Know about this? Rate It!
In this tiny country sports are in the centre of life. Well, at least its right in the middle of town. Padang is the Malay word for ‘big field’. This set of playing fields is a real part of Singapore history as well as an active sports venue. Cricket has been played here since Colonial times. It was a place for the elite to socialise and one corner is known as the Scandal Point where gossip was traded. When the Japanese invaded in 1942 they rounded up all Europeans here before marching them to Changi Prison.
Today you will find the Singapore Recreation Club building and fields where (Field) Hockey and Cricket are played. Sometimes other sports and events are hosted here. It is surrounded by beautiful colonial buildings and should be part of any walking tour of Singapore.
- Arts and Culture
- Family Travel
- Adventure Travel
You can watch Cricket being played in many of the parks in town on the weekend. Saturday morning I watched some of this from my room at the Conrad. Made for a nice and peaceful morning awake as I was only a couple days in the time zone.
In the attached pic you can see some of it. A great setting in the park in the middle of the city.
Singapore Cricket Club is right in the heart of the Padang, the colonial quarter of Singapore. It's a good place to unwind and escape from the tropical heat and enjoy a stiff gin and tonic whilst watching a game of cricket or rugby from the balcony. You need to be a member to get inside, but if you're a member of a reputable sports club overseas and you present a letter of recommendation from your club, you can get in.
The Cricket Club does not use Singaporean money. You purchase a booklet of vouchers which in turn in used to pay for your meals and drinks.
Equipment: Neat casual to get in the dining/ drinks area.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
Singapore Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Kleinschwarzenlohe Hotels
- Mocici Hotels
- Kulusuk Hotels
- Krimpen aan den IJssel Hotels
- Negeri Johor
- Larnaca Sports & Outdoors
- Gloucestershire Sports & Outdoors
- Tijuana Sports & Outdoors
- Vietnam Sports & Outdoors
- Province of Zambales Sports & Outdoors
- Salamanca Sports & Outdoors
- Cadiz Sports & Outdoors
- Burma Sports & Outdoors
- Province of Nova Scotia Sports & Outdoors
- Kyrgyzstan Sports & Outdoors
- Dominican Republic Sports & Outdoors