Local traditions and culture in Tagaytay City

With Naty from Aquila Beach Resort
    by Pinoy
  • My Titas who took care of me in Philippines. Muax
    My Titas who took care of me in...
    by moomoos

Most Viewed Local Customs in Tagaytay City

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Go Ahead, Dip Your BBQ In Vinegar W/ Vinegar Eels

by cyndymc Updated Oct 1, 2010

Eating at Mang Inasal reminded me to write about the vinegar eels in naturally fermented vinegar. After I dipped my pork BBQ in vinegar, I knew it was made from coconut sap. In my home province, I used to ask my mother-in-law's maid to make naturally fermented coconut vinegar for my household use. That is why I am used to the sight of vinegar eels. However, to the uninitiated, seeing moving vinegar eels in the bottle can be quite shocking. There is really no reason to worry, as the vinegar eels are not parasitic worms. They are present in the vinegar to eat the bacteria normally present in the naturally fermenting coconut sap. They stay in the vinegar until they run out of bacteria to eat; afterwhich, they die, too... So the next time you see wriggling vinegar eels, that's your indicator that the vinegar was naturally fermented, and not made of acetic acid.

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Road Procession of Religious Icons

by cyndymc Written Jun 27, 2009

Since Tagaytay City is the site of many religious centers and churches, people here are very religious. They still follow certain traditional religious practices like bringing out of their houses the antique religious icons passed down to generations, and they join processions starting from the church to the main road and back to the church.

In our most recent visit to Tagaytay, they were celebrating the Feast of "Ina ng Awa" (Our Lady Of Perpetual Help). We got caught in the heavy traffic during the procession; only one lane was free to motorists.

I wasn't able to take pictures, but I managed to record a short video as the procession passed beside our car.

• Religious Travel

Tagaytay City Hotels

Top Tagaytay City Hotels

Tagaytay Hotels
258 Reviews - 846 Photos

Instant Answers: Tagaytay City

Comments

Tagaytay City Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Tagaytay City local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tagaytay City sightseeing.
Map of Tagaytay City