Kalayaan Travel Guide

Lakeshore Town of Kalayaan
    Avocado-Shaped Swimming Pool

Kalayaan Things to Do

• Have A Heart; Help Rebuild The Church

As mentioned, the San Juan de Bautista Church is still undergoing repairs/renovations. Catholics who have gone there for visita iglesia, upon seeing the dismal state of the church especially when it was still roofless, voluntarily donated cash for the church repairs.If you happen to pass by, please help by donating whatever you can afford. Although...

• Visita Iglesia To Kalayaan Church

Kalayaan Church is also known as San Juan de Bautista Church. The centuries-old church structure has seen better days, as it had experienced the ravages of natural calamities. It is one of the poorest parishes in the province of Laguna; their Parish Priest often has to go from one Parish to another to beg for contributions just to gather money for...

• Exotic Mini-Zoo

Much to the delight of diners, especially the children, is the mini-zoo of Exotic Restaurant. They have 5 pythons, a hornbill, monkeys, rabbits, tropical birds, exotic fish, etc.

Kalayaan Restaurants

by cyndymc Updated Jun 30, 2009

Not to be missed is the Exotic Restaurant which has put Kalayaan in the tourism map. It prides itself with the honor of being a hall of famer in the category of cleanest and most beautifully landscaped restaurant.

Exotic Restaurant is not only sought for its exotic foods, but also for the magnificent surroundings that energize the tired and hungry travelers. There is also a mini-zoo, video-karaoke bar, and swimming pool. The owners of the restaurant are very hospitable to diners, and the service staff are very efficient.

There is a guarded parking space infront of the restaurant, and a bigger parking lot at the side was opened to meet the demands of its growing customers.

(You may see more pictures in my Laguna Travel Page)

Favorite Dish: We didn't dare eat snakes or wild pig meat. We liked their frog adobo sa gata, sinigang, grilled liempo, halo-halo

Signage of Exotic Restaurant Waiting Area Swimming Pool Area Sample Menu Awards Proudlu Displayed In Their Dining Hall

Kalayaan Shopping

by cyndymc Written Jun 30, 2009

The Souvenir Shop of Exotic Restaurant has a wide display of A-1 quality wood carvings from nearby town of Paete, and souvenir items from other parts of the Philippines. It also sells native delicacies like uraro from Liliw, broas from Quezon, etc.

What to buy: You can buy any souvenir or delicacy you fancy. What caught my attention are the export quallity one-of-a-kind bags made from wood, which were surprisingly light. I had the impression that being made of wood, they would be heavy to carry. Quite expensive though.

What to pay: Expect a higher price for the souvenir items and delicacies, compared to other roadside stalls. The wooden bags cost from P1,800 to P3,000 each.

Export Quality Wooden Bags One-of-a-Kind Wooden Bags

Kalayaan Local Customs

• Hospitality Even To Strangers

Hospitality is one trait of Filipinos in general. In Kalayaan, we had a taste of Filipino hospitality in different situations. At the church, although it is a practice to close the church on Mondays, the sacristan mayor opened the doors and turned on the lights for us so we could pay a visit to the Blessed Sacrament and take some pictures. At The...

• Sun-drying of Palay (Rice) Grains On The...

As in other small towns in Laguna, locals sun-dry their palay (rice) grains on the concrete road. It is ironical that the government spends a lot of money to make concrete roads to make it easier for motorists to reach the town, but locals "block" the roads by spreading their palay grains to dry under the sun. It has been part of their culture to...

• Kalayaan Hotels

0 Hotels in Kalayaan

Kalayaan Warnings and Dangers

by cyndymc Updated Jul 2, 2009

The way up to the Kalayaan Twin Falls is not totally concrete steps; most of the steps are carved mountain soil which can be slippery, especially when wet. Not all the stairs have railings, so it is difficult to go up. In fact, I slipped, but fortunately I held on to the railings in time. I didn't dare go up anymore to the 2nd falls where the stairs had no railings. Those planning to go there can find some help in a walking stick. It's also important to wear the porper footwear with good traction.

Oops, I Slipped So The Photo is Blurry! No Railings On Stairs Going To The Other Falls Slippery Way To The Waterfalls Area
    • Photography
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Mountain Climbing

Kalayaan What to Pack

by cyndymc Updated Jul 1, 2009

Luggage and bags: Beltbag and/or small backpack

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: light and absorbent fabric clothing

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Your maintenance medicines, including antihistamine if prone to allergy; sunblock; insect repellant (if going to the forest/falls); wet towellettes or wipes and talcum powder to freshen up sweaty body

Photo Equipment: point & shoot or DLSR/videocam, tripod, lenses & filters

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: picnic mat, portable griller

Miscellaneous: Spare footwear: I didn't realize how important this was until my signature rubber shoes' soles "gave up" on me. I forgot to put my trekking/traveling sandals on the car so my husband lent me his spare sandals. I knew I'd look like Goofy or Ronal McDonald with the oversized footwear, but I had no choice because I wanted to go to the waterfalls area (lol)

My Oversized Sandals
    • Photography
    • Mountain Climbing

Kalayaan Off The Beaten Path

by cyndymc Written Jun 30, 2009

A shrine with the pilgrim image or replica of the statue of the Our Lady of Manaoag in Pangasinan can be found in Brgy. San Antonio, Kalayaan. Many devotees visit the shrine because it is much easier to go to Laguna than go directly to Pangasinan... Unfortunately, we didn't have time to search for it because we had other things in our schedule, but I'm posting this tip so other devotees would know about it. I will definitely go there on our next Kalayaan trip. Who knows, you might go ther ahead of me.

• Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Kalayaan

Comments

Explore Deeper into Kalayaan
Map of Kalayaan