Amlan Travel Guide

• Street scene, Amlan, Negros, Philippines.
    Street scene, Amlan, Negros,...
    by planxty
  • Amlan Paradise restaurant, Negros, Philippines.
    Amlan Paradise restaurant, Negros,...
    by planxty
  • Amlan Paradise restaurant, Negros, Philippines.
    Amlan Paradise restaurant, Negros,...

Amlan Restaurants

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Written Feb 29, 2012

If you have not read the introduction on my Amlanpage, I should explain that the time I visited this reataurant was less than two hours after a 6.9 magnitude earthquake close by which eventually transpired to have led to large loss of life, so any impression must be taken in context.

Amlan Resort is one of a string of fairly upmarket resorts alng the beachfront in this area, and I picked it merely at random. When I entered, the place was just about deserted although I don't believe this was to do with the earthquake. Averyone in Negros Oriental is reporting the quietest season they can remember. Indeed, the waiter confirmed to me that they had only a couple of guests staying at the time.

I enquired if I could dine (it was about 1300) and was offered a choice of the inside air-con restaurant or the outside verandah, bot of which are pictured. I chose the outside so I could have a smoke. A beer was quickly brought and I settled down to peruse the menu. It is slightly odd trying to study a menu and simultaneously work out your escape route should the ground suddenly decide to move again.

The menu offers the usual resort mix of local and Western food and is not overpriced considering the surroundings and type of establishment it is. I generally prefer to eat local food when I travel, so I opted for the pochero. If you don't know, pochero is either a very hearty soup or a slightly watery stew. Recipes vary greatly from chef to chef but the standard feature is that it features large chunks of beef on the bone.

The order was taken quickly enough although the meal did take a little while to arive. I suppose they had to fire the kitchen up, and it was worth waiting for. I large plate of very good pochero eventually arrived, nicely seasoned and with plenty of meat and veg. The meat was extremely tender and literally fell off the bone which was handy as a spoon was the only cutlery provided. I presume they knew how tender their beef was.

Favorite Dish: I have only eaten here once but the beef pochero was excellent.

Amlan Paradise restaurant, Negros, Philippines. Amlan Paradise restaurant, Negros, Philippines. Amlan Paradise restaurant, Negros, Philippines. Amlan Paradise restaurant, Negros, Philippines.
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Amlan

Comments

Amlan Travel Guide
Map of Amlan