Chijmes, Singapore

Bras Basah across from Raffles Hotel

Know about this? Rate It!

Chijme church
    Chijmes Church
    cafe
  • La Baroque, Chijmes: Australian Female punched in face by Pub manager

by Em222 Updated Jan 22, 2012

I was out with 2 friends at Le Baroque, enjoying a Saturday night out, until I was punched in the face by the manager of the place. Before I continue, I am a petite, Australian female, with a professional career and cannot believe what happened to us by the staff at Le Baroque, Chijmes.

We were good patrons, after spending hours and a lot of money on over-priced drinks at Le Baroque. My friends and I decided to take half-a-jug of beer that had been left at the table next to ours – it seemed like a harmless act. We were accused of stealing beer by the waitresses – this same jug of beer had been left unfinished and was going to be disposed of.

As a result, I was man-handled and yelled at by a number of bouncers and the manager, who were all extremely aggressive and violent. I was physically picked up and thrown outside.

I was completely disgraced by the unnecessary offensive behaviour from all of the staff. I exchanged some heated remarks, of which the manager felt justified to then punch me directly in the face. My nose was bleeding and I thought my nose was broken. My friends and I called the police and I spent the rest of the evening and morning at the hospital, where I had x-rays for my nose.

Luckily my nose is not broken, but very swollen and painful. I am now disfigured and have concussion. This is not nonsensical behaviour by any man, especially to a woman and by any 'so-called' manager. I am new to Singapore and I thought I was in a respectable bar in a lovely setting like The Chijmes.

To ALL women, please reconsider going here. I am still in shock and feel completely violated.

• Women's Travel
    • Beer Tasting

• yatingchen's Profile Photo

Chijmes: Romantic and European Atmosphere

by yatingchen Updated Feb 23, 2007

Chijmes Church

The white Gothe church is located on Chijmes square, but close to it are several stylish restaurants, pubs, bars and clubs. One can't deny its beauty neither in day nor at night. I love especially the atmosphere at night when yellow light arms the air. It's romantic and European, belongs to couples...

• Luxury Travel
    • Business Travel

• allikat's Profile Photo

Chijmes: Bars, music and plenty of people!

by allikat Updated Oct 12, 2006

chijmes by night

Chijmes is on the site of a former convent school for girls, and the beautiful gothic-style church is still a main feature of the complex. Quiet during the day, Chijmes comes alive at night with a number of restaurants, bars and live music venues clustered around a sunken courtyard. The trees are strung with sparkling white fairy lights making everywhere look really pretty, and the whole place has a great atmosphere.

It's also worth a visit during the day, to see the beautiful colonial buildings by day, and to browse around the boutique style gift shops.

Dress Code: smart casual.

• Architecture
    • Music

• terps94's Profile Photo

Chijmes: place for debauchery

by terps94 Updated Apr 23, 2005
    Tower inChijmes I swer it's not pink

This place use to be convent for teenage girls but now has been converted for a place to eat , drink and be merry. Talk about desecration but hey it is teh sign of the times , hehe.They have restaurant ranging from sushi to spanish tapas. An Irish pub is also located here along with a couple of pubs that has live music.

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Chijmes: Chijmes

by phil_uk_net Written Mar 9, 2003

Chijmes

Chijmes is a complex full of bars, restaurants and shops where Singapore's upwardly mobile elite like to meet and eat.

Dress Code: Smart casual.

Instant Answers: Singapore