Sim Lim Square, Singapore

by Ken88
  • Sim Lim Square
    by iori_
  • From details to big shops - all electronic
    From details to big shops - all...
    by vinc_bilb

Know about this? Rate It!

• Lyda1973's Profile Photo

Crazy shopping

by Lyda1973 Written Oct 18, 2006

Sim Lim Square (electronics. Bugis Station)

Bugis Village (inexpensive items. Bugis Station)

Marina Bay Area (nice and big shopping malls. City Hall Station): Raffles City, City Link, Suntec City all linked by the Station; Marina Square and Millenia Walk are next to it. Is a huge area for shopping with air cond, restaurants, cafeterias, really nice clothes and sports, nice people. Only in this area you could spend an entire day from 10 am to 10 pm and not to be bored.

Orchard Area (the biggest shopping area in SIN. Orchard Station): Centrepoint, Paragon, Lucky Plaza, Far East Plaza, Wisma Atria, Ngee Ann City are only some of the malls that you can find there in both sides of the road.
    In Christmas the lighting are gorgeous.
    Restaurants and cafeterias everywhere.

The shoppig malls in Singapore are very nice buildings, very modern, clean, organized and sell goods of quality and fashionable .
    You can get a refund of 5% GTS on purchases taken outside the country in most of the malls and stores throughout the city.

Orchard Orchard Bugis Raffles Orchard

• Sim Lim Square "The Camera Shop": Fooled if Unprepared..

by pinay Updated Apr 4, 2011

"The Camera Shop" is located inside Sin Lim Square #01-43A. They have lots of variety of cameras, lenses and accessories to choose from but BEWARE! Their prices reach high as the ceiling and if you think you had a good deal because you haggled half of what he first stated then you're WRONG! I have a bad experience with this shop because I am not planning to be buying anything so I didn't have the chance to check for prices.. haggling half of what he stated seems fair but only to find out that it's still 2x the cost of what I bought. My vacation is okay but my experience with this shop is making the image of Singapore shopping bad.

• Sim Lim Square: Where NOT to buy a camera!

by tourist1982 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Warning to all travellers!
    When buying cameras in Singapore DO NOT go to this shop.

I was railroaded into buying a camera, overcharged and then when I went back to complain, the member of staff (Dencil) shouted at me, generally spoke to me very rudely and even descended into making racist remarks! Highly unacceptable manner of conducting business. I lodged a complaint and through my persistence I finally managed to get a free battery and memory card but I would have rather have got my money back.

Note for all buyers, always make sure you know what you want 1st and what the rrp is and never let anyone force you into buying. Easier said than done!

• Luxury Travel

• Sim Lim Square: Stay Clear of Generation on Ground Floor

by worphco Updated Apr 4, 2011

I recently bought a camera from this shop. The salesman was really nice and funny when doing the sales. He showed me wat liked, and i bought a camera. But unfortunately when i got home and opened the pack it was totally a different model what i chose. I went back the other day, and complained. They said will give u model but have to trade in this camera at 35% and get another one i wanted at a very high price. To top it all they were extremely rude, used abusive language, and even threaten to shove me off the shop. I had to approach the security and they informed the police, which ofcourse came, investigated , but didnt do anything other than to ask me to go to tourist board and register a case.

What to buy: Dont buy ANYTHING from this shop

• Sim Lim Square: BEWARE BALLY Photo Trading

by Panlalamang Updated Apr 4, 2011

A small camera and electronic gadget shop on the second floor near the escalator. This shop Bally Photo Trading #02-91/71 with Tel # (65)6333 9160. The Sales person tricked me into buying a camera at a price much higher than its standard retail price making me believe that my first choice was a bad choice. He got my 300 USD and sold me a much cheaper model. For future buyers DO NOT BUY without doing research first. Beware of this store. One day I will get even! Bad Feng Shui for you!

• Adventure Travel

• kenningst's Profile Photo

Sim Lim Square: Electronic and Electrical Stuffs

by kenningst Updated Apr 4, 2011

All the electrical and electronical items you need is available in Sim Lim Square. Prepare to explore the whole mall to get the best price. All shops offer a slightly difference in price and so you will have to do a bit of asking around.

• Sim Lim Square: Buying a PS3 in Singapore - Be Careful!

by baij Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hi all I couldn't find a place to post about DISreputable shops so I hope you won't mind me posting here - I am aiming to post this info everywhere I can so others don't go thru the same crap I did today. I'm from the UK and in Singapore on holiday and looking for a cheap PS3 console. Went to Funan, Mustafa, Sony shops in Isetan, Best Denki, Harvey Norman - no PS3 in stock anywhere. Only place I could find it was Sim Lim Square at prices too good to be true - surprise surprise - they WERE too good to be true. The guys in Sim Lim Square are pure SCAM artists! Especially Harris at GAMES INNOVATION on the Ground Floor. He said I could buy a PS3 for 399 SGD and it was in stock. When we proceeded to talk he asked where I was from and when I said UK he said this PS3 was region-coded to Asia. I was fairly sure games were region free but Blu-Ray discs weren't but he said this was new in Asia and they had started region-coding the PS3 models and games to get around people buying them cheap and taking them out of Asia. Stupidly I fell for this and bought a "region-free model" from him for 560SGD (which happened to be the same price Sony Style shop quoted, I should have realised what was happening at this point). I wanted the White model so I paid a bit extra for that over the black one. I also bought a controller from him and he was trying to sell me other crap and not giving me any discounts or haggling at all. I got him to take it out of the box and test it all and it worked fine. Problem was I didn't have a UK game to test it with so who knew if it was really region-free or not? Got back to hotel and did more research on this and found on a forum that a guy in HK had exactly same kind of problem. I was so angry so I went all the way back and demanded a refund or difference in price and said this was not region free and that was just a story he made up to get customers to pay a lot more. He refused to refund me. Thankfully I had paid by credit card (for which they charged me 4 percent extra) but I threatened to cancel the card payment if he didn't refund me. Eventually after a lot of arguing I got a full refund. I then asked at a few other shops in Sim Lim Square and a lot of do the same trick. I eventually bought a black PS3 from another shop there for 450 SGD then he said GST was not included so I paid an extra 7 percent. Then I was told I had to buy two games (at vastly inflated prices even compared to the UK) and then he was still trying to convince me to take a region-free model even though no such thing exists as such! Thankfully even after paying over the odds for all of it I still came out 55 UK pounds better but with no warranty (only SIngapore warranty). The second shop also refused to even let me test the console in the shop although he agreed he would replace it if I brought it back the same day. Be warned - don't fall for the sim lim scam artists, don't believe anything to do with region coding, be careful what you pay for anything and use a credit card! It's worth the peace of mind! I hope this helps out some people.

What to buy: Be very careful if buying a PS3

What to pay: More than you bargained for!

• Pc geeks, Sim Lim Square: Avoid PC geeks

by Sph4 Written Feb 15, 2012

I have heard some good things about Sim Lim city so went and had a look for myself. I had the misfortune of going to to pc geeks in the building. While I'm sure that there are reputable traders in the store PC Geeks. I was asking for a part for an HP laptop and I had a part number. I should point out that as a tourist having been to Singapore previously I have not had any problems there but I was ripped off. I was dealt with by one of the staff there who then left to get me what he said was the part. On his return he had an HP part but when I asked him to confirm the part number for me he said it didn't have one. I paid for the item and left. I then checked on line to ensure that they had given me the right part and they hadn't. When I returned I was told that I was out of luck and they had a no refund policy despite them assuring me that it was the part that I asked for. I feel very let down by their actions. Iam out of pocket by $80 and feel that they lied to me to get a sale.

• School Holidays

• Sim Lim Square: Not to buy in sim limm square

by varun_raj30 Written Mar 26, 2012

I advice every one not enter shops in sim lim square as they are all big cheaters, they tell all lies misguide customers, I wanted to but cannon SLR camera EOS 550D I went to one of the shops in sim limm square 2nd floor when i asked the price shop keeper said it is 650sing$ he showed me the camera and after some time he says cannon SX40 is better than EOS 550D he convinced me to which i was convinced as I buying slr camera for first time and i was very eager to buy one finially he said SX40 is better than EOS550D and trusting shopkeeper and having good faith on people of singapore I bought camera cannon SX40 and then now I have come to know that SX40 is just higher version of digital camera and we cannot work like an SLR camera, I paid sing$999 for SX40 it is shock for me as I was told people of singapore are honest and sincere I would not have minded paying more as I have paid more for SX40 but if the shopkeeper had given an SLR camera a good model it would have been good for his reputation and reputation of singapore, this was my second visit to singapore and I had lot of regard for the citizens of singapore but now I will not visit singapore not recomend any one to visit singapore I feel sim lim square is spoiling reputation of singapore, I will write to the prime minister of singapore in detail. I know i will not get any response but I will write to the Hon prime minister of singapore and I will advice all my relations and friends not to visit singapore.Singapore is very good but Sim lim square is spoling reputation of singapore if the government ignores then it will be huge loss to singapore in way of tourisum, hope the authorities take immediate action as one place is spoling the entire reputation of the country. Shame on the shopkeeper. You have sweared on god now god will punish you.

• Sim Lim Square: Warning: Slim Lim Cyber Maestro #02-77

by theo10 Updated May 5, 2012

Bought a Sony mobile phone and the trader recommended to buy a high speed micro sd card as well. As I am not the specialist for everything I trusted the man and he offered me the card for 35 SGD. As I found out later that this card was not a high speed card especially for mobile phone but a normal cheap card for just 8 SGD to buy everywhere. I complaint hardly in the shop 'Cyber Maestro PTE LTD floor 2 number 77. But no chance to return the deal. I ask the tender if his aim is to tread me as a valuable customer or just to sell everything for the maximum price: His answer: Maximum profit is the point.
    I really feel like a victom!
    Please don't buy anything cause you will get ripped off!!!

• Elite 3 Shop PTE LTD: Do not go and buy things in Sim Lim Square

by Ratanak Updated Nov 26, 2012

I and my family had spent a few days of our holiday to visit Singapore where we expected to have full of fun and hapiness. Singapore is one amongst the popular places to visit in Asia, and We are happy to see the country well developed and we expected people also developed. A day left to home, iI and my family went to the shope named " Elite 3 Mobile PTE LTD" in Sim Lim Square. The shop looks like a trustfull shop with young sellers. I tried to seek for a mobile phone for my children from beginning I asked about the price of. SAMSUNG GALAXY SIII model and the seller seems to show his good attitude to be trusted in. The seller in this shop is very good at cheating, he tried to show like a magician with another model by showing a drop and strong scratch, and water proof and told us a lie that this is a new model just in promotion from the company with the price of S$738, haha... this is a 1 year old model of Galaxy Nexus that at the time its price just S$ 420. Because of we do not knw and we trust this man then we decided to buy as he suggested, when I asked the shop outside they said it is out of model and low price. I quickly called to the shop if he allow to exchange another model we like but he said no " No refund and No changeable" . We were so unhappy to hear that, and we released we got cheated by this shop. So in conclusion, if you are a trailer from other countries and if you guys want to be happy while staying in Singapore, you are not recommended to go and visit the above shop. Thie sellers in this shop have cheated a lot of tourists already, please find commends from many people from travel tour agency. If you want to buy things should go the brand shop such as Robinson, Best....... Additionally, we do not believe that such a developed country like Singapore supposed not to have this kind of cheating in public or especially for tourists.

What to buy: You are highly recommended not to visit and buy things in Sim Lim Quare. This shop is not trustful

What to pay: Do not expect to get cheaper price from this shop, in contrast you maybe got cheated like me and then you will loose a lot of money and unhappy during your visit. We are strongly requesting to the local authority to help protect tourists from this cheating shop in future.

• Zoo
    • Casino and Gambling
    • Hiking and Walking

• Focuspoint Sim Lim Square: Completely Unethical

by gmanInSingapore Written Jan 28, 2013

Most unethical practice I have ever been subjected to! I was offered "big discounts" by a salesman, however even with these discounts the price quoted was well above the Manufacturer Recommended Selling Price (MSRP). I asked the salesman directly what the MSRP is, he told me S$900, when in fact it is S$200.

I recommend never going here.

What to buy: Nothing

What to pay: You will pay about 2 to 4x what anything is worth.

by mueggldo Updated Apr 7, 2013

Just got ripp off in Focuspoint Electronics PTE LTD in SIM LIM TOWER. I understand this is ar Market Place and you are suposed to bargain. But that they officially cheat an laugh at you when you come back to complain makes me angry. I just payed 130 Dollar for an adapter worth 10-20 Dollar, just because I'm new to photography and didn't know yesterday how they cheat on customers. There are many complaints about this company on the internet.

They all should brought to court and the store to be shoot down. I thought Singapore has changed in the last 10 years.

Police Officers passing by just said they can't do anything.

• Alvansng's Profile Photo

Sim Lim Square: Bad service in Sim Lim

by Alvansng Written Jul 1, 2013

Lemon Laws are consumer protection laws that provide remedies against defective goods (colloquially known as “lemons”), which fail to conform to the contract at the time of delivery, e.g. do not meet standards of quality and performance, especially after repeated repair. Such laws obligate sellers to repair, replace, or refund or reduce the price of those defective goods.

To find out more about the Lemon Law and how it will affect you as a consumer or business owner, refer to the following:

tourists can also file a coplain about the shop to CASE The Consumers association of singapore

• Sim Lim Square: Avoid buying camera from cheater (2nd floor)

by Ken88 Written Jul 20, 2014

Was stupid enough to buy the Nikon S1(Price quoted from 1st floor is SGD 400) for SGD 800 and found out that the shop is in the list of consumer alert by CASE.

Confront the salesman for a refund/exchange but keep getting the same answer: Boss is not in.

On the spot, there were tourists-husband and wife from Australia facing the same issue.
    They were not expected to get ripped off in SINGAPORE.

Instant Answers: Singapore

• davefreitag's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2015 at 6:40 AM

Hello everybody! I really don’t know why you are saying these things or I’m a really lucky guy or something, because I went to Sim Lim Square and nothing bad occurs to me. Actually the opposite happened. I was looking for IP cameras for some time and making my research. Then I went to Choicecycle store and asked them as many as questions I could. Jason was very patience and explaining everything. His price quote was the best among all the others distributors. I bought a couple of IP Cameras. This model here ( So far they are working very!