Guimaras Island Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Guimaras Island

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

The Prayer Room

by syllybabe Written Apr 3, 2003

I've spend many hours in the trappist monastery's prayer room and outside in the terrace looking out to see the well kept grounds. At the other side you'll have a view of their fruit trees...especially mangoes.
    While there, don't hesitate to ask for time to speak with the abbot. It's an enriching experience to hear words of wisdom and things to contemplate about while you're enjoying your quiet time.

• Religious Travel

Natago Beach/ Natago Island

by kemisteryoso Updated Nov 2, 2010

We headed to Natago Island after Baras beach. This island is beautiful and it's very inviting especially as you go near it. I am not sure but it is like a 2 small islands connected by the white sandy beach. There's a resthouse built on top of a rock cliff. At the far end of this small island is a stair that will lead you to the top of the island where you can have a better view of the surrounding islands but this one is private so there's an entrance fee.

SEAFDEC

by kemisteryoso Written Nov 2, 2010

This is our last destination. We didn't expect it to be far from the rest of the attractions but is a 35 minutes travel from Natago Island. This one is also a breeding center of some variety of fish like Lapu-Lapu and Milkfish. The breeding center is also built in an open sea out of plastic containers that were put together as floaters. We had a little walk to a floating wooden path towards the station where we logged our name. Then they fed the fish on each cage and they came out of the deep. We are able to take some photo of the 80 kg Lapu-lapu because it swims so slowly but other species is impossible.
    Nothing fancy about SEAFDEC to be honest but we are curious to see it. You can skip this one to save time if you like.

Guisi beach and Lighthouse ruins

by kemisteryoso Written Nov 2, 2010

After our Island hopping activity we had a quick nap. Then we headed to Brgy. Dolores to see their lighthouse ruins around 4 PM. The trike driver who brought us to Raymen also agreed to take us to Sitio Guisi and paid him P300.00 for the round trip. He also guided us to the lighthouse.

The way to Guisi was smooth on the first 3 kms and the rest was rough especially if you are nearing Brgy. Dolores because of road construction. The travel is 30 minutes from Raymen.
    After the Guisi Lighthouse marker, the trike went to a steep hill and from there we walked our way down to the beach. I can tell that Guisi is more beautiful than Alubihod, it has longer and wider shore. The view and landscape is nicer as well. The problem was it is underdeveloped and not maintained properly aside from being far and isolated. But for those who seek tranquility and solitude, this is perfect and Clear Water Beach resort can be your choice of accommodation.
    Aside from the beach, our main purpose is to see the Spanish lighthouse ruins during sunset. We walked through the length of the white sandy beach until we reach the left end. From there, we started to trek a stony-not-that-safe-path with bamboo bridges connecting the stones until we reached a bamboo ladder that lead us to the hill. Taking a photo of the beach from this point is very beautiful. The hill is surrounded by green vegetation and a little walk to the summit will show you the ruins with the new and old light house. I saw plants living on the walls of the ruins and trees surround the whole place making it like a hidden lost village. I checked all sides of the ruins and took pictures of the old and new lighthouse. I like the contrast of the 2. The colorful Sunset is perfect and everything is panoramic.

Go down before total darkness to avoid accident. This place is worth visiting when you are in Guimaras. It worth the rough journey and the long walk.

Island Hopping

by kemisteryoso Updated Oct 28, 2010

Resorts in Alubihod offers island hopping activity and there are also freelance boatmen that offer their boat for the same price of P400.00 on the first hour and additional P150.00 for every succeeding hour. So your payment depends on how long you will do the island hopping activity. In our case we paid P 950.00 (4 hrs) for the island hopping plus P200.00 for the 2 snorkeling gears we rented. We visited the turtle sanctuary, passed by Ave Maria islets and turtle island, swam at Ave Maria beach and snorkeled not far from there, went into Baras cave and Baras beach then Natago Island and lastly SEAFDEC. There are also other islands to visit depends on what you wanted. You can visit them all if you wish to pay more.

SEAFDEC consumed much of our time because it is separated from rest and we traveled 30 minutes coming from Natago Island. It is located in Brgy. Igang. If you are not a fan of big Lapu-lapu, milkfish etc. and not curious to see one then you can skip this one and save time.

Turtle Sanctuary

by kemisteryoso Written Oct 28, 2010

turtle lullaby

This is the first destination on our Island hopping activity. It is about 15 minutes from Alubihod. The sanctuaries were built on a bamboo barge with net cages in an open sea. Each person will pay P10.00 for donation and maintenance of the sanctuary but in return they will take photos of you holding the sea turtle. But this should be very quick because the turtle will become very uneasy when exposed to air for more than a minute.

Philippine Sea turtle is an endangered species that is why they have this sanctuary as breeding center. These reptiles were butchered before for their meat and shell. Now there's a fine of 1 million to those who will be caught eating turtle meat. Our captain said it's good but I am not interested, I don't have a million.

Ave Maria Islets/Ave Maria Beach

by kemisteryoso Updated Oct 28, 2010

It’s our second destination. We passed by numerous islets in which some are part of the Jordan marine sanctuary reserve. Different rock formations can be seen along the way like an island that resembles like a turtle. There are 2 beaches but only one is public. We had a quick swim and photo session with some of the islets as our background. The private one can be seen from the public beach.

Snorekeling

by kemisteryoso Written Oct 29, 2010

Snorkeling can be part of your island hopping activity, it depends on you. We love snorkeling so we decided to include this in our activity... The snorkeling area is not that far from the Ave Maria beach. There are plenty of corals but we are not lucky to see much fish because of poor visibility cause by the heavy rain the other night they said. We rented the snorkeling gear from our boatman for P100.00 per piece.

• Diving and Snorkeling

Baras Cave

by kemisteryoso Updated Jun 15, 2011

Ournext destination after snorkeling at Ave Maria islets.
    It is a cave in an island with 2 entrances. You can enter whatever side and exit on the other one. They said we can swim but there's a little light from the outside and the darkness of the water made us stay on the rocks and took pictures of some stalactites with dripping water instead.

• IamPam's Profile Photo

Do some island hopping

by IamPam Updated Feb 7, 2013

Our gang during the island hopping

Island hopping around Guimaras is a must. If you didn't try it, you should--because what else could you do there beside beach bumming?

From what I can remember, the rate for Island hopping is basically around P500 for the first two hours and then P150 for the succeding hours...pretty cheap for a group of 4. What we did was we only took pictures around the interesting islands and then swam for an hour at the last beach stop to maximize the hours. The tour consists of 6 different islands around Guimaras. My favorite was at the Baras Cave and at Natago Beach for swimming

• Sailing and Boating

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Have A Taste Of Guimaras Mangoes

by cyndymc Updated Feb 13, 2011

Yummy, Sweet Guimaras mangoes

Guimaras mangoes are acclaimed to be the sweetest in the country and the world. Don't take my word for it. Have a mango when you go to Guimaras. Your trip to Guimaras will be incomplete unless you got to taste its famous mangoes.

When we went there, I couldn't find ripe mangoes at the fruit stand in Jordan Wharf. Raymen Resort had some half-ripe mangoes, and I was told it would take about 2 days more for the mangoes to ripen. I couldn't wait that long so I ordered sliced half-ripe mangoes for dessert after our dinner. Oh my, they were already very sweet! A German guest at the Resort watched me and hubby eat our mangoes with gusto. He then ordered some for himself. I was happy to see his satisfied look while eating mangoes with his bare hands.

By the way, I love green mango shake but I didn't like it with Guimaras mango. Either the one who prepared it put too much sugar, or the Guimaras mango is really very sweet even though it is still green.

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

See The Ruins of A Spanish Lighthouse in Guimaras

by cyndymc Updated Feb 13, 2011

The Ruins of The Guisi Lighthouse

If Negros Occidental has the ruins of a mansion in Talisay City, Iloilo Province has the ruins of a Spanish lighthouse in Guimaras. On top of the mountain in Guisi Point in Dolores, Nueva Valencia, you will see the skeletal remains of what used to be a 58-feet high octagonal cylindrical tower built by the Spanish government in 1894 -1896. It was formerly known as Faro de Punta Luzaran which served as navigational aid to the seafarers and fishermen cruising Panay Gulf.

The ruins will hardly give you a picture of how it looked like, what with the lantern of the tower totally gone, as well as the roof of the 1-storey lighthouse keeper’s house also gone. Today, ferns, moss, weeds, aerial roots and branches of trees partly cover the walls, giving a creepy atmosphere at the ruins. It is interesting to learn that in the olden days, the old lighthouse looked like Cape Bojeador of Burgos, Ilocos Norte.

When the Spanish lighthouse became no longer operational, a new one was built sometime after 1920. The 2nd lighthouse is the white-painted structure beside the rusty remains of the old tower. It is a 38-feet high hourglass-shaped metal tower which I mistook for a communications tower. Adding confusion to me is the 3rd lighthouse which our guide pointed to us. Actually, the lantern is not housed in a tower but set on a metal frame so I thought maybe it shouldn’t be called a lighthouse... but that’s just my opinion. In any case, it now serves as the beacon for seafarers.

Entrance Fee: P10/Adult; P5/Child

• Photography

Trappist Monastery

by kemisteryoso Updated Jul 17, 2011

We went straight to the monastery after we checked out from Raymen at 12 nn and had a quick shopping. We were told that it is where we can buy the best goodies in all of Guimaras made by the monks themselves. It is located in brgy. San Miguel and about 15 minutes travel from Poblacion, Nueva Valencia. We told the driver to drop us by the monastery and paid him P18.00. It is not far from the highway and there's a signpost outside the main entrance. Their main product are Mango Jam, Guava Jelly, Pineapple jam, Mango bar, Otap, biscocho, Pulvoron, mango candy and more. I bought Pineapple jam, Mango Bar and Otap. I wanted to buy Mango Jam too but it’s not available that time maybe because it is not mango season in Guimaras during our visit. By the way you will love the mango bar so you should try it.

Hike Balaan- Bukid

by kemisteryoso Updated Jun 15, 2011

Near the summit

This place is our last destination in Guimaras maybe because of its proximity to Jordan. Only 10 minutes tricycle ride from the port and the fare is only P10.00 but we paid the trike driver P100.00 but he will wait for us so that we will have a sure transportation on our return to the port.
    I won't forget this particular trip, I thought there are concrete stairs with rest points along the way like what they have at Mt. Tapyas in Coron Town. I forgot to buy bottled water so our climb was a real agony on my part. Trikes are not able to carry you up to the top because of the rough and steep road. The road at the base seems okay but as you climb the hill its getting more rough and steeper.
    Balaan Bukid is the place where Catholics in the area go during Lenten Season to commemorate the Agony and crucifixion of Jesus Christ or simple The Stations of the Cross. Murals of each station can be seen as you travel towards the Summit. I thought I will give up when I reached Station 7 but my friends decided to finish the ordeal so I continued by resting on each station. The pressures of my back pack made things worst. I should have catch up with my friends so that I have someone to talk to and forget my sweating but I failed so what I did aside from resting on every station is looking around and enjoying the green surroundings.
    I saw the Cross and I know I'm near but it still need few more hike on a stony steep path. The hike took 45 minutes and the view at the summit is panoramic. There's an Ave Maria Purisima chapel where we prayed for our safe trip back to Manila and enjoyed the view of Iloilo city and the Iloilo straight. The Jordan port can also be seen at the summit. We took pictures of the beautiful scenery and jumping shots.

• miguel_arcangel's Profile Photo

Guisi Lighthouse

by miguel_arcangel Written Feb 6, 2011

Based on the history of the place, this was established to guide vessels that usually pass through the beach in the early times.

Hike to the top of a hill near the beach where you can find the ancient lighthouse that was built in the 18th century. Guisi lighthouse is one of the oldest in the Philippines. Just beside the lighthouse are ruins of a settlement during the Spanish era.

• Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Guimaras Island

Comments

Guimaras Island Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Guimaras Island things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guimaras Island sightseeing.

View all Guimaras Island hotels