Banana Leaf Apolo, Singapore

by Penelope4
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apollo: Fish Curry in Little India

by lynnehamman Updated Nov 29, 2011

We had an excellent lunch at Banana Leaf Apollo in Little India.
    The Fish Curry was spiced to perfection, and the fish was filleted. Condiments provided were coconut shreds, sliced banana, chutneys of three kinds.
    Our young Indian waiter was most helpful, explaining various items of the menu in excellent English. He recommended the Fish Curry.
    There is a large selection of freshly squeezed fruit juices available, and my husband enjoyed an ice cold Kingfisher beer.
    The restuarant is air-conditioned- a welcome.
    For dessert, we had Kulfi. Now I consider myself to be a bit of an expert on Kulfi (which is a kind of traditional Indian ice-cream- only richer and creamier than usual ice-cream), and I have eaten Kulfi in many cities in India. However, the pistachio flavoured Kulfi we had at Banana Leaf Apollo has to rate as one of the best I have tasted to date. It was mouth-watering good.
    The crockery and cutlery was spotless, and service pleasant and efficient.

Favorite Dish: The Kulfi (as described)

• Photography

• savitha's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apolo: Fish Head Curry & Chicken Masala!

by savitha Written Sep 26, 2004

Never miss eating the Fish Head Curry & Chicken Masala.... Cooked with herbs & spices that will leave all your taste buds asking for more!!

Clean and friendly staff...

VISA/Mastercard accepted.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Masala-Spicey, Spicey, Spicey! : )

Try Indian desserts such as Kulfi (Indian Ice Cream) and also my personal favourite, Gulab Jamun... : ) Tantalizingly Sweet~

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apolo: Banana Leaf Apolo

by phil_uk_net Written Oct 5, 2003

Banana Leaf Apolo

I chose a bad night to go out without a camera as eating at this place would have made a good photo.

The Banana Leaf restaurants are well known in Singapore. There is at least one other - the Banana Leaf Venus and there may be more ... I don't know.

The name of the restaurant comes from the fact that your food is served on banana leaves rather than plates. The waiter unrolls a huge leaf in front of you on the table and proceeds later to lay out the food on it.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant is famous for its Fish Head Curry. I must admit that I wasn't keen on the idea but I was willing to try. It wasn't like I'd imagined - a lot better in fact. The head is a good size and has quite a lot of meat in it. If you are really into this type of curry you will appreciate the cheeks and the eyes but I just picked out lumps of white meat. The sauce is fairly spicy - not painfully hot but hot enough to give the sinuses a good clear out. Although I didn't get a picture myself, there is a picture of this dish on the attached web site link.

• Skylink's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apolo: Dishwashers Union hate this restaurant! (joking)

by Skylink Updated Nov 2, 2005

They don't use plates. They serve the meal on a big green banana leaf. The waiter brings a pot of rice and other things and scoops it on to the leaf.

Several people recommend this restaurant. If you like Indian food, I tend to agree.

Favorite Dish: The chicken curry is not spicy at all. The chicken masala is only moderately spicy (or very spicy to some).

They charge 20 cents for a napkin! They do not charge for a fork or for the banana leaf. They also don't charge you to breathe the air.

Some report a higher price than others on VT. Our bill for 3 people was $45 (Singapore dollars). However, it was initially higher because they charged us for food that we did not order and that they did not serve. They did correct the bill.

• Penelope4's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apolo: food served on a banana leaf

by Penelope4 Written Jan 25, 2008

There are partitions in the restaurant to give privacy to groups. Of course there are also tables for walk-in single customers like me. Although I was kind of early for lunch (I had to go to the airport at 12.30), the waiters were kind enough to attend to me. One of them was kind enough to provide me something to neutralize the spices. You see, like some people, I can not enjoy spicy foods much and the waiters there are very attentive. I did enjoy my visit to this unique resto.

• Leodapoz's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apolo: Gotta try the Fish Head Curry

by Leodapoz Updated May 3, 2007

Excellent South Indian restaurant. Menu is very extensive and everything was exceptional, very good selection and every dish was without fault. Meals are served on large banana leaves but silverware is provided. Fish head curry is an experience you must try at least once. Restaurant is a favorite for tourists - saw several tours arrive as we ate dinner but we were not rushed. If in Singapore - gotta try it.

Favorite Dish: Mutton curry, spinach and cheese, fried fish, chicken marsala. The fish was red snapper, fresh and very tasty. Be wary of the spicy hot cabbage appetizer and chicken marsala, must have a cold pitcher of tiger beer ready. Naam bread with garlic is very nice and baked fresh. Portions are good and price vey affordable.

• gueto's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apolo: HHhmmmmmmm

by gueto Written Jun 28, 2007

Curry fish head

Already remembering this food makes me hungry.

The funny thing is that food is served on a banana leaf, hence the name. Banana Leaf is a "must" if you are around Little India. I loved all the dishes I tried there but my favourite is chicken tandoori and lamb with curry. Try out as many dishes as you can since you can share them with people. The funny thing is that food is served on a banana leaf

There´s a famous dish called "Fish head Curry" and yes, it´s a fish head. I tried and personally didnt like it but nonetheless I reccomend it as an experience if you like fish.

Favorite Dish: chicken tandoori and lamb with curry

• trisanna's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apolo: You gotta try the curry

by trisanna Written Apr 11, 2005

This restaurant specializes in Indian and Muslim curries. Food is served on a real banana leaf. They come around and dump rice, and vegetables on the leaf. You can order various meat curries, tandoori prawns or chicken. There is also a menu-which has many north indian dishes-such as daal, palak paneer and naan.

Just don't forget to eat with your right hand.

• stephany8's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apolo: Close your eyes and try the Fish Head Curry

by stephany8 Written Aug 2, 2006

This is the place for Indian food, The banana leaves and the ambiance is so Singapore Indian. I just wish I could go there tonight and enjoy some great curry. The first time I went I had doubts about the fish head curry but it became my favorite dish after I took a blind folded taste. Since I lived in Singapore for over a year, I was a frequent diner.

Favorite Dish: Fish Head Curry is a dish that is not to be missed. The subtle blendings of spices and the quality of the fish is a feast that one needs to experience. You will go back for more,

• sakullak's Profile Photo

Banana Leaf Apolo: Don't wanna use spoon or fork

by sakullak Written Jan 6, 2005

my big plate

I love Indian foods, using my clean hand made it more yummy!

Local girl (next to my table) told me to fold banana leaf toward myself to show that I liked their foods. First I didn't know and fold out :P

Favorite Dish: Naan is really good and soft. Fish head curry is pretty spicy. I like fried lamp.

Instant Answers: Singapore

Comments

Hotels Near Banana Leaf Apolo
3.5 out of 5 stars