Sabang Warnings and Dangers

Always wear your life jacket!!!
    by davidjo
  • Busy Yourself W/ Other Things Than Wandering About
    Busy Yourself W/ Other Things Than...
    by cyndymc
  • Long Stretch Of Beach Viewed From Sabang Port
    Long Stretch Of Beach Viewed From Sabang...
    by cyndymc

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Sabang

• davidjo's Profile Photo

WATCH THE SEA

by davidjo Written Jul 7, 2013
    Always wear your life jacket!!!

More than one bangka (outrigger boat) has capsized on the way from Sabang to the Underground River and the passengers had to be rescued, so if you suspect the sea is too rough or a storm appears to be approaching it is best to avoid getting in the boat. I have met some of the survivors who have lost their camera, passport and other valuable items, all regretted making the trip.
    These days this is better controlled and the bangkas will be ordered not to leave if it looks like the conditions are not suitable.

Swim With Caution!

by cyndymc Written Mar 31, 2011
    Long Stretch Of Beach Viewed From Sabang Port

The long stretch of Sabang Beach, especially the part at the northern side of the port is so enticing for people who love to swim and feel the waves on their bodies. Be forewarned that there is strong undertow when the seas are rough. Heed the warning signs along the beach to know the areas prone to undertow.

Some of our companions went for a dip after lunch, and complained of some "stingy" sensations while in the water that caused some irritation. Our guide said the stingis probably due to tiny bits of jellyfish tentacles carried by the waves.

• Beaches

If Possible, Avoid Using The CR @ UGR Park

by cyndymc Written Mar 31, 2011

When I went to the comfort room, there was no light, the floor was wet and slippery, most of the cubicles cannot be locked, and there was no hook to hang my bag (at least in the cubicle I used). It was not only dangerous, as one could slip on the wet floor in the semi-dark room. I believe the poor condition in the CR was also an embarrassing sight for foreign tourists. I volunteered to “guard” the cubicle door of an old Caucasian woman as I saw her eyes wondering what to do with the door that kept swinging open. But when it was already my turn to use the toilet, I had to hold on to the door with one hand while holding my bag with the other hand; I couldn’t figure how I could pull my pants down and hold on to both my bag and the door while trying to hold my shirt up. Finally, I just let go of the door, anyway it was dark. I prayed that no one would enter the CR yet.

Whew, what an experience! If there is no electricity or standby generator, can’t the Park Administrators at least put some aromatic votive candles near the lavatory? Can’t they assign cleaners to constantly mop the floor? Can’t they put even a big nail on the door to serve as hook for bags as one used the toilet? Can’t they put simple hook locks on the cubicles?

Watch Out For Monkeys!

by cyndymc Written Mar 30, 2011
    Warning Sign Re; Feeding Of Wildlife

While registering, I couldn’t help but be distracted by the monkeys freely roaming around, their watchful eyes waiting for an opportunity to “grab” something edible from tourists. Our guide kept reminding us to maintain a distance of at least 1.5 meters from the monkeys, and to avoid feeding them. There are signs reminding tourists that feeding the monkeys could affect their natural behavior. There have been instances where monkeys forcefully got mineral water bottles and/or packs of chips from tourists, thereby leaving scratches. I imagine such behavior could leave an emotional scar or trauma on children who might be shocked that the monkey they thought were friendly live stuff toys are actually fierce creatures. We all cooperated though the monkeys looked really cute. We had wanted to have some close up shots but our guide joked that if we disregarded his warning, such defiance will affect his natural behavior. We all understood what he meant so we cooperated.

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

You Might Be Bumped Off If...

by cyndymc Updated Mar 30, 2011
    Busy Yourself W/ Other Things Than Wandering About

Patience is a virtue, but some people find this so hard to exercise sometimes. It is so tempting to explore the virgin forest around the waiting area for the UGR Tour. There will be time for that after your tour. It is best to wait patiently for your turn. Otherwise, if you wander around and you are not present when your number is called, you will be "bumped off". When you return from wandering, you cannot choose to ride the boat whenever you want. You have to wait for other groups that might have vacant seats on the boat. You might earn the ire of your group tour members if you delay the day's schedule.

Instant Answers: Sabang

Comments

Sabang Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Sabang warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sabang sightseeing.