Coron Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by davidjo
  • 3 or 4 gas stations in town and that's about it!!!
    3 or 4 gas stations in town and that's...

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Coron

• f8stop's Profile Photo

Insect-repellant needed!

by f8stop Updated Jun 16, 2008

Before venturing off to islands or coves, it is best to cover all exposed skin with insect-repellant. Especially in kayangan lake. The sights are breathtaking and you wouldn't want the moment to be ruined by stings of dragon-sized mosquitoes.

• missmarianne's Profile Photo

let yar eyes roll over... around the area..

by missmarianne Written Jul 26, 2010

on the shore, right at the beachfront, there could be sting ray resting their exhausted tail almost on the shore. There was an incident when a girl was just walking out of the water.. literally walking on the shore after a few seconds..when she suddenly fell on the sand crying hard and.. she could not stand anymore. She stepped on a sting ray. NOw, she is paralyzed.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• Barracuda Lake, Sea Urchin, Unsafe Boats

by seaurchinako Written Mar 21, 2009

Barracuda lake - be informed that the limestone that you need to hike is sharp, steep and slippery. The wooden handles are not fortified.

Sea Urchin - There are a lot around siete pecados, and Kalachuchi. Sarap kainin! Masakit ma-sting! Some are also around Twin Lagoon so be careful.

Unsafe Boats - Be sure to have enough life jackets. The water is deep and if you are not a good swimmer it'll be dangerous to go island hopping without it.

• f8stop's Profile Photo

Bring flashlight...

by f8stop Written Sep 10, 2007

if you plan to trek atop Mt. Tapias 4pm onwards, do bring flashlights if you can as some lightposts may not be turned on (or simply not working) as you descend the mountain at dusk. this could be quite hazardous if you are not gifted with a batlike night vision. =)

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo

Hard Rock Disco

by kemisteryoso Updated Sep 18, 2010

For me, it is not a good idea to spend your night on this Disco bar. Especially for tourists because of security reasons. I am exploring the town to see some good place to party and because of its proximity to Sea diver I tried this one. I am very disappointed because everything is in chaos, no mirror, bad smelling and nothing fancy insideI noticed that it is the haven of local thugs but for the sake of experience I ordered 1 bottle of San miguel light and watched everything closely around me. Some are staring at me maybe because I am the only one drinking San miguel Light and they are drinking Mucho Red horse beer maybe. Everyone is very aggressive. And 30 minutes after 2 women started fighting each other at the dance floor and their Male friends hopped in and joined the brawl. I went to the far side of the disco house immediately and watched the staff trying to pacify everyone. I called the waitress and paid my bill and I heard shouting again ad I stepped outside. Go to Subasco the newly opened Disco Bar in town instead.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

SHELLS-YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

by davidjo Written Jun 13, 2014

many confiscated shells

Please don't try to take shells off of the island as they will be confiscated at the airport. All bags are thoroughly searched for these rare shells and if caught you may receive a fine , anything from 10,000 to 1,000,000 pesos and a jail sentence of 6-12 years. At the airport you can see a list of rare shells and a box containing all the confiscated shells. Philippines is one of the countries that has a large amount of rare shells so collectors and souvenir hunters, BE WARNED

WEAR LONG TROUSERS ON MOTORBIKE

by davidjo Written Jun 10, 2014

There are some nasty bugs in the Philippines and while motorbiking around the island i felt a sudden pain in my groin, and before i could stop my bike i felt another sharp pain.No time for modesty, i stopped the motorbike and took off my shorts and shook them around to find nothing, but on my groin there was a deep red mark which developed into a one inch blister after 30 minutes. By the time i returned to the GH at night the center of the bite/sting had turned whitish/yellow with the build up of puss and it was swollen all around the area, perhaps 3 inches in circumference. Fortunately over the next few days it slowly got better, but even now , 10 days later there is still a white mark on my skin. So i advise you to wear long pants while riding a bike which should prevent incidents like this from happening.
    I might add that i have bee bitten by different types of bee, ants, centipedes but never experienced this before , and don't know who is the culprit!

WEAR A HELMET or FACE A FINE

no helmet

In Coron Town i noticed that very few people wear a helmet while riding their motorbikes, but sometimes the police are on the outskirts of town stopping riders without helmets. I believe that the fine for this is around 400 pesos so when renting a bike ask for a helmet. All motor bike rental agencies have helmets for the tourists.

RELIEVE YOURSELF BEFORE CLIMBING MOUNT TAPYAS

by davidjo Written Jun 21, 2014

730 steps to the top, but no toilets on the way

It is 730 steps to the top of Mount Tapyas and takes 30-60 minutes depending how fit you are, but make sure that you perform your "morning constitutional" before you start climbing because the toilets that are about one third of the way up are completely destroyed. I needed to use them but the toilet bowls were completely broken, no water, debris, and there was sh*t everywhere among the ruined toilets, even wooden 2X3s to prevent you from entering. The area each side of the steps is clear and devoid of trees which makes it impossible to relieve oneself.

• Essential Life Jackets!

by seaurchinako Written Mar 21, 2009

Heard from another thread swedish guy patrick does not provide enough life jackets for the tourist.

So make sure before you leave the pier, ask for your life jackets! Text coast guard if they dont comply

• drunk, irresponsible and discourteous boatman

by toniprotacio Written Apr 15, 2010

we just got back from a 5D 4N vacation in Coron. 2nd day itinerary was made thru diycoron of Owen Ferrer. i think it was the biggest mistake i've made in may many years of planning itineraries for me & my friends during summers.. first off, i made arrangements with diycoron for the Calauit-Gutob (by boat) trip . since we are on a tight budget and i woulndn't want to subject myself to stress when we get to coron. i made contact with diy staff Judith and made the necessary downpayment to confirm the trip. it was in the itinerary sent to us that we are to leave the port at 4am. since we are travelling with a 3y/o kid, we tried our best to be there on time.when we got to the boat at exactly 4am, the snorkle we rented (thru diy of course) weren't there yet so we had to wait for a while. during that time, i felt something is not right or something is bound to happen.i don't know if i'm just overly excited or from lack of enough sleep but i smelled alcohol in the boatman's breath when he told us to wait for a while.we left the port at 415. after about 30mins or so, we heard a strong bump from below the boat.to make matters worst, the boatman and his 2 crews didn't notice it right away because they are sooo busy talking and teasing each other. only to find out after 15seconds that we hit a large part of the corals...if you have been a boatman for quite sometime i think you would know that it's almost always lowtide in the morning.after 30mins, a boat passed by. we overheard them questioning our boatman why he passed by that spot and not on the side where water runs deep. i saw the look on his face. he wasn't sorry. the sinister smile on his face was what pissed me off. i kept my mouth shut. i don't wanna ruin the day. we waited patiently until they fix the propeller. after almost another 30mins, we were off again but of course the boat is not in its proper condition anymore. we were running slow. i really started to worry. but then again, i didn't want to ruin the day. we passed by another port, they decided to stop by to borrow a propeller. i was just observing how they behave and act for all the inconvenience they caused us. they weren't in a hurry or panicking that we were behind schedule!! they were just taking their time. it is as if we weren't given a schedule and we didn't exist in the boat because nobody explained what was happening. we were out of the loop.. they were just talking amongst themselves.15mins or so have passed, the other guy came back empty handed. we knew they weren't able to borrow one. the boatman's assistance tried to pull-out the propeller from our boat. since they weren't in a hurry and continued being playful and all, he walked by the trigger. tragedies of all tragedies, he dropped the propeller. so he dived and looked for it for at least 5mins. he could have walked inside our boat so it could have been avoided. they found someone who could fix it. we waited for another 15-20mins. we were restless because the sun is up and Calauit is about 2hrs away from where we were.10mins after we left the port, another annoying thing happened, the thermos toppled and fell overboard. we had to go back and get it. we later found out that there's no hot water in it and they have another thermos! minutes are being wasted on stupid mistakes.we were behind schedule by more than an hour already. since all of us were educated, we maintained composure and kept our cool.however, what was so infuriating was that no one wants to talk and explain to us what are the other options, what they plan to do or at least explain..they did what they want without consulting us first esp when they planned to make a stopover in another island.bravely, i asked the boatman what island is it and how far was calauit. he kept stuttering and speaking in tongues (we couldn't understand what he was talking about). he insisted we have to eat!! i don't know who is hungrier, them or us! from our group we just wanted to get to Calauit and start the tour! finally, when i deciphered his stammering words, i figured we weren't in calauit yet. where was calauit? well,it was just across, about 5mins. my patience is wearing thin, i told the boatman to bring us to calauit right away because we were delayed by 2hrs already.. breakfast can wait but not the animals we were eager to encounter.good thing, we enjoyed Calauit so much.to cut my long story short, the itinerary the DIYCORON gave us was not followed. we didn't get to snorkle in coral garden and lusong shipwreck because we got there past 5pm. how could you snorkle if you can't see anything... when we got back Coron almost 7pm, i spoke to Judith and ask not to charge us with the snorkle since we weren't able to use it. we also asked for some kind of discount since we didn't get to 3 destinations that were in the itinerary. but to no avail. they still charged us for the full amount.. worst thing is that, no one, i mean NO ONE, from their end apologized on what happened.. if you go to Coron, please avoid getting the services of the boat named SAMURAI. It could be your worst nightmare!! come to think of it, we didn't get the names of the boatcrew and the boatman...i realized that they didn't even introduced themselves.. so we decided to call the boatman, WOLVERINE!!! Worst one, they didn't know the names of most of the islands. 1 crew didn't even know anything at all because he told me it was his first time...WHAAATTT THE HELL!!!!

• iclee's Profile Photo

Mosquito Alert

by iclee Written Sep 13, 2010

When you visit Kayangan Lake, do NOT fail to bring anti-mosquito bite stuff. I brought Human Nature Citronella Body Spray and it kept the mosquitoes at bay during the whole duration of the island hop.

This is especially useful during the rainy season. So beware.

• National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Beaches

• donnanolasco's Profile Photo

jellyfish...be careful...

by donnanolasco Written Feb 1, 2011

going to Kayangan Lake from the boat walking to the shore... then I felt a little itchy just above my ankle and when I look at it it thought it was just a string and when I get to the shore it was hurting already and then they recognized the "string" was from jellyfish....to make the story short I still have the scar look alike anklet string after 6 months :(.....so be careful of those.. watch where you are walking

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beaches

MAKE SURE THAT YOUR DRINKS ARE COLD

by davidjo Written Jun 10, 2014

We went on a day trip from Coron by boat which included lunch but unfortunately when it came time to eat the coke and water was at normal air temperature as there was no cooler with ice, so make sure when booking your day trip that cold drinks will be available.

BASURA------RUBBISH

by davidjo Written Jun 12, 2014

Be careful while walking around as the whole of the seafront in Coron is full of rubbish and is impossible to swim in town. Many of the houses built on stilts the sewage goes directly in to the sea. Some places you must hold your nose while walking around.

Instant Answers: Coron

Comments

Coron Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Coron warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Coron sightseeing.