Places to eat in Province of Palawan

Most Viewed Restaurants in Province of Palawan

• June.b's Profile Photo

Kinabuchs: Tourist-popular restaurant.

by June.b Written Sep 18, 2013

Located along one of the main thoroughfare of the city – Rizal Avenue – along a couple of KTV bars on the other side of the road.

We sat at the outdoor dining area although they do have indoor dining for those who don’t want to be bothered by the sometimes noisy vehicles passing along the main road and the usual throng of mosquitoes. There are several wicker chairs and wooden tables for the outdoor dining roofed with huts made of grass straws, nice lamps, some star-shaped hanging on long bamboos and trees. There are big blue-coloured mosquito lamps sitting at some corners, nonetheless, the pesky mozkies knows how to get pass it.

The place is popular among tourists and travelers with the presence of several foreign diners, and drinkers sitting on the nice bar area with billiard, and flat panel TV. There’s a large open cum parking area with a giant projector screen where they’re showing sports channels, basketball that is, it’s kind of the unofficial (or official) sports of the country, although I would expect that on some days football and rugby are on the screen, after all, expats, foreign residents and tourists frequent the place. It’s like those Irish pubs in Chiangmai where we used to hang out in the evening after a full days tiring Thai massage lessons (yes my friends, I took a 2-week massage course in Thailand) and the same ones also in Bali, Indonesia.

Kinabuch is famous for its “Tamilok”, this I wouldn’t dare explain, I would never venture ordering it, not that it’s inedible, they say it tastes like clams or any other seafood but the aesthetic of the thing isn’t really appealing to me. Google the word or check Wikipedia for futher details. But who knows , one day I might be trying it. But for now, I went for the safest bet – a basketful of fried chicken and French fries. Crunchy from the outside, tender-a-bit from the inside, the serving is big that I felt like it’s good for 2 people, well, I’m not a big-eater anyway. The fries taste really good, crispy and tasty. Although, and a big although, I was not really totally happy with the fried chicken, yummy-looking from the outside but inside it has a lot of dark part of meat, imagine a chicken meat battered with a tenderizer so hard that it got bruised near the bones. My nephew ordered a grilled chicken leg with rice and his wife chopped fried pork. I wouldn’t give an average verdict as yet as it was my first time dining at Kinabuch, perhaps on my second round, I’ll try some seafood, then I’ll give an update.

Kinabuch serves a variety of local cuisine – chicken, pork, beef, and all kind of seafood – cooked in different ways, mostly the local way.

For me, ambiance is better outdoor as it’s very countryside but with the presence of electronic stuff like the huge screen television and the imported drinks on the bar area. Sports fans loved those.

The staff sporting black shirt uniforms are polite and courteous. There are tables with the “reserved” signs sitting on top so it can get full probably on some nights, best to call for reservation if you don’t want to wait to be seated on days they’re busy.

Kinabuch Bar & Grill is located at 369 Rizal Avenue, Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines. Call to reserve at - International +6348 4345194 Local 048-4345194.

• kalui: tourist spot indeed

by eurofoodsnob Updated Aug 4, 2011

well, the exotic decor is tasty and there is that special tropical atmosphere a tourism professional will qualifies as " tropic romantic"...back home you will remember the decor and the quality of the light . about the food its not far from transparent . transparent is also the word for your statue versus the staff. price are reasonable ( at least for a swiss guy..)and we will definitely recommend it if you don't look for anything special about the culinary experience
    so 5 star for the decor
    2.5 star for the food

• enail's Profile Photo

Baker's Hill: Walk in the Park

by enail Written Aug 3, 2009

One of the unique restaurants in Puerto Princesa. Offers sumptuous bread and pastries. They also have a resto where you can eat "true" food. The bakery also displays its mini park with different animals, plants, cartoon characters, as well as playing ground for the kids. Best to hire a van when you go here coz jeeps are rare in the area.

• enail's Profile Photo

Ka Lui: A Cozy Ambiance

by enail Written Aug 3, 2009

Probably the most popular and most visited restaurant in Puerto Princessa. Best if you have reservations. Located just minutes away from the city proper. Cozy ambiance. Need to take off your shoes/slippers. Artworks are also displayed. Food is good but not that extraordinary.

Favorite Dish: seafoods pa din..hehe

• bluebug's Profile Photo

Squidos: Save your money

by bluebug Written Mar 7, 2008

This is the most popular restaurant in El Nido, and the owner knows it. Shestopped caring about service and quality apparently because she knows people will come regaurdless. I ordered a cesar slad with avocado. I ordered this because I have not had an avocado in almost a year and when I saw it on the menu I got excited. For 120 pesos I expected far more than what came out. It was tiny saucer, no bigger than the one you put your coffee cup on, with some lots of sour dressing, making the lettuce soggy, and some cheese grated on top. No avocado. Apparently there was no more left in the kitchen. I wish she had told me that. I was a waitress for 5 years, I don't ever send dishes back, but come on, it was such a ridculous portion and completely lacking the one thing that I wanted. Plus the woman was rude as hell. I kindly asked her to atleast add more lettuce so that it could be worth 120 pesos. She did and I was grateful for that.
    The next night a group of friends we met really wanted to try it out, so we went back with open minds. I ordered tuna pasta with olive oil and lemon. It was delicious. My boyfriend ordered the seafood spaghetti and it was terrible. The sauce might as well have been heated up ketchup. The seafood was old. Our friends were all pretty disappointed with the price. We actually ended up sitting with the owners husband. He was a nice French expat. We told him as nice as we could that his wife was not the nicvest person in the world, AND he agreed and apologized! Ugh poor guy. I tell you to go there for his sake, but don't waste your money. The place is over rated! Go support another ceaper local spot.

• dicdoc's Profile Photo

Kinabuchs Grill & Bar: Tamilok Challenge

by dicdoc Written Dec 31, 2007

If you want adventure and challenge go to Kinabuchs Grill and Bar. THey offer meals and alcoholic drinks. Nice place. They offer tamilok for P115 per order. Tamilok is also known as wood worm.

If you want to chill out and have fun you need to go to Kinabuchs.

• Beer Tasting

• chuwy98's Profile Photo

Ka Lui: Best Place to Hang out in Puerto

by chuwy98 Written Aug 30, 2007

You should never get out of Puerto Princessa without dropping by Ka Lui. Food is great and the ambience is excellent. Be warned though, you must be ready to take off your sandals as everybody in the resto walks around barefoot. The entire place is decorated in ethnic designs, different tables offer you different sitting arrangements. Be ready to sit on the bamboo floors with pillows to make you more comfortable. We stayed in Palawan for 3 nights and we ate at Ka Lui, twice! That says a lot and to think... we also came back to our hotel full on both occasions.

Favorite Dish: Try the Ka Lui Set menus. It Comes with your choice of seafood, uniquely cooked vegestable, soup and dessert. Yummy for only 150 Pesos, less than US$5. Great bargain. Also try their to die for Sinigang Seafood. Its the best one I've ever tasted in my life. I think they made it with fresh coconut juice and tamarind.

• victorcklau's Profile Photo

Ka Lui: Great place to eat

by victorcklau Written Feb 21, 2007

The first thing that struck me was that you have to take off your shoes at the entrace to the restaurant. From the gate entrance, there is a little path that leads you past a small garden before you reach the restaurant proper. You take off your shoes there and you will be guided to a table. They have quite a variety of seating arrangements. You can opt for the normal chair and table; or you can sit on the floor Japanese style; and they have areas where you can have your group to yourselves.

The food is nice. I ordered the standard and supposedly to be the best set lunch. There was a soup, then seaweeds (this is nice !) then 2 lovely prawns, some vege and rice together with a coconut. All for Peso 500.

• annabano's Profile Photo

Kahlui: Beautiful setting and ambiance

by annabano Written Jan 26, 2007

When you 1st see the restaurant you will be tempted to get inside because of its distinct style. The whole structure is made of kawayan. You will be asked to remove your shoe or sandals before you step inside. You may choose to sit in a conventional wooden chair or at the floor with huge pillows. The food is mostly seafood and grilled. The price is very economical. The menu is changed everyday and the caption for every menu has a distinct touch (watch for the wordings).

• Singles

Tribu Cafe at Puerto Pension: Tribu Cafe at Puerto Pension

by joysweet Written Jan 24, 2007

Serves continenal breakfast (comes with the rooms usually) - either at their Garden Cafe, at the veranda outside your room or at their restaurant at the 3rd floor overlooking the Wharf.

Favorite Dish: They have this upgrade promotion - eat all you can eggs (cooked in any way you want)

Bilao at Palayatok Restaurant: Bilao at Palayatok Restaurant

by joysweet Written Jan 24, 2007

Don't order their grilled tuna meal - my mum had a bum tummy after. :(

Athough ambiance of the restaurant was very cosy, some tables have a hammock installed.

Favorite Dish: I ordered grilled spareribs with java rice - about P90
    Mango Shake - about P40 i think

Balinsasayaw Restaurant: Balinsasayaw Restaurant

by joysweet Written Jan 24, 2007

This place is better appreciated during the day, but unfortunately we went there for dinner. The sunset was great, although I wasn't able to capture it.

Favorite Dish: The squid and shrimp were very fresh (were the only one i ate). Lato was a bit too salty as compared to Ka Lui's.

Ka Lui's: Ka Lui's

by joysweet Written Jan 24, 2007

One of the landmarks in PP, for me every visitor should eat here at least once. Best to have a reservation when you go (433-2580)

Favorite Dish: Seafood sisig was so yummy we had planned to come back for it. They have set menus (below 5h) with rice, seafood, soup and salad.

• BabyDinosaur's Profile Photo

Badjao Sea Front restaurant: For the sake my research hehehehehehe

by BabyDinosaur Written Jan 19, 2007

Food is good not too expensive and the ambience reall gives you a relaxing feeling. If you wanted to experience the beauty of mangroves and seashore while having a fine dinning better go to this restaurant. I'm planning to go back here soon.

Favorite Dish: ala, ala akong favorite basta masarap!!!!!!!! yummy

• enamorado7107's Profile Photo

Balinsasayaw Restaurant: One of a kind find

by enamorado7107 Updated Oct 30, 2006

If you ask any of the Puerto Princesa tour guides for good food, they'll probaly tell you to go to Ka Lui or Badjao Seafront Restaurant. But if it turns out that Ka Lui is full or Badjao Seafront seems out of way from your location, then head off to Balinsasayaw Restaurant. The food is good and the prices are cheap. You can get a full seafood meal for just aroung 60 PHP (just more than 1 USD). There are lots of local patrons and the place is usually full at around dinner time. Don't miss the house specialty, Egg Nest Soup.

Province of Palawan Hotels

Baquit Island Hotels
Culion Island Hotels
2 Reviews - 10 Photos

Instant Answers: Province of Palawan

Comments

Province of Palawan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Province of Palawan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Province of Palawan sightseeing.
Map of Province of Palawan