Imperial Herbal Restaurant, Singapore

3rd Floor Metropole Hotel, 41 Seah Street, S'Pore +65 6337 0491 or +65 6331 5112

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Imperial Herbal Restaurant: Imperial Herbal Restaurant

by phil_uk_net Updated Dec 30, 2003

This is certainly one of the most interesting restaurants I've ever eaten at but unfortunately the food wasn't exactly to my liking. Apparently this is only one of two restaurants like it in Singapore. Inside the restaurant is a pharmacy with Chinese medicines and herbs and also a doctor of Chinese medicine. If you desire, he will diagnose any ailments you may have and recommend herbs to remedy the complaint.

Each dish on the menu contains a herb or animal extract that purports to benefit the body in some way. Great emphasis is placed on the benefits of consuming *** (no, not like that). On the menu is deer *** wine which is supposed to be an aphrodisiac but I doubt it very much. This particular wine is extremely expensive and, for the record, foul-tasting. It may be described as wine but it is like no wine I have ever tasted and I could not drink mine.

Continuing the *** theme, the waiters delight in bringing huge, dried penises from various animals to your table. I can still claim though that I never tasted one and intend keeping it that way un til the end of my days.

I was taken to this restaurant by a local who wanted to impress the group. I'm sure that to a Chinese the range of dishes on offer would be a real treat (it's not a cheap place) but to my western palatte the food just didn't agree with me and I left feeling quite hungry. Despite the claims of the restaurant I did not feel better in any way either as a result of eating their food. If you are very adventurous with your food or just looking for somewhere that's a bit different (and this certainly is) you might enjoy the Imperial Herbal Restaurant.

Opening Hours:
    11:30am - 2:30pm
    6:30pm - 10:30pm

Instant Answers: Singapore

Comments

Hotels Near Imperial Herbal Restaurant
4.0 out of 5 stars