Tree Top Walk - MacRitchie, Singapore

Know about this? Rate It!

• Up on the tree top on the suspension bridge
    Up on the tree top on the suspension...
    The touch-me-not plant
    by beetlebummer
    At the end of the tree top walk
  • icyjo24's Profile Photo

Treetop Walk

by icyjo24 Updated Apr 4, 2011

VT Meet@ Treetop Walk

The HSBC TreeTop Walk is the main highlight of a long hiking route from MacRitchie. It brings you through different stages of mature secondary forest. The treetop walk is the first of its kind in Singapore and in the region, this free-standing suspension bridgeoffers a bird’s eye view of the community of plants and animals that live in the forest canopy. The total length of the walkway is about 250m.

To get to the treetop walk, you need to walk 4.5km from MacRitchie Reservoir or 2.5km from Venus Drive near Singapore Island Country Club.

It is closed on Mondays except if they are public holidays.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo

Run through the jungle...

by robertgaz Updated Apr 4, 2011

Singapore's last rainforest

The jungle walking trails around the MacRitchie Reservoir are an unexpected yet delightful part of an otherwise highly urbanised Singapore.

The highlight of the walk is the 250 metre Tree Top Walk taking you at canopy level through the rainforest.

The distance to the entrance of the TreeTop Walk is approximately 4.5 km from the reservoir park entrance.

I strongly recommend engaging local VT'ers to help you out as the entrance isn't that easy to find. The walking is not difficult but the high humidity can be very challenging.

It is well worth while doing this "off the beaten path walk in Singapore".

• trees100ft's Profile Photo

Tree Top Walk - Central Catchment Nature Reserve

by trees100ft Updated Apr 4, 2011
    View of Upper Peirce Reservoir from TTW

A brand-new eco-tourism highlight has just been open in Singapore! The Tree Top Walk located deep within the Central Catchment Nature Reserve. It was open to the public on 5-Nov-2004, and I visited it on 6-Nov-04. Waited so long for this!

What it is:
    It is a suspension bridge (250m) featuring a narrow canopy walk. You will come up close with the canopy of the trees. It is a very special feeling. It is also a wonderful place to do bird-watching.

How to get there:
    There are 2 entry points right now, both requiring a long walk in. One is from MacRitchie Reservoir, starting from the Prunus Trail near the Little Sisters of the Poor. It is a 4.5 km walk in. For brisk walkers, that is roughly 1 hr 15 min. For leisurely walkers, you will need at least 2 hrs (mind you, 1 way).

In total, including the TTW and the Petaling Trail on the return path, the MacRitchie route is 11 km long.

The second entry point is from Rifle Range Road. It is also a long walk for that route.

I've done this walk twice now, and absolutely no regrets. It is now my favourite trail in Singapore. Yes, there are lots of nature walking trails in Singapore! Surprising but true!

Happy walking to all!

• Birdwatching

• trees100ft's Profile Photo

Tree Top Walk - canopy view

by trees100ft Updated Apr 4, 2011
    The Terantang tree and its canopy.

I am uploading a good picture of a tree canopy viewed from the TTW.

The TTW is definitely one of the more unexpected destinations in such an urban place like Singapore. In fact only a handful of locals know about it. For many of them, the 11 km hike is a big deterrent. But for nature-lovers in Singapore, the TTW is a wonderful treat.

International visitors can take note that the access to this trail is only a short drive from Orchard Road. A taxi ride from Orchard Road to MacRitchie is about 15-20 min in good traffic conditions.

Check the NParks website for more information about parks in Singapore. www.nparks.gov.sg

• Birdwatching

• beetlebummer's Profile Photo

MacRitchie Tree Top Walk

by beetlebummer Updated Feb 20, 2007

Up on the tree top on the suspension bridge

The Chinese New Year holidays this year is a pretty long one, a total of 4 and a half days off, so my friends and I decided to take a nature trail at MacRitchie. Well I must say that, to date, this is the healthiest thing I've done, for a long, long time. heh!

We started the trail at about 10.30am. I was pretty excited and was expecting to see some snakes or some wild animals...like some tigers (yeah right!). I must say this walk is more for the fauna lovers (that or I'm not observant enough to spot those reptiles...heh!) though if you are lucky, you'll be abe to spot some monkeys.

Spotted some streams and some interesting plants on the way. I spotted some touch-me-not plants. They are nothing special as they are actually weeds (which is almost not possible to see anywhere around anymore). But they caught my eyes as they reminded me of my childhood days where I would look out for these plants to play with. You see, these touch-me-nots will have its leaves closed when touched. The leaves will then reopened the next day. It always amazes me...

It was a good 45mins trail before reaching the rangers range that in turn leads to the suspension bridge where the tree top walk is. The bridge only allows walking in a single file and is a one way walk only. On this bridge you can take a bird's eye view of the MacRitchie reservoir. Well, I didn't as I was too busy trying not to look down and to steady my wobbly legs.... waaaahhhh!! The walk from one end of the bridge to the other takes about 10mins. Then it's back to another 45 mins walk back towards the exit.

And after that tiring long walk, we all did what we Singaporeans do best, EAT!! heh! Adam Road is just around the corner for some good cheap local food.

Instant Answers: Singapore