Paranaque Tourist Traps

Best Rated Tourist Traps in Paranaque

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Watch The Vendors' Hands!

by cyndymc Updated Jun 4, 2009

IF YOU PLAN TO SHOP ALONE at the Baclaran flea market, read this:

Some vendors put big price tags on their merchandise, be it t-shirts, socks, flipflops, hankies, underwear, or fruits & vegetables. When you've finally decided to buy and hand in your money to the vendor, you would be told that your payment wasn't enough. If you insisted that you're just paying what's written on their price tags, you'd be shocked to see the price tag had been changed... Yes, the cheating vendor's hands were so fast, he/she changed the price tag while you're busy selecting the merchandise you wanted to buy. And if you insisted again that it was a lower price that you saw, another customer (actually in cahoots with the vendor) pretending to also buy would say she saw the price tag and the vendor was right. If you said you didn't feel like buying anymore, the vendor wouldn't return the money you handed to him earlier, and he/she would insist that you pay the full amount. What's worse, his/her accomplice buyer would convince you that the vendor's price was the right price, and she would go to the extent of paying for her bought merchandise at the vendor's price.

Unique Suggestions: I have not personally experienced this, but my sister-in-law alerted me on this modus operandi. She saw a helpless woman succumb to the pressure of paying a higher price.

If it happened to me, I would raise my voice or scream for help from a policeman or Metro Manila Aide. ( I now appreciate the police visibility efforts of the Philippine National Police in crowded places.) If I needed the items I bought, I would still get them but at the original price that I saw. If its just something I wanted but didn't need, I would ask the policeman to help me get a refund .

Fun Alternatives: Shop at the Baclaran Dry Goods Market, not at the flea market.

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Retail VS. Wholesale Price

by cyndymc Written Jun 4, 2009

The merchants at the Baclaran Dry Goods Market are used to selling wholesale to people who resell the merchandise, but they also sell to retail shoppers . When you go there to buy anything, you would assume the price of the item is the one posted on the price tag, only to find out later that you will be charged a higher price because the price tag is the wholesale price.

Unique Suggestions: Haggle for a lower retail price, and pretend you're buying it as "sample" so when your friends or relatives like it, you will refer them to the merchant. Merchants normally give in to you, and sell the item at a discount. Although the price may not be as low as the wholesale price, at least it would be lower than the normal retail price.

Fun Alternatives: If it is not fun anymore, just leave. It is your right as customer to look for alternatives. I suggest that when you go to another stall, ask the retail price first; don't assume the price tag is the retail price.

Instant Answers: Paranaque

Comments

Paranaque Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Paranaque tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Paranaque sightseeing.