Wet Markets, Singapore

Know about this? Rate It!

• Praying Mantis Prawn (Direct Mandarin Translation)
    Praying Mantis Prawn (Direct Mandarin...
    by Applelyn
    wet market
    by sakullak
    Chinatown Wet Market
    by knerten
  • Applelyn's Profile Photo

See the fishes jump beside your feet!

by Applelyn Updated May 1, 2006

Praying Mantis Prawn (Direct Mandarin Translation)

Want some fishes!! Visit Jurong fishing port. Take the AYE and exit at Jurong Port Road. Go straight till you reach Jurong Fishing Port Road. Turn left at the first junction. You have to have a document such as passport, to enter. You can only take a taxi or drive there. The best time to go is 3am in the morning and they are closed on Monday Morning. This place is where all the wholesalers gathered to display their goods. You have to buy at least 2kg before they are willing to sell to you.

• jeffyeowt's Profile Photo

Watch how locals do their marketing

by jeffyeowt Written Aug 6, 2005

Wonder where do the locals get their amazing ingredients to cook the quintessential Singapore meal? Why, Tekka market of course!
    Tekka market, at the corner of Little India, near the Little India MRT station, is the best wet market in Singapore. You can get all types of fresh foods, herbs, and spices at this fairly large market. Gawk at the huge selection of seafood sold by the local fishmongers. It's best to get to Tekka early in the morning; after that, you can head out to the attractions around Little India easily.

• sakullak's Profile Photo

We didn't really know where ...

by sakullak Written Jan 6, 2005
    wet market

It's rain in that morning, so we jumped into taxi and asked him to take us to local market for breakfast.

He took us to this place and showed us Kuan Im temple. After we had breakfast, we tried to find the way out and found Bugis MRT.

• knerten's Profile Photo

Try visiting a wet market in the morning!

by knerten Updated Jul 19, 2004

Chinatown Wet Market

The term wet market alludes to poor lighting, poor air circulation, floors that are always wet and slippery. Add the smell of fresh fish, herbs, freshcut poultry, and vegetables and what else not. The wet market is a powerful place to be!

I went to the Chinese wet market in the Chinatown Complex, more by chance than by purpose. As a Westerner, I felt strange, being the only white person around as far as I could see. The crammed stalls and narrow walkways, the people yelling and talking in a (to me) indecipherable language, strange fruits and vegetables, never before seen sea creatures, scallops, mussels, squid, cuttlefish, fish heads, the smell, the slippery floor (great if you're barefooted in sandals...).
    Hardly anyone spoke English here, and there was absolutely no English signage anywhere, so I had to point with my hands and fingers and use my body language to get what I wanted. When it came to telling me the price, they typed in the numbers on their calculator and showed me the price.
    No way of knowing whether it was correct or not, but it seemed cheap anyway.

All in all, I enjoyed it. It was overwhelming, numbing, yet exciting, and so alive!

Instant Answers: Singapore