulsory to take the kalesa, the city is easy to roam on foot, however, the kalesa is really cheap for P150 an hour and you can experience the ride. The kalesa is parked on the other side of the cathedral. They are standing in a row, so I thought I would choose a nicest one but I was disappointed, we have to take the first one in a row, they all have to wait their turn to take passengers

Our kutsero( coach lady) has a little boy with her, the horse drawn we have is not the nicest one, is old and worn but is okay we enjoy the ride. Wandering around the city you'll see much more of this horse drawn carriage, is officially an only vehicle allowed to run in Crisologo Street. Our first stop was outside town of Vigan, and it was in Bantay church and bell tower. Seem they have a tourist route and they know where to take you, but you can also suggest a place you want to see.

Like for example: I ask the coach lady to take us to the bus station because I need some timetable for our morning trip, so she took us there. You'll have an hour time to enjoy the ride, and they bring you to all the important tourist spots.

When our ride almost done she ask if we're going back to the center, I said to her, take us to Baluarte Park no worry about the exceed hour we'll pay you. So she took us to the park, we wander around in the park, it is a very huge park so she has waited for too long. After the park we ask her to drop off us to the hotel. We have more than two hour and a half ride with the kalesa.

She was very honest, before we get into the kalesa, I never ask how much for an hour, but I know is only 150 peso. So when we get off the kalesa I give her exactly 400 peso and she never complains. As I heard some of the kurchero (coachman) takes advantage of tourism, the price of kalesa is sometimes more than 150 peso, so is advisable to ask before you take one

Horse drawn carriage Kalesa park This is a kalesa we took On the way
    • Horse Riding

• June.b's Profile Photo

Bus to Vigan

by June.b Updated Jul 6, 2014

Traveling to Vigan from Manila takes about 7 hours by bus (companies like Partas Bus Co., Dominion Bus Lines, Viron Transit, and St. Joseph) from Manila.

If you're coming from Laoag City, I would recommend taking the airconditioned Partas bus, shorter travel time of around 2 hours.

However, if you’re on a tight budget, you can take the non-airconditioned buses at the bus terminal in Lagasca Street, pay 100 pesos, travel time is about 3 hours. Warning – they’re unreliable, they dropped me off midway between Laoag and Vigan as we are very few passengers left on the bus, the driver and conductor know of course that there's an incoming bus, so I changed/hopped in the next bus, took me 10 minutes standing beside a market (bus stop) before the next bus arrived.

• danyelspips's Profile Photo

Kalesa/Tricycle

by danyelspips Updated Mar 11, 2013

Vigan is a small City in the Province Ilocos Sur, located in the Northern Part of the Luzon Area in the Philippines.

Upon arrival in Vigan, the best form of transportation is the "Tricycle"
    Fare per person is Php 10.00

If you like roaming around Vigan the traditional way "Kalesa" is the ride
    Fixed Fare per hour is more or less around Php 150.00

If you are in the center of the city, you can do walking..*

• Photography

• thereese's Profile Photo

The pink Rider

by thereese Written Mar 30, 2012

For van/tricycle reservation kindly contact kuya lee: 0912-616-4172 or 0929-813-8352..have been receiving a lot of queries on how to go around Vigan, might as well contact Kuya Lee for your itineraries. I would like to clarify my previous reply regarding the Php3,500 (this is the amount I spent during my vacation in Vigan-Laoag and Pagudpod) For the Van/ tricycle rental's quotation kindly contact kuya lee...=)

• thereese's Profile Photo

Vigan-Laoag-Pagudpod Tour

by thereese Written Mar 19, 2012

to go around in Ilocos I would suggest to rent a car/van, it would be more convenient and would save time. If you're only staying for 2D1N spend the night in Pagudpod.. Search for Cathy's HOmestay, it's the cheapest homestay along Saud Beach.. and for affordable transportation to go around pagudpod and vigan contact Lerry Molina: 0929-813-8352.. I only spent 3,500 when I visited vigan-laoag and pagudpod. These locals made my stay in vigan and pagudpod worthwhile.. =)

Vigan transportation to Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte

by joiwatani Written Oct 4, 2011

You have to catch a bus in Vigan to Laoag City then board another bus in Laoag City enroute to Claveria, Cagayan. Mostly buses that are independently operated are usually standing by in Laoag City waiting for their passengers to go to Claveria, Cagayan.

I don't think there is a direct bus that goes directly from Pagudpud from Vigan.

Buses going to Vigan from Baguio City

by joiwatani Written Oct 3, 2011

There are many transportation going to Vigan from Baguio City. You can take Partas and or Viron. These are the buses that directly bring you to Vigan City.

You can also take buses that are bound only to San Fernando or Bauang, La Union. Then from Bauang, you can catch more buses to Vigan (those buses coming from Manila: Farinas, Partas, Viron, etc.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Partas is my choice of bus going to Ilocos region

by joiwatani Written Oct 1, 2011

When I went home to Ilocos Sur last year, I took the Partas bus from Cubao. They have newer fleet and they stop at excellent restaurants with cleaner bathrooms!

First of all, the Partas Bus Line have different prices depending on which bus you are going to take. There is the deluxe airconditioned bus and their is also the regular bus. Either way, it's up to you to decide which one to take. But before you choose, remember how long it will take you to get to Vigan. The buses have many stops. They basically stop in every city or town that they have a bus station.

Second of all, there is one reason why I like Partas. It's not about the price or the service. It's the connection of the owner of Partas! Partas is owned by Chavit Singson, a kingpin of the Ilocos region. When a Partas breaks down on the way, you know that you can hop in to the next bus because they have the most numbers of fleet going to the Ilocos Region.

Also,for safety reason. The bus stations of Partas are heavily guarded especially in Manila (sometimes not in uniform) and you know that you and your luggages are safe. You won't hear any complaints of a lost luggage. Nobody would dare to mess up with the Singson's.

Riding the caritela

by joiwatani Written Sep 7, 2010

In front of the Divine Word College in Vigan or in front of the Vigan Hotel, there are caritelas or horseback ridden carriages. These guys are waiting for tourists or local visitors to go inside the Villa Hernandina (that part of Vigan where the roads are made of bricks). As per City Ordinance, the caritelas are the only once allowed to get into the brick roads! Tricycles (motorcycles with cabs or the local transport) are not allowed to go there including other vehicles).

The caritela drivers charges 150 pesos per trip to go around the brick road but this fee does not include if you ask them to wait for you while you shop at the souvenir stores.

You should make a deal/contract with the caritela drivers first before you hop in. During low season (not a lot of visitors (rainy season May, June, July, August, Sept, Oct), not a lot of visitors come visit Vigan, so you can bargain to the drivers. Sometimes, I was told, that they don't have passengers in so many hours. These caritela drivers wait in line to get their own customers!

For us, I bargained for 75 pesos "just to look around" and gave the driver a tip for waiting for us while shopping!

Riding a caritela in Vigan My sisters and niece are enjoying the ride! I am digging it! Oops, traffic! He!He! He! Are we heavy or something? Glad the horse is big!

• janbonivic's Profile Photo

Tricycle around Vigan / going to nearby towns

by janbonivic Updated Jul 26, 2009

Cheaper mode of transportation compared to calesas. PhP10/person around the City.

Going to Baluarte costs PhP20/head (minimum of 2 persons)

From Baluarte to Hidden Garden, we paid PhP15/person. Same rate applied from Hidden Garden back to Vigan proper.

Vigan tricycle

• janbonivic's Profile Photo

Partas Bus from Laoag to Vigan

by janbonivic Updated Jul 26, 2009

From Laoag to Vigan, the trip is almost 2 hours and we highly recommend Partas Aircon Bus. Comfortable and clean... Adult fare is less than PhP150/person.

Don't be hesitant to tell the driver to remind you if you've reached Vigan bus station already... All of you might fall asleep throughout the trip.

From the bus station in Vigan, take tricycle to your pension house/hotel. Fare is between Php10-15 each if you are at least 2 people.

Father and son at Partas Laoag ticket booth...

• allelli's Profile Photo

Manila Bus to Vigan

by allelli Written Jun 26, 2009

It is 7 to 10 hours drive from manila to vigan, Fare should be around P650-P750.

Busses from Manila To Vigan vice versa
    PARTAS BUS LINES #816 Aurora Boulevard cor P. Bernardo St., Cubao QC Tel. No.: (02) 725-1740
    DOMINION BUS LINES New York Street, Cubao, Quezon City Tel. No.: (02) 741-4146, 731-4180
    VIRON TRANSIT #1209 Blumentritt Cor. Dapitan St., Sampaloc 1000 Manila Tel. No.: (02) 741-0405

REGULAR BUSES PLYING THE MANILA-LAOAG ROUTE WHICH PASSES TO VIGAN
    PHILIPPINE RABBIT BUS LINES, INC. 819 Oroquieta Street 1000 Manila Tel. No.: (02) 734-9836
    FARIÑAS TRANS Laong Laan corner M dela Fuente Street, Sampaloc, Manila Tel. No.: (02) 743-8582
    MARIA DE LEON Gelinos Street 1000 Manila Tel. No.: (02) 731-4907

• screamcheese's Profile Photo

Kalesa for the romantics

by screamcheese Written Apr 13, 2009

I know that kalesa is more commonly seen in Manila but riding the kalesa is a far more different experience especially when you're in Vigan. Instead of taking a cab/tricycle to the bell tower, St. paul's and the other tourist spots in Vigan, we decided to rent a kalesa for an hour.

Since it was only the two of us who took the trip, we had no one to take our pics together. Thanks to our manong driver, who acted as our tourguide slash photographer. :D

• Robyn_mikkel's Profile Photo

Vigan to Laoag

by Robyn_mikkel Written Jan 19, 2009

Vigan to Laoag buses are available 24 hours/ The ordinary buses are available until 4pm or so and Partas aircon buses are available round the clock. But Partas buses arrive only every hour/ Fares as January 2009 :
    ordinary buses - 120p
    Partas - 117p ( i have no idea why)
    Partas terminals have a tv and a clean (sort of) washroom so it's not that much hassle to wait

Instant Answers: Vigan

Comments

Vigan Transportation

Reviews and photos of Vigan transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vigan sightseeing.