The Line at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore

by imstress
  • The Line at Shangri-La Hotel
    by imstress
  • DarkRay's Profile Photo

The Line @ Shangri-La: The Supposingly Mother of All Buffets....

by DarkRay Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Line @ Shangri-La

Diners who had been to Shangri-La Hotel's The Line Restaurant have often describe the dinner buffet spread as the mother of all buffets in Singapore, and to some respect that is very true. It features a huge variety of quality food that are prepared on the spot and this range from hot-from-the-tandor tandoori chicken, to char-grilled prawns, to steaming hot dim sum. Of course, it also features an unlimited serving of chilled lobster which by itself is enough to justify the dinner buffet price of S$68++.

Some people like the new age decor, while some people do not. I belong to the latter category and absolutely hated the plastic decor. It is far too casual, too foodcourt like, and too cheap looking to be avant-garde. And while some tables had too much lighting, others (like the one I was allocated in my most recent outing there) were way too dim. The outdoor dining area (if you need to puff) had absolutely no ambience to speak of. For me, a good dining experience has to be a multi-sensory one, especially for one that charges anything more than S$50 per diner and unfortunately, this is one area where The Line fails to meet the mark.

Service is quite attentive, but I find that it is nowhere as good as the services I received at Raffles Hotel's Bar & Billiard Room (my favourite buffet restaurant), Oriental Hotel's Melt: The World Cafe, or even Meritus Mandarin Hotel's Triple 3.

Hmm... Somehow, the writeup sounds kind of negative, but it is really not like that. The price for the dinner buffet is S$68++, the additionals being the 10% service charge, followed by the 7% GST. The money spent is however totally worth it because of the amazing array of food items available.

Favorite Dish: Most of the dishes are really good and I especially like the fact that the chocolate that was used for the Chocolate Fountain is unsweetened. I am very picky about my chocolates and although the melted chocolate was a little thin (it would be better balanced with more cocoa butter), the quality of the cocoa used was rather good. The slight bitterness of the chocolate provided a wonderful contrast to the sourness of the strawberries and the sweetness of the cookies available for dipping.

Something to take note is that it seems that each time I revisited the restaurant, the food's standards dip a bit. On my latest visit, the seafood was not as fresh as I had them during the first 2 times. I had a hard time separating the seafood's fresh from its shell (which is always a good indicator of staleness) and this applied to the prawns, lobsters and scallops. I am hoping that these were isolated events..

Still, the seafood was good enough to keep me revisiting the Seafood Station to refill my plate. I also loved every single item from the Tandoori Station. The cook was genuinely nice and each time I went back, he would offer to get me a fresh serving straight from the tandoor. Now, that is what I call "great service".

Also, avoid the shark's fin soup, available at the Dim Sum counter. There was no shark's fin in it and it tasted like liquefied char siew pau - very weird and not nice at all.

There was also quite a selection at the Dessert Station, but nothing really outstanding except the sheer variety. Usually however, most people will already be too full to stuff them in. ;-)

Oh yeah, the buffet comes with a complimentary coffee and tea service at the end of it.

• imstress's Profile Photo

The Line @ Shangri-La: The Line @ Shangri-La

by imstress Updated Apr 4, 2011

the modern deco

The Line at Shangri-la Hotel offers a wide varieties on their buffet spread.
    Seafood, Cold dish, Japanese, Salad, Pasta, desserts, Chinese, Indian, BBQ, Dim Sum, Tepanyakki, Chocolate fondue, fruits, ice cream are some of the stations available.

I like the pasta which was cook on the spot. The chocolate fondue is delicious with lots of fresh strawberries. Love the mango sherbet esp when I went over to the crepe counter to top up with th real mangoes. The handroll are freshly made and the salmon sashimi is nicely sliced. Roti pratas are prepare on the spot and satays too with their home made curry sauce and dips.

Lunch was at $43+++. A bit steep tho.

I like the modern deco with the new age feel.

Pamaper yourself with a good meal and especially if you are on company travel or if you could charge it to entertainment;p

Favorite Dish: desserts

• jamie_uk's Profile Photo

The Line: Awesome Choice

by jamie_uk Written Mar 5, 2008
    The Line restaurant terrace

As we were staying at the Shangri-La, we had to try The Line buffet restaurant once, and we were not disappointed !
    This place has the most amazing, extensive buffet I have ever seen. There are 16 separate 'areas' covering all sorts of cuisine - Seafood, Chinese, Japanese, European, Pastries, Indian, Fruit, Ice Cream and Candy, Dim Sum, Local etc. etc. The quality is amazing, and the setting is super modern, but it can get a bit noisy when busy. I think they should also include drinks in the price (even if they put the price up a bit) as the a-la-carte drinks were very expensive. Apparently they do a Sunday brunch which includes champagne - check it out and be prepared to sleep it off on Sunday afternoon !

Favorite Dish: Seafood selection

• imstress's Profile Photo

The Line Pastry Shop: The Line Pastry Shop

by imstress Written Mar 23, 2006

The Line Pastry Shop sells lots of fresly baked items fresh from the overn.

The products ranges from muffins (apple bran, blueberry, chocolate cheese, cranberry), cakes, chocolate, tea, wedding cakes, cartoon characters cakes.

The Pastry shop is located at B1. Turn right and you will fine a small dining area for the pastry shop.

Favorite Dish: muffins ($1.50 each)

Instant Answers: Singapore