Valencia Travel Guide

• Central Park, Valencia, Negros, Philippines.
    Central Park, Valencia, Negros,...
    by planxty
  • Street Scene, Valencia, Negros, Philippines.
    Street Scene, Valencia, Negros,...
    by planxty
    Steaming road, Valencia, Philippines.

Valencia Restaurants

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Dexter's Pizza, Valencia, Negros, Philippines.

by planxty Written Mar 7, 2012

I was in Valencia one day and fancied a quick bite of lunch so I thought a small pizza might fit the bill. I had seen Dexter's pizza and went in there where I was greeted by friendly staff. The menu on the wall (no table menus) looked quite extensive and there qwere some interesting options I had not tried before and was just getting the old gastric juces going until I started to read the small print, which gives rise to the title of this tip.

Pizzas come in 6, 10, 12 qnd 15 (party) inch sizes and I only wanted a small meal so I wanted a 6" one. Well, here is the problem, they only offer the 6" in two varieties. At the other end of the scale, the party one is ony available in certain varieties as well. I really do not understand this as they obviously have all the bases sizes and all the toppings so why can't they offer all pizzas in all sizes? It seems ridiculous to me. When it eventually arrived, it wasn't great. It was so memorable I cannot even remember which of the two I went for but I do remember the base was doughy and tough and it really wasn't that good.

I would give this place and, indeed, the whole chain, a wide berth. OK, it is cheap and the staff are friendly but that is about all you can say for it. There are plenty of good pizza places around in the Philippines so why bother with this?

Favorite Dish: I have only eaten here once, and it will only be the once, so I would not have a favourite dish.

Amie and Dadie's eatery, Valencia, Philippines. 2 more images

by planxty Written Mar 7, 2012

It seems strange to be writing a "restaurant" tip about what is effectively a little shack in the middle of a busy market but it serves food and drink and that is suffiient definition for me.

I discovered this place whilst taking shelter from an unseasonal and very heavy rainstorm. I thought it rude not to order something and it was not yet beer o'clock (although such is served) I ordered a coffee and helped myself to one of the fine selection of cakes and breads that were just sitting out on the table. The fruit cake was rich, moist and utterly delicious. Somewhat incongruously, there was also a plate of boiled eggs but these didn't take my fancy at the time.

This place is also, amongst other things what is called an eatery here and offered a selection of hot meals. I did not partake myself but the offerings looked tasty and were most definitely home-cooked, I watched them do it!

It is basically an honour system in operation here, just help yourself and tell the young lady what you have had. In truth, it was a matter of pointing to indicate that as English is at something of a premium here although the friendliness of staff and locals alike was much in evidence. It never ceases to amaze me how you can "converse" and have a laugh even without a common language. The rain poured down and we all hunkered down until it was over when I paid a few pesos for my purchases.

OK, not exactly haute cuisine and it was only coffee and cake but it was a great little interlude on what turned out to be a fairly washed out day.

I subsequently returned here in better weather and with another Filipina VT member and it was more of the same. If you happen to be in Valencia Market for whatever reason do drop in, you will be warmly welcomed.

Favorite Dish: Well, the coffee and fruit cake were great.

• Beer Tasting

• Valencia Hotels

0 Hotels in Valencia

Valencia Off The Beaten Path

Road sign, Valencia, Philippines. 4 more images

by planxty Written Apr 14, 2012

Firstly, let me explain the positioning of this tip on VT. I am putting it on the Valencia page as the place I am writing about is in the Municipality of Valencia, although it is much more easily accessed from Dumaguete but I am a little odd about putting things in the right places here. OK, call me weird but that is the way I am.

My friend, a long term resident of this area, had told me about geothermal springs "up the mountain" as they refer to it locally. I knew of the existence of a local powerplant drawing this power and having lived through an earthquake here I know of the volcanic / seismic / geothermal or whatever qualities of the area. It literally is explosive. On a day's aimless and wonderful riding I found myself heading along this road and decided to have a look to see what he was talking about.

I find I am repeating myself in a lot of these tips but you may have come to this page randomly and may not know. For the others, please bear with me. In December 2011 a typhoon and subsequent flood literally laid this place to waste. This was only a matter of weeks before I got here and things are not much improved. I suspect they will not be for some considerable time. I mention this as it is relevant to your travelling to this place. Although not far from a major city, the road here is decimated, I mean really wiped out. If you are not using local drivers / riders, you will need to know what you are doing on a bike. A dirt bike, even a 200, is great. I went on a 125cc roadbike and managed it bit it does take a little experience. It is not the Karakoram Highway by any means but it is still a little tasty in parts.

OK, there is not much to see really except the sight, unusual to me, of steam literally appearing from the ground. I appreciate that people from many other place will find this commonplace but it impressed me. The photos will give you an idea. I have to say that coming across a roadsign warning me of "steaming ground" was a bit of a new one on me. I'm not sure if that is in the Highway Code written exam in the UK.

Naturally, in any of these kind of places the smell is sulphurous but nowhere near as bad as that which I encountered in New Zealand. If you carry on, you come to the village of Caidiocan which is the gateway to the power plant but there is a police / security roadblock here. I heard you can get a guided trip round there with a special pass but I didn't make enquiries. If I manage it, I shall obviously report back.

To get here you need to take the road out of Dumaguete which goes past the Tierra Alta compound (see septerate tip). Anyone will tell you where it is. Follow this on over the semi-obliterated road until you come to a junction. You will see a sign to the right for San Antonio but go left and follow on again. You really can't miss it as the road passes through it.

• Photography

Instant Answers: Valencia

Comments

Valencia Travel Guide
Map of Valencia