Climb Mt Tapyas, Coron

Coron Island
  • machomikemd's Profile Photo

Mount Tapyas

by machomikemd Written Mar 13, 2015

Mount Tapyas is located in Coron Town (different from Coron Island as Coron Town is located in Busuanga Island) and is a famous hiking activity in the town. The Mountain (actually it is just a hill as it is just 680 feet (210 meters) height and to differentiate a hill from a mountain, it should be 1,000 feet (334 meters) in height or more). If you are physically fit, then you can hike from the town to the top as there is a concrete staircase going to the top for a total of 718 steps (will take about 1 hour if you are not an athletic type) of which you can see panoramic views of Coron Island and the other Calamianes Islands Far away and the remains of the Mount Tapyas Cross which was destroyed by Typhoon Haiyan in 2013.

• Adventure Travel
    • Mountain Climbing

• IamPam's Profile Photo

Survive Mt. Tapyas

by IamPam Written Jul 27, 2014

To quote the song of The Script "I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing" was the exact feeling when I reached the top of Mt. Tapyas. After all, finishing all 700 steps was not an easy task, I nearly fainted! And I mean---really fainted. We started our climb at around 5:40am walking from our lodge to the bottom stair of the mountain so that we could catch the sunrise.

At the top, we were not disappointed with the view of the sunrise from Mt. Tapyas however, the climb down was another grueling activity. I'm recommending this to super buffs and mountaineers.

Going up! Coron sunrise Catching our breath Going down

• davidjo's Profile Photo

SUNSET OR SUNRISE

by davidjo Written Jun 21, 2014

Mount Tapyas can be approached from St Augustine Street, near the center of town as the path starts from there. There are over 700 concrete steps to the top and well worth the climb to catch the sunrise or sunset. Don't forget your camera and bottled water as the climb can drain all the energy from you. There are concrete benches to rest on the way up bad sadly most of the metal roofing sheets above the benches were blown away during typhoon Yolanda. I met a 65 year old man who climbs to the top 3 times every second day, and his brother who amazingly climbs to the top 5 times everyday!!! (good exercise for the locals). From the top you can see a view of the town as well as Coron Island, the sea and the surrounding countryside.

Coron Island the steps begin here view of Coron Town sunset at the top
    • Photography

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo

Climb Mount Tapyas

by kemisteryoso Updated May 26, 2011

I hiked Mt. Tapyas around 5 PM after I had my pansit merienda at Jackie's Restaurant. I reached the summit where the big cross is located in 30 minutes but some will take 1 hour to get into the top, it depends on your level of fitness. I am still healthy though I was soaked in my own sweat. I lose my extra pudding along the way :) It is around 723 big steps so you must have the determination. The trail was cemented with railings that you can use for support when you are tired. At the summit I saw the whole view of the little town of Coron and the bay with islands and islets around. I also love the sunset over Sangat Island. It is advisable to climb early in the morning or around 5 Pm in the afternoon. There is no entrance fee and open 24 hours.

• anliz99's Profile Photo

Climb Mt Tapyas

by anliz99 Written Apr 20, 2009

Just walk around town and look for the sign or ask a tricycle driver to bring you there. It's 700+ steps going up so it's not an easy walk. But there are a lot of benches that you can use as 'pit stops'.

Best time to go is early in the morning or late afternoon near sunset.

You'll get a great view of the entire Coron town. There's also a huge cross on top.

Cross on top Mt Tapyas with the cross on top
    • Mountain Climbing

• drunkenmaster4's Profile Photo

Climb Mt. Tapyas

by drunkenmaster4 Written Jun 28, 2007

Mt. Tapyas has a high viewdeck where you can see Coron and its surrounding islands. A picturesque sight! The view deck has a huge cross watching over Coron. You would need 30 minutes to climb up and down the view deck.

Instant Answers: Coron

Comments

Hotels Near Climb Mt Tapyas
4.5 out of 5 stars