Quezon Travel Guide

Noah's Ark

Quezon Things to Do

• lakwatserang-ligaw's Profile Photo

by lakwatserang-ligaw Written Sep 24, 2014

This church is one of the oldest churches in the country. Like many of the old churches this one also suffered a lot – from natural disasters to world wars.The first church was created in 1593 but ruined in 1629. It was constructed again between 1630 and 1640 but seriously damaged by fire in 1733. Reconstructed again in 1738 but partially destroyed during the World War II in 1945. It was renovated by the Philippine Historical Commission in 1966.

The church is located at the town proper of Lucban and near the supermarket. So expect street vendors within the vicinity. There should be a monument just beside the fence of the church but because of the vendors, it almost can't be seen. I was looking for a good angle but because of the vendors I ended up climbing up the wall. Almost perfect, but a jeepney is parked and blocking the view.

Make sure you don’t miss checking the church’s miniature. It’s at the right side from the main entrance of the church. The miniature is decorated with lights and it will be switched on by the caretaker as soon as he finds out you are taking pictures.
    There are also small houses with Pahiyas decorations in front of the church's miniature. Old paintings/pictures of the church and events are also posted on the wall above the miniature church.

Outside the church is a basketball court and well-made benches. It’s my first time to see a church with a basketball court in front. Most of them are located outside the vicinity or far from the church.
    For some reason I want my mother to see this church, so I will definitely come back here with her.

How to get to Lucban Church from Quezon Premier Hotel:
    o Take a jeepney that passes by the hotel bound for Lucena City/Bayan. Tell the driver to drop you off at the Diversion Road. Regular Fare is Php8.000.

o At the Diversion Road, go to the jeepney terminal bound for Lucban located just beside Jollibee. Tell the driver to drop you off near the church. You can also ask the local passengers where the church is. I did and the man pointed to me where to go when we arrived at the town proper. Regular fare is Php30.00 and travel time is less than 45 minutes.

Note: The jeepney going to Lucban is different from the ones in the city. It’s big and doesn’t leave until all seats are taken.

Lucban Churh Lucban Church Lucban Church's Miniature inside the Church Church's Altar Lucban Church

• lakwatserang-ligaw's Profile Photo

by lakwatserang-ligaw Written Sep 24, 2014

This is I think the number one tourist spot in the province. This has become a popular place for families (Roman Catholics) that want to feel and experience the presence of God. The main attraction is the 50-foot statue of the ascending Christ from atop a hill.

To get to the hill, you have to walk for 5 to 10 minutes from the main entrance. It might take longer if you want to wander around first. Along the way from the entrance, you'll find a lot of holy statues.

Before you reach the hill, you'll pass by the Kamay ni Hesus Healing Church first. When I arrived, the mass has started already. I don't want to attend a mass that's already started so I just passed by the church going to the statue.

Below are the schedules of regular & healing mass at the church.
    Healing Mass Schedule:
    Wednesdays & Saturdays - 9:30am
    1st Saturday - 5:00pm (Anticipated)

Regular Mass Schedule:
    Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays - 9:00am
    Sundays - 7:30am, 9:00am, 10:30am, 11:30am & 4:00pm

Located just behind the church are the other attractions. You have an option of checking them out before or after you climb the hill. The most popular among the attractions are the Garden of Eden & the Noah's Ark.

Garden of Eden shows statues of Adam & Eve that represent their story. From when they were created and until the time they ate the apple.

What will caught your attention after entering the garden is the statue of the Archangels Gabriel and Lucifer. Showing how Gabriel defeated Lucifer in his evil form.

Noah's Ark the house of prayer and spirituality that serves as the house for the priests during retreat. I wished I can go inside the Ark, but I didn't try or even ask. It's a holy place and should be respected. Though I had a glimpse of their reception area.

Visiting Kamay ni Hesus is like an act of penance because one needs to climb more than 200 steps just to touch or see the statue.

Before you reach the statue, you will still pass by the life-size statues of the 14 Stations of the Cross. It's a zigzag climb because the path really passes by all of the stations.

That makes the climb more exhilarating and of course tiring. When I went there with my sister and my mother, I heard one of the kids said after reaching the top "Mamamatay na yata ako (I think I'm dying)". I can't even laugh because I'm also running out of breath.

When you reach the top, you will be rewarded with a refreshing view of the town and of course the statue. After your climb, you will love staying there for a moment and just look at the view.

When I visited the shrine again on my own, I actually timed my climb. Going up I did it for 8 minutes, that's with a couple of stops to catch my breath. And that's also because I did not stop at the 14 Stations of the Cross since I've seen them already. Going down took me 4 minutes with a just a stop to take a picture of the statue for the last time.

After the climb and when you are ready to exit, the Pietà statue will be your last stop. A lot of people take pictures with this statue so you really have to wait until they left if you want to take a picture of it.

A candle station can be found right after the statue of Pietà. You can light a candle for any wishes or petitions. You can either buy a candle here or from the vendors at the entrance of the shrine.

Souvenirs shops & religious stores can be found near the entrance of the Garden of Eden. They offer different items like t-shirts, key chains and other religious items.

As I'm about to leave, I've seen this sign and decided on checking the Luklukan ni Maria site. I know that when a statue of Christ is built, there's also a statue for Mary.

I arrived there and found no one, though there are melted candles at the foot of the statue. It's not as popular as the statue of Christ, but one should pay respect to the mother.

I will not get tired coming back here given the chance. And I make sure that when I do, I will be able to attend the healing mass.

How to get to Kamay ni Hesus from Manila:
    o Take a taxi, jeepney or bus going to the designated bus terminals for Jac Liner, Jam Liner or Lucena Lines. I always ride Jac Liner bus because they are new, the seats are comfortable and I feel safe with them. Not to mention there’s a free wi-fi on board.
    Jac Liner

928-6140
    Regular Trips: 2 am to 10 pm
    Midnight Trips: 11 pm & 12 am
    (24 Hours Operation)

Visit their website for more details, www.jacliner.com.
    o At the bus terminal, look for the bus with a signboard Lucena “Lucena City/Grand Central” or “Lucena/Dalahican”. Tell the conductor to drop you at Diversion Road.

o At Diversion Road, take a jeepney going to Lucban, it passes by the Kamay ni Hesus The terminal is located just beside Jollibee. Regular fare is Php30.00 and it takes less than an hour.

How to get to Kamay ni Hesus from Lucena:
    o From Lucena town proper, take a jeepney going to Domoit, then ask the driver to drop you off at the Diversion Road. Regular fare is Php8.00.

o From Diversion Road, ride a jeepney going to Lucban. The terminal is located just beside Jollibee. Regular Fare is Php30.00. Ask the driver to drop you off at the Kamay ni Hesus. It's very popular even with the local so you won't get lost.

How to get to Kamay ni Hesus from Lucban town proper:
    o At the town proper, you can either take a jeepney bound for Lucena or hire a tricycle going to Kamay ni Hesus. To avoid hassle, you can just hire a tricycle for only Php25.00 and it only takes 5 minutes.

Tips:
    Make sure to go to Kamay ni Hesus early in the morning so it won't be hot when you climb the hill.
    Jeepneys waiting at the terminal doesn't leave until it's full so you will wait a lot longer. You can ride a jeppeny that passes by from Lucban, but you have to walk past the shrine because won't stop near the terminal. That's to give respect to the jeepney drivers at the terminal.

Statue of the 50-foot Ascending Christ Statue of Mary at Luklukan ni Maria Noah's Ark Pieta Statue at the Exit 50-foot Statue of the Ascending Christ
    • Adventure Travel

• pres_16's Profile Photo

by pres_16 Written May 25, 2014

We visited the churches of Quezon that belong to the Diocese of Lucena:
    1) St. Michael the Archangel Minor Basilica, Tayabas
    2) Kamay ni Hesus Healing Center, Lucban
    3) Church of St. Francis of Assisi, Sariaya
    4) San Pedro Bautista Church, Candelaria

St. Michael d Archangel Minor Basilica, Tayabas Kamay ni Hesus Healing Center, Lucban Church of St. Francis of Asssisi, Sariaya San Pedro Bautista Church, Candelaria
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel

Quezon Hotels

Quezon Shopping

• maribeldizon's Profile Photo

by maribeldizon Updated Apr 4, 2011

The items are all creation of the Artist, Ugu Bigyan

What to buy: The artist has a collection of Vase, Chimes, candle holders, plates, glasses.... Twice a year he gives interested buyers big discounts. Pre-Christmas, and on his birthday...(sorry i forgot what date in august). We were told he gave a 47% discount last Aug bec he turned... you're right - 47%.... so next year discount is going to be... 48%

Quezon Off The Beaten Path

• maribeldizon's Profile Photo

by maribeldizon Updated Apr 4, 2011

Kinabuhayan Cafe is one of interesting places listed in the Viaje del Sol road trip. Located at Dolores, Quezon. Its a bed and breakfast owned by the eccentric but very entertaining Jay Herrera who welcomes you to his home and serves you with gourmet meals. Other than the cottage we slept in, his accomodations are cogon or nipa-made teppee.

Enjoyed also a dip in Kubli Springs. Its really an experience!

Kinabuhayan Cottage Kinabuhayan Tepee Outdoor dining Kubli Springs Kubli Springs

Instant Answers: Quezon

Comments

Quezon Travel Guide
Map of Quezon