There are number of bridges over Singapore River and Anderson Bridge is one of them and is still blends in with the changing face of Singapore. However the bridge had a violent past. During the Japanese occupation beheaded criminals and spies were displayed on the bridge column. Don’t get spooks if you walk across the bridge at night alone
It was named after Sir John Anderson. He was the governor of the Straits Settlements. The bridge was constructed between 1908 and 1910. The bridge was built with the intention to replace the older Cavenagh Bridge because it was unable to cope with increasing traffic. (Wikipedia).
The beautiful Anderson Bridge was built in 1910 to reduce the traffic over the Cavenagh suspension bridge.
Anderson Bridge is construction with steel arches support. The bridge connects between the administrative center of City Hall and the commercial district of Shenton Way.
Today, its traffic load is reduced with the Esplanade Bridge.
Anderson Bridge was constructed in 1910 to divert traffic from the overly congested Cavenagh Bridge which is now a pedestrian bridge only. Anderson Bridge would play an important role with the mushrooming trade on the Singapore river and the increasing traffic between the Civic and Commercial Districts seperated by the river.
History repeating itself again, most of Anderson Bridge traffic now flows over the Esplanade Bridge which was opened in 1997 do to increasing traffic once again. The bridge now serves as a direct link between the financial district and City Hall.
***Interesting Fact: During the Japanese occupation of Singapore, severed heads of criminals were hung from the Anderson Bridge to discourage the public from breaking the law.