Quezon Travel Guide

Quezon Things to Do

• AusPinay's Profile Photo
    Mighty Mt. Banahaw

by AusPinay Updated May 5, 2009

I can proudly declare I climbed this mountain when I was just a university student at the University of the Philippines as part of our activity/requirement before passing Forestry I. It has proven to be a memorable one for me, young as I was then!

We were tasked to measure the trees near the top of this mountain- tree trunks, leaf spans, etc. Most of all, we interacted with the slash and burn farmers living on the mountains (kaingineros). It was freezing cold especially at night and doubly hard climbing at the time we were there as it was raining too! We had a good time despite some of the usual constraints but the beauty of the place is really inspiring! The farmers were friendly and shared us all their stories, food and drinks- despite my allergy to alcohol! I had a little sip and it tasted just like kerosene to me (smell more like it,LOL!)

I would like to take my boys here in the future when they are older to show them a different part of Philippine culture which is a part of their ancestry and race as well, them being part Filipino.

There are lots of hiking trips here in the past but due to the amount of litter left by many hikers/climbers, the government, in March 2004,thru the Department of Environment and Natural Resources ordered a 5-year suspension of hiking activity in the mountains, covering the Dolores and Sariaya trails. It is scheduled for reopening on 2010. (source:wikipedia)

Other important facts: (also thanks to wikipedia) * Height: 2,158 m asl
    * Crater: breached by 1.5 km x 3.5 km at its southern rim; 210 m deep
    * Major adjacent volcanic edifices:

* Mount San Cristobal (at western slope)
    * Mount Banahaw de Lucban (at northeastern slope)
    * Buho Masalakot Domes (at southwestern slope)
    * Mount Mayabobo

People can still enjoy it from a distance by staying in many resorts/hotels around the mountain in various towns in Quezon.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Mountain Climbing

Instant Answers: Quezon

Comments

Quezon Travel Guide
Map of Quezon