Sim Lim Square, Singapore

1 Rochor Canal Road, Singapore 188504

Know about this? Rate It!

• Sim Lim Square
    by iori_
  • From details to big shops - all electronic
    From details to big shops - all...
    by vinc_bilb
  • Sim Lim Square
    by kenningst
  • vinc_bilb's Profile Photo

Sim Lim square: Electronic, mobiles, computers: the best

by vinc_bilb Updated Jul 28, 2008

From details to big shops - all electronic

A big malls, with the cheaper price and very interesting (-20 -40% compared to Europe).
    Negotiation and barging are welcome, as there are few price indications.

From computers (1-2 floors) to electronic components, including Mobile phones, camera's,...

Nice to know: ask for a VAT receipt, you'll be refund at the custom when leaving Singapore, so, it's better than duty-free in the airport

(See photo): I was suprized to discover some of components manufactured by my compagny here

What to buy: Electronic - all from cables to computers

What to pay: -20 -40% compared to Europe

• Pixels n Pixels Pte Ltd: Don't be conned!

by tourist2008 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I read VT shopping before coming to Sim Lim Square, when I should have been reading "Tourist Trap".

I wanted to buy a mobile phone from a reputable shop outside Sim Lim Square, but it was out of stock. So by the time I was walking around in Sim Lim, I already knew what to buy and how much I was willing to spend for it. So this guy quoted a good price lower than my other contact. It turned out it was without the GST!

Anyways, my old phone had been stolen, so needed a replacement. I asked if it was a demo phone, since it was the only unit there. He said it's new. (I later saw photos in the phone taken from inside the shop - showing it was a demo unit). To cut the story short, he not only overcharged on the 2GB memory card I purchased (which my Singaporean friend said I could have gotten a 4GB card), but he conned me. One month later, the phone dies.

Nokia Malaysia won't repair it because it was bought in Singapore. I call the guy up, and he offered to take it to Nokia Singapore, but when he started calling Nokia Malaysia technicians "morons", I decided to bypass him and go straight to Nokia Singapore.

Guess what? Nokia Singapore checked the phone out and said it's not under warranty, implying that I've been conned! For the cost to repair the phone, I might as well buy a new original phone with warranty in Malaysia. So beware! Don't buy from Pixels N Pixels Pte Ltd. It's not worth the savings. It turned out to be a loss. Robbed twice within 2 months! (old phone got stolen, now this!!!)

I sent a complaint to Sim Lim Square to warn them of the retailer but what can they do? I wouldn't be surprised if some other tourist gets ripped off/conned!

And if you don't live in Singapore, buy your Nokia from your home country because Nokia doesn't have international warranty. If it breaks down, whether it's a real phone or not, you have to send it back to Singapore for repairs.

What to buy: Don't buy anything unless you want to be conned BIG time!

What to pay: Save your money and shop elsewhere, far, far away from Sim Lim Square.

• prisyap's Profile Photo

Sim Lim Square: Purchase PSP

by prisyap Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dear All,

Be careful. This is a posting from another forum and I'm posting here to warn the ppl here.

I went to Sim Lim Square on Sunday, 17/06/07 with the intention to purchase a PSP. After scouting for sometimes, my friend and I came to this shop known as Mobile House Electronics Pte Ltd to check on the pricing of the PSP. After much haggling, the sale person offered a standard PSP pack with a 4GB memory stick to us at the price of $420 inclusive of GST, which we eventually bought it.

To our dismay, we realized that there was a missing battery from the pack when we reached home. Hence, I went down to the shop on the following day afternoon, 18/06/07 , Monday to ask for my missing item. However, when I ask the sale person for my battery, he told me angrily that the standard pack does not come with a battery and only the value pack does.

Then after I requested to upgrade to the value pack by topping on money where later he say that it was out of stock and further said we are not allowed to change and insisted on me in purchasing the battery instead. Leaving me with no choice, I have to just buy the battery in order for my PSP to work. He first quoted me a price of $75 for the normal battery but further persuaded me to buy a higher capacity battery with longer battery life and comes with a warranty which we agreed at the price of $105 with GST. In total, I paid $525 for my PSP.

I went back to the shop to look for the sale person. His colleague, a medium built Chinese man in his mid thirties, claimed that he was not around. I recited the incident to him, asked him politely for his help. Instead of being helpful or even clarify the matter further, he pointed his finger at me and said that it was my fault that we assume and did not ask properly before purchasing. He started to raise his voice and smirk at me, asking me to go ahead and call the police or report it to CASE if I want to, saying that he is not afraid. I am seriously feel threaten and been bullied by the 2 sale persons.

What to buy: One day if they are black listed, they can simply change the shop name. Most importantly, the sales person will get pay 40% of the gross margin. The more they cheat you , the more they earn. It's advisable to go to big megastores like Audio House, Best Denki, Court & etc. I know Audio House are case-trust certified and provide 7 days money back guarantee if you are not happy with their price, product or service with no question ask. Star retailers are selected by SLS management and Case-trust certified stores are audited by the authority on their operating systems and services. As comparsion, case-trust is more trustworthy.

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• Pappilon Sim Lim Square: good price and service shop in Sim Lim Square

by chinachina Updated Apr 4, 2011

this one of the few shop in Sim Lim that have the good price and the good service. They are all so friendly and the things i buy never give me any problem. I recomend this shop Papilion at #02-12 for this especially if you need the electronic and audio product especially the MP4 and the portable dvd players with the lcd tv screen.

• Sim Lim Square: Important Note about Sim Lim Square

by mynameisjizeng Updated Apr 4, 2011

As mentioned in other tips, Sim Lim Square provides a unique electronics shopping experience. In its 5 stories, buyers can expect to find everything from large network systems, right down to interesting electronic gadgetry.

Prices are great too - most items can be found with a reduction of about a 10-30% as compared to normal retail prices.

However, it is worth noting that a few shops in Sim Lim Square sells imitation or modified goods. Some also tend to increase the prices and deceive the buyer into over-paying for a product.

In my experience, a camera shop, FOTO POINT (#01-47), which is located in a corner of level 1 in the shopping centre, sells modified/imitated products. Though incredibly cheap (and suspective), several of their items are not original, even if the storeowner says so. I would like to warn all buyers, especially foreigners, of such occurrences in the shopping centre that tarnish its name.

I tried buying a canon camera at the shop last week, and was impressed at its prices. However, after a long talk, the store owner began critisizing canon and attempted to push for his own product, which was more expensive. I later found out that the lenses in the canon display set had been modified to produce significantly poorer images to make the house brand seem better.

Another shop, PIXELS N SHUTTERS, sells products at ridiculously high prices, claiming its products to be exclusive.

Though the impact of these shops create a bad reputation for the Sim Lim Square shopping experience, I would like to let readers know that such occurences are rare, and there are only a small handfull of them. But please, do be wary and aware of such places.

I wish all shoppers a pleasant shopping experience.

Regards,
    A Sim Lim Regular

• Business Travel

• Hi-Vee ,Sim Lim Square: Grunts and gruffness

by jensl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Steer clear of Hi-Vee Trading on the ground floor of Sim Lim Square. The salesmen are pushy and expect you to buy a wide angle lense with every purchase.Service is bad as I am trying to get a replacement warranty card for the Panasonic FZ-30 camera I bought, which died just one month after purchase. If you have to go there and buy something check everything before you leave as I had an SD card go missing after buying my camera.
    The computer shops in the higher levels are staffed by people who do not know anything about what they are selling or just don't understand. My advice is shop at home! Sure it might cost 10-25% more but at least you will have peace of mind if something goes wrong.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Sim Lim Square: IT products at Sim Lim Square

by aukahkay Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sim Lim Square is a shopping complex dedicated to electronic gadgets and computer products. The 3rd, 4th and 5th story of Sim Lim Complex are dedicated exclusively to shops selling DIY computers, computer peripherals and accessories. If you are a techie and a computer buff, you will find that Sim Lim Square is a haven for buying computer accessories and peripherals - DVD writers, hard disks, thumb drives, RAM chips, webcams etc. As you go up the escalators, there will be people trying to shove catalogues and price lists into your hands. Just grab them and compare the prices offered by various shops before you commit to a purchase.

What to buy: Computer parts and peripherals

What to pay: The price is reasonable and displayed prominently on the price list in front of the shop.

• Business Travel

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Sim Lim Square: Sim Lim Square - electronics goods and computers

by phil_uk_net Updated Apr 4, 2011

The inside of Sim Lim Square shopping complex

Sim Lim Square is another huge shopping complex in Singapore that deals in electronics goods. This one however has more computer equipment than the others that seem to focus on camera equipment.
    There are 6 floors of shops selling all types of equipment from brand new state-of-the-art desktops to old 166Mhz used laptops.
    Prices of course are negotiable and haggling is expected.

What to buy: Computers and peripheral equipment.

What to pay: Check prices and exchange rates carefully and haggle to ensure you are being given the best price. Just because it is Singapore doesn't mean you will be getting the best price. Indeed, if you are coming from the US then prices will probably be quite a lot more than you pay at home.
    Ensure that an international warranty is included in case of problems and make sure that the piece of equipment will function correctly in your home country.

• Games Industries Ground Floor Sim Lim Square: Money misappropriated by shop at Sim Lim Square

by Technokc Updated Apr 4, 2011

02/10/2010
    Had to call the Police today to get back money taken from my son by staff from this shop, they initially stated the price of a game at $40.00 then insisted he show them he had the money and had him place it on the counter. they then distracted him and told him the price was $80.00 he picked up his money, outside he realised it was not all there and $10.00 had been taken by shop staff. they refused to give back the money until police were called. Do not buy from Games Industries on the Ground Floor they are not honost or trustworthy. I can supply the name of the investigating Police Officer and report number if requested. Police were fantastic very fast response time of 10 minutes and very professional in their handling of the situation. If you think you have been ripped off don't hesitate to call them on 999.

• IggyBah's Profile Photo

Sim Lim Square: Geek Heaven

by IggyBah Updated Apr 4, 2011

If shopping for a camera, go to The Mustafa Centre in Little India and note their prices - they won't haggle, but prices are pretty cheap. Use the Mustafa price for the camera you want to buy as your base to haggle down at Slim Lim Square (found Funan IT Plaza dearer). Start on Ground Floor and work your way upwards, we got the best price at Song Brothers with extra battery and SD cards.

What to buy: Camera's. Cosmetics are only a few dollars dearer than the duty free price at Singapore Airport.

• Greatfun45au's Profile Photo

Sim Lim Square: Electronic's galore

by Greatfun45au Updated Apr 4, 2011

I have never seen a centre that was all electronic. All 10 levels were every thing a camera, computer perosn could ever want to buy. Prices were reasonable but make sure you get what you paid for.

What to buy: Laptops, Camera's and PC games

What to pay: From $10 to $2,000.00 depending on what your looking for

• Sim Lim Square: Where NOT to buy a camera!

by tourist1982 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Warning to all travellers!
    When buying cameras in Singapore DO NOT go to this shop.

THE CAMERA SHOP
    # 01-43A SIM LIM SQUARE SHOPPING COMPLEX

I was railroaded into buying a camera, overcharged and then when I went back to complain, the member of staff (Dencil) shouted at me, generally spoke to me very rudely and even descended into making racist remarks! Highly unacceptable manner of conducting business. I lodged a complaint and through my persistence I finally managed to get a free battery and memory card but I would have rather have got my money back.

Note for all buyers, always make sure you know what you want 1st and what the rrp is and never let anyone force you into buying. Easier said than done!

• Luxury Travel

• Sim Lim Square: Stay Clear of Generation on Ground Floor

by worphco Updated Apr 4, 2011

I recently bought a camera from this shop. The salesman was really nice and funny when doing the sales. He showed me wat liked, and i bought a camera. But unfortunately when i got home and opened the pack it was totally a different model what i chose. I went back the other day, and complained. They said will give u model but have to trade in this camera at 35% and get another one i wanted at a very high price. To top it all they were extremely rude, used abusive language, and even threaten to shove me off the shop. I had to approach the security and they informed the police, which ofcourse came, investigated , but didnt do anything other than to ask me to go to tourist board and register a case.

What to buy: Dont buy ANYTHING from this shop

• Sim Lim Square: BEWARE BALLY Photo Trading

by Panlalamang Updated Apr 4, 2011

A small camera and electronic gadget shop on the second floor near the escalator. This shop Bally Photo Trading #02-91/71 with Tel # (65)6333 9160. The Sales person tricked me into buying a camera at a price much higher than its standard retail price making me believe that my first choice was a bad choice. He got my 300 USD and sold me a much cheaper model. For future buyers DO NOT BUY without doing research first. Beware of this store. One day I will get even! Bad Feng Shui for you!

• Adventure Travel

• kenningst's Profile Photo

Sim Lim Square: Electronic and Electrical Stuffs

by kenningst Updated Apr 4, 2011

All the electrical and electronical items you need is available in Sim Lim Square. Prepare to explore the whole mall to get the best price. All shops offer a slightly difference in price and so you will have to do a bit of asking around.

Instant Answers: Singapore