Guimaras Island Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Guimaras Island

• JULES-NYLL's Profile Photo

The Guisi Lighthouse

by JULES-NYLL Written Mar 9, 2013

The Guisi Lighthouse is an 18th century Spanish Lighthouse built beside the beach and if your finding a top view or a perfect picture of the beach you need to climb the lighthouse with the fee of 10pesos only

• National/State Park
    • Photography

• JULES-NYLL's Profile Photo

Guimaras Adventure

by JULES-NYLL Written Mar 9, 2013

Guisi Light House is a must-see attraction in Guimaras Island. Those who would like to experience a great scenery attraction at its best.And Natago beach has white beach with a hidden private beach house with a great secenery

• AdaL42's Profile Photo

Offer your prayers and wishes at Trappist Monaster

by AdaL42 Written Mar 7, 2013
    The Trappist Monastery.

Trappist monastery is a beautiful church in the heart of Guimaras Island. You will meet Bro. Peter who will, from time to time, give you life advice. We took time to write our wishes in a piece of paper and Bro. Peter took it and said they offer prayer so that our wishes will come true.

This is an exquisite and refreshing experience while doing the land tour in Guimaras. I felt my soul was cleanse and put in peace after our visit in this serene monastery.

Frolick at Guisi Beach

by IamPam Updated Feb 26, 2013
    Guisi's rock formation

Just below the Guisi lighthouse is the Guisi beach. Our tricycle driver pointed a trail down from the light house for easier access to the beach. The beach has off white sand and beautiful rock formations. We spend our entire afternoon here.

Like Natago beach, this is also a private resort so you have to pay P20.00 pesos

Have fun food shopping at Trappist Monastery

Trappist Chapel

Yes, it is a monastery and yes you could actually have fun shopping in it because we did. There was not much to do there but take pictures at their chapel and vast gardens--and of course food shopping at their souvenir shop. One of my fondest memory there was when one of the monks shooed us away when we were picture taking because apparently, we were in their restricted area. We didn't take offense though, just a little embarassed. haha!

Trappist Monastery is along the highway going to Alubihod beach. Our tricycle driver was kind enough to take us there before heading to Raymen's.

• Religious Travel

Do some island hopping

by IamPam Updated Feb 7, 2013

Our gang during the island hopping

Island hopping around Guimaras is a must. If you didn't try it, you should--because what else could you do there beside beach bumming?

From what I can remember, the rate for Island hopping is basically around P500 for the first two hours and then P150 for the succeding hours...pretty cheap for a group of 4. What we did was we only took pictures around the interesting islands and then swam for an hour at the last beach stop to maximize the hours. The tour consists of 6 different islands around Guimaras. My favorite was at the Baras Cave and at Natago Beach for swimming

• Sailing and Boating

Climb the ruins of Guisi Lighthouse

by IamPam Updated Feb 7, 2013
    Climbing the stairs of the light house

Yes, you read that right. Climb the rusty, old century ruins of an old light house at Guisi. It's fun and extreme plus you'll be rewarded of the fantastic view from the top of the light house.

But if you're a scaredy cat and you're excuse of not climbing is because you're afraid of getting tetanus from the light house (Just like my FRIENDS! haha!) you can enjoy the scenery from below and take pictures around the ruins.

Speaking of photo ops, the caretaker here is very much into photography and will be very glad to take your pictures around the best spots inside the ruins (with insistance haha!)

• Architecture

Swim at Natago Beach

by IamPam Written Feb 7, 2013

How the resort looks from our boat

Natago beach was our last stop during our island hopping. I liked how the beach looked from our boat because it seems like it has a sand bar that separates the water. I was more amazed when we docked because of the beach's pristine clear water and secluded cove.

Since this is a private resort, you have to pay P20.00 to swim in the area.

Do not miss Baras Cave

by IamPam Written Feb 7, 2013

Entrance of Baras Cave

Baras cave is one of my favorite stop during our island hopping. It is a small cave with two entrances, it felt like going to the Underground River at Palawan but really really tiny haha! Inside the cave you'll see different stalagmites and stalagtites and your usual bats hanging from the cave ceiling.

Trappist Monastery

by kemisteryoso Updated Jul 17, 2011

We went straight to the monastery after we checked out from Raymen at 12 nn and had a quick shopping. We were told that it is where we can buy the best goodies in all of Guimaras made by the monks themselves. It is located in brgy. San Miguel and about 15 minutes travel from Poblacion, Nueva Valencia. We told the driver to drop us by the monastery and paid him P18.00. It is not far from the highway and there's a signpost outside the main entrance. Their main product are Mango Jam, Guava Jelly, Pineapple jam, Mango bar, Otap, biscocho, Pulvoron, mango candy and more. I bought Pineapple jam, Mango Bar and Otap. I wanted to buy Mango Jam too but it’s not available that time maybe because it is not mango season in Guimaras during our visit. By the way you will love the mango bar so you should try it.

Baras Cave

by kemisteryoso Updated Jun 15, 2011

Ournext destination after snorkeling at Ave Maria islets.
    It is a cave in an island with 2 entrances. You can enter whatever side and exit on the other one. They said we can swim but there's a little light from the outside and the darkness of the water made us stay on the rocks and took pictures of some stalactites with dripping water instead.

• Eco-Tourism

Hike Balaan- Bukid

by kemisteryoso Updated Jun 15, 2011

Near the summit

This place is our last destination in Guimaras maybe because of its proximity to Jordan. Only 10 minutes tricycle ride from the port and the fare is only P10.00 but we paid the trike driver P100.00 but he will wait for us so that we will have a sure transportation on our return to the port.
    I won't forget this particular trip, I thought there are concrete stairs with rest points along the way like what they have at Mt. Tapyas in Coron Town. I forgot to buy bottled water so our climb was a real agony on my part. Trikes are not able to carry you up to the top because of the rough and steep road. The road at the base seems okay but as you climb the hill its getting more rough and steeper.
    Balaan Bukid is the place where Catholics in the area go during Lenten Season to commemorate the Agony and crucifixion of Jesus Christ or simple The Stations of the Cross. Murals of each station can be seen as you travel towards the Summit. I thought I will give up when I reached Station 7 but my friends decided to finish the ordeal so I continued by resting on each station. The pressures of my back pack made things worst. I should have catch up with my friends so that I have someone to talk to and forget my sweating but I failed so what I did aside from resting on every station is looking around and enjoying the green surroundings.
    I saw the Cross and I know I'm near but it still need few more hike on a stony steep path. The hike took 45 minutes and the view at the summit is panoramic. There's an Ave Maria Purisima chapel where we prayed for our safe trip back to Manila and enjoyed the view of Iloilo city and the Iloilo straight. The Jordan port can also be seen at the summit. We took pictures of the beautiful scenery and jumping shots.

Consult Guimaras Tourism Center For Your Needs

by cyndymc Updated Feb 28, 2011

Guimaras Tourism Staff

As soon as you arrive at Jordan Wharf, seek out the Tourism Staff-on-Duty's advise re: transportation, accommodation or tour concerns. You won't miss their office which is near the jeepney and multicab terminal.

In case you arrive very early (like we did) and there is no one yet at the office, take a jeep or tricycle to the Tourism Center in San Miguel and drop off at the provincial Capitol. Look for the Tourism Section of the Provincial Economic development Office at GTIC Building which is at the left side, facing the Capitol building.

Get a copy of Guimaras brochure and their Transportation & Travel Time Guide To/In Guimaras leaflet. The latter is very important to have as reference though it doesn't have the prevailing transportation cost. Just consult the staff re: regular fare from one point to another. If you are in Guimaras only for a day tour, inquire if they can make arrangement for your tour using their eco-friendly e-vehicle. I saw one with foreign tourists while we were at the Trappist Monastery.

Drop By The Smallest Plaza

by cyndymc Updated Feb 28, 2011

Smallest Plaza

On the way to Raymen, I was surprised why the owner of our multicab (who "volunteered" to be our guide) stopped by the roadside. He pointed to Jordan's Plaza which reportedly earned the title of SMALLEST PLAZA in the Guinness Book of World Records. I wondered why it wasn't included in the list of tourist destinations that I've read about Guimaras. It turned out, another country beat its world record. However, it remains to be the smallest plaza in the Philippines.

Featured in the Plaza is a small statue of Dr. Jose Rizal, our national hero. Actually, it really looks more like a monument rather than a Plaza.

Go Boating/Island Hopping

by cyndymc Updated Feb 24, 2011

Boating/Island Hopping Booth at Raymen

This is one activity that we failed to do because of lack of time, but definitely will do the next time we go to Guimaras. There are many interesting destinations you can reach by boat. You can choose where to go since boat fees are per hour, not per destination. Common destinations are: Turtle Sanctuary, Turtle Island, Ave Maria Island, Fairy Castle, Baras Beach Resort & Baras Cave, Lamurawan, Soly Luna, Natago Beach Resort, and Naburot Island. Boat rates would differ according to resorts, but at Raymen, the rates are:

6 persons or less: P400 for 1st hour + P150 per succeeding hour
    More than 6 up to10 persons: P500 for 1st hour +P150 per succeeding hour
    More than 10 up to 50 persons: P2,000 + P500 per succeeding hour

I talked with some guests and learned that if you go island hopping with stops for snorkeling, swimming and photo shoot, you'll need about 4 hours. I regret that we didn't do this before we went to Navalas Church. This should be your first activity. Skip the swimming at your resort's beach; you can do it in the other islets. Start early after breakfast so you can be back for lunch at your resort; otherwise, order packed lunch for your picnic in one of the islands.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Guimaras Island

Comments

Guimaras Island Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Guimaras Island things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guimaras Island sightseeing.

View all Guimaras Island hotels