Fruits & Durian, Singapore

Know about this? Rate It!

have a durian ice cream
    yummy
    have one
  • cokes's Profile Photo

Oh No....;OP

by cokes Written Aug 5, 2006

Favorite thing: Durians is really something I must say. After our VT Meeting I went out with the fellow VT`ers of Singapore to get desert and what do we stop for , Yep Durians. I had Durian cake in KL and that was quiet nice so I was brave enough to try the Durian fruit. Alright I tried it but damm that fruit is nasty ;0P I have to agree with arni_ph705 ad zafilm its surely an aquired tasted...Its either you like or you don`t. Unfortunately for me I think I`ll pass next time I`m given the opportunity to have Durian Fruit.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Durian the King of Fruits

by machomikemd Updated May 16, 2011
    more durian

Favorite thing: the Durian fruit also known here in south east asia as the "King of Fruits" is widespread and Malaysians claim that their durian are the best, better than the durian cultivars of thailand or Indonesia and the Philippines. The is distinctive for its large size, unique odour, and formidable thorn-covered husk. The fruit can grow as large as 30 centimetres (12 in) long and 15 centimetres (6 in) in diameter, and it typically weighs one to three kilograms (2 to 7 lb). Its shape ranges from oblong to round, the colour of its husk green to brown, and its flesh pale yellow to red, depending on the species.The edible flesh emits a distinctive odor, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact and someone said that Durian smells like hell and taste like heaven! they are available markets and supermarkets (the husks are removed in the supermarkets) in Singapore but are packed into microwaveable plastics or styrofoam boxes since the husks also emits a bad small hence the un peeled durian fruit is banned at hotels or malls or even bus stations and airports.

prices ranges from Singapore $ 5 a kilo depending on the variety and add $ 1 for a microwaveable plastic container or $ 2 for a styrofoam container.

Read more: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/db569/13901a/6/#ixzz1MZXTiRMd