Tong Shui, Singapore

• imstress's Profile Photo

Tong Shui: Tong Shui

by imstress Updated Oct 17, 2007

Tong Shui

Tong Shui is loacted at Zion Road. It is the Cantonese term for desserts and in Hong Kong they are called Cha Chan Teng.

Some of the dishes on the menu are instant noodles with scallops, Coca Cola with Ginger, Eight Treasure Tea, Mango with Chee Cheong Fun!

VT Meet at Tong Shui on 24 Mar 2006

Crazyindy, bpacker, imstress, arni_ph075, icyjo24, happyhormones, ZENDER, da rong, supernova1, TheNayangChinaman, arklandtravel

As no reservations were allowed, I head over to Tong Shui as early as I can at about 5.35pm. I was glad that Glen came around 6.15pm to my rescue. The next soul we saw arrived about 6.45 pm.

• DarkRay's Profile Photo

Tong Shui Cafe @ Liang Seah Street: When You Are Hungry After 10pm Part II.....

by DarkRay Updated Mar 31, 2007

Tong Shui Cafe @ Liang Seah Street

Central in Holland Village was possible the first of a new breed of Hong Kong Cafes in Singapore. They had since moved to Basement 2 of Takashimaya Department Store in Ngee Ann City and other cafes like Xin Wang Hong Kong Cafe have sprouted up as well. Tong Shui Cafe started with their outlets at Zion Road (near Zouk) and West Coast first, with this Liang Seah Street outlet being their latest one.

First thing first, as I need to get this out of my system - their clashing bright green and hot pink decor is really headache inducing! So much so that I think it is actually a good idea to wear your sunglasses while dining here.

But luckily, the bad decor is the only thing that disappoints. Both the food and service are definitely good enough for me to overlook the horrid interior color scheme and keep me going back.

Another thing that will probably shock the casual diner is the leather bound menu containing a supposingly 388 items! To be fair, many items are actually variations of each other, but still, 300+ (they skip a few indexes here and there) items in a menu that really resembles the instruction manual for my home theatre system more than a regular food menu makes for an intimidating ordering session. Everything in the menu ends with a .88 as "88" means "to prosper" in Cantonese. Do note that all prices are subjected to a 10% service charge followed by GST.

Like Xin Wang, I love Tong Shui's long opening hours. They operate from 12noon to 6am daily, and even telecast live soccer matches for those looking for a different kind of place to catch their soccer outside instead of in a pub. Because my working hours are generally topsy turvy, I love the fact that there is always a nice comfortable place in a central location I can go to for good meal, after most other restaurants in Singapore has closed.

Favorite Dish: They are totally unhealthy items, but I love canned luncheon meat and instant noodles. To me, they are a sort of comfort food, that brings to me an air of familiarity. So, it is no surprise that my favourite items were the Nissin Noodles with Sunset Egg and Luncheon Meat (item 222: S$3.88++) and Fried Rice with Luncheon Meat and Seaweed Crystals (item 320: S$6.88++). The fried rice was kind of interesting in that the chef actually used Q-balls, a sort of colored balls made from starch, more commonly used in desserts preparations than in savoury dishes.

Their snacks such as the TSC Original Chix Winglets (item 170: S$3.88++) and Crispy Mango Prawn Roll (item 183: S$2.88++) are also something I frequently order. Strangely, despite this being a Hong Kong Cafe, Har Gow (Shrimp Dumplings) are nowhere to be found on the menu. Another item I like is the Toast with Peanut Butter and Condense Milk (item 154: S$2.88++). Incidentally, all the items I have listed so far are also the chef's recomendation.

Drinks are quite reasonably priced at about S$5, but special mention should be made for the Hot Eight Treasures Tea (item 4: S$3.88++), which came in a really large pincher that is really enough for 2.

As with any Hong Kong Cafe worth their salt, dessert is another mind boggling affair. Generally, anything with Mango and Pomelo works for me. I usually alternate between the Chin Chow with Mango and Pomelo (item 102: S$3.88++) and Mango Pomelo Snowy Mountain (item 110: S$5.88++). But unless you really like your lime, ask them to hold that under "special request" or the dessert will end up being a mess of lime flavoured sour ice.

Instant Answers: Singapore