Go for a walk across or go underneath the historical bridge by boat. Cavenagh Bridge is a pedestrian bridge across the Singapore River.
The Cavenagh Bridge is the only suspension bridge and one of the oldest in Singapore and the oldest bridge in Singapore that exists in its original form (Wikipedia).
The nearest MRT stations are the Raffles Place MRT Station.
This is one of the earliest suspension bridges across the Singapore river. Built in 1869, it was originally intended to be a draw bridge but later was become a fixed bridge.
Traffic has been diverted from this bridge due to overloading concerns. It is now a pleasant pedestrian bridge for commuters to walk and tourists alike.
It was named after one of Singapore's Governor - Major General William Cavenagh (1859-1867).
Cavenagh Bridge was completed in 1869 and is the oldest bridge standing on its original form.It was the first suspension bridge in Singapore. Cavenagh Bridge was named after Major General Sir William Orfeur Cavenagh, who was the Governor of the Straits Settlements from 1859 to 1867. His governorship marked the end of rule by the British administration based in Calcutta.
It was originally planed as a drawbridge.However, it was found upon completion to be suitable only as a fixed structure. It is now a pedestrain bridge.
Built is Glasgow and then reassembled in Singapore in 1869, the Cavegahn Bridge is the only suspension bridge in Singapore and is the oldest bridge to remain in it's original form. Before it's construction, the only ways across the lower section of the Singapore river were upstream across the Elgin Bridge, or by boat.
First used for rickshaws and ox-carts, the bridge is now used for foot traffic only.