Chinatown, Singapore

• limledi's Profile Photo

Pearl's Hill City Park

by limledi Updated Jan 24, 2007

Pearl's Hill City Park

We had a difficult time finding this place coz it's a bit hidden and there's no signboard pointing to its location. You have to climb a long flight of stairs to reach Pearl Bank. The park is alongside the bank. This place is huge with plenty of joggers frequenting this place coz there's a jogging path around the park. There's also a pond and a resting area where you can take a rest after the long walk. Nice park in Chinatown.

• Theme Park Trips
    • Hiking and Walking

• redhotwax's Profile Photo

Stroll around Chinatown

by redhotwax Written Aug 4, 2006

Old meets new in Chinatown..

I guess many big cities have their ethnic neighbourhoods, and I'm always drawn to them. Singapore's China Town is a lot of fun to walk around in, take in the architecture of the old houses of which many have been transformed into office space. See the relatively new high rise buildings tower over Chinatown, a symbol of resistance to Singapore's continueing development..

Enjoy the markets, view or even buy strange things there, and if you need a place to shop for touristy stuff, this is the place!

• Skylink's Profile Photo

Chinatown walking self tours

by Skylink Updated Jun 16, 2006

typical low rise buildings in Chinatown

Chinatown comes from the early British days where the city was partitioned into neighborhoods. Singapore is reportedly 77% ethnic Chinese so it’s a bit funny to have a neighborhood called Chinatown. Here one can see renovated Colonial era storefronts, a sharp departure from the modern buildings in Orchard Road and the Central Business District. Located here is the Sri Mariammann Temple, which isn’t in Little India. A separate entry/picture has been created for the temple. There are walks charting what you can see in Chinatown. In my opinion, if you are short of time, you might leave Chinatown for a subsequent visit. I did not see Chinatown until my third visit to Singapore. On the other hand, on a typical trip to Singapore, I might have only one day to sightsee.

• Applefool's Profile Photo

Chinatown - Keong Siak Road

by Applefool Written May 30, 2006

It is a street that probably brought back alot of memories for the older generations in Singapore.

The structures of the building remained as those back in 1960s with quiet lanes that will bring you back to the old Singapore.

Some old and budgeted hotels can still be found along this road for multi-purposes from budget stay for travellers to hourly rent rooms for people.

Traditional temple could also be found with very ancient way of praying methods for the blessings for oneself and the family.

One can also take a rest at one of the coffeeshop along this road and listen to the daily conversation and observe the lifestyle of the typical Singaporeans.

This is a road which I would recommend if you would like to see the more untouched and laid-back of Singapore.

• Ausviet's Profile Photo

Shopping at Chinatown Night Market

by Ausviet Updated May 14, 2006

The best thing about Chinatown Night Market is the festival atmosphere, it's fun and excited. Shopping here is a bit tricky, not everything is cheap. Clothing is definitely expensive. If the only time you spend in Chinatown is at the Night Market you can buy some small gifts for people at home. If you come from a Western country choose something that looks Oriental because you may not find it at large shopping centres. Personally I like the Chinese style tissue box covers, they are very beautiful and cheap!.

• Ausviet's Profile Photo

Breakfast in Chinatown

by Ausviet Written May 12, 2006

In the photo is my son standing in front of the coffee shop of Furama City Centre Hotel where we stayed. If you are on a SIA stopover holiday you can get 50 % off the items on the coffee shop a la carte menu. However, if you want to have a cheap Asian style breakfast like the locals just exploring around the nearby housing estate buildings and you will find some very good coffee shops. One day I wandered around People Park Centre and found a coffee shop that served deli-style egg and luncheon baguettes for $2.50 each. It was very delicious so I had to come back the next day !

• Applelyn's Profile Photo

by Applelyn Written Mar 11, 2006

Traditional Chinese Sweets

The name "Chinatown" speaks for itself. You can take a train and drop at Chinatown MRT station. Trying the dim sum there is a must. But do it sparingly--very fattening. The pic below shows a range of traditional chinese sweets and you can buy a packet that consists every kind for about SGD3 to try the taste. Bak Kwa (Chinese version of BBQ Meat) is worth a try too.

• snuggie's Profile Photo

Trishaw Tour in Chinatown

by snuggie Written Feb 17, 2006

Take a ride on the trishaw and it will bring you around Chinatown.These places would include Maxwell Rd,Telok Ayer Street,Al Abrar Mosque,Thian Hock Keng Temple,Temple Street,Sri Mariamman Temple,Mosque Street and Jamae Mosque.

Location: Chinatown Trishaw Park
    Time: 10am - 7pm (inc PH)

• litekimchi's Profile Photo

Walk Around Chinatown

by litekimchi Written Jan 30, 2006

Unfortunately, Chinatown has become a tourist trap, especially the market streets (Pagoda, Smith, Trengganu and Smith). But you can still catch glimpses in small mom-and-pop stores around.

Too bad I didn't get to walk around past the street markets. But next time, I'll make sure I'll find other pockets of Chinatown and take pictures of restored old shophouses. And eat more yang tau foo!

• truesally's Profile Photo

Get A New 'Do While You Wait for Shops to Open!

by truesally Written Jan 3, 2006

Because we had limited time in Singapore, we woke early to get where we wanted to go. Well, just because most places in the states will open at dawn doesn't mean the rest of the world follows suit. We were in Chinatown by 9:30 am (the MRT is so awesome!) but nothing opened until 11 am. Some of the street shops were setting up and let us poke around, and we got some delicious bean paste treats from a vendor, but otherwise everything was barely awake.

We found a mall-type place that allowed us in even though the stores were still closed so we wandered around. Upstairs, we stumbled upon a beauty school just setting out their sign - I could get my hair highlighted for about $25US and it would take an hour. Something to do while we waited! After much negotiating with the only English-speaking person in charge (he was asking me to pay $60US because he didn't think I really wanted a student to do the work...I'm a teacher - I appreciate people learning by doing :)), I got my hair done. Not bad! A little brassy but what the heck, I'm on vacation.

Even if coloring is not your thing, consider a haircut or manicure - I was pretty pleased with myself for finding an out-of-the-box solution to the problem of wandering the already hot streets while waiting for places to open.

• Women's Travel

• imstress's Profile Photo

by imstress Updated Oct 19, 2005

Chinatown Night Market

Colourful shophouses, shops, Sri Mariamman Temple, Chinatown Heritage Centre, troupe performance, trishaw ride, food centre, restaurants, wet market is what you can find in Singapore's Chinatown.

With the new concept of a night market, it would be a good place to shop and eat. You can avoid the heat during day time.

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo

China town

by Pete.Gibson Written Oct 18, 2005

Chinatown known localy as Niu Che Shui in Chinese that translates to bullock cart, water ! sounds strange but in those early days of chinatown it had no running water, so all the water was transported by Bullock carts

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• JuraidahJ's Profile Photo

by JuraidahJ Written Jun 21, 2005

Another of my favourite places to bring my friedns and realtives from overseas or even for my own shopping.

In Chinatwon you can get old goodies as well as new. I like to walk around here and buy things at a very good price. Go to the market where there is 2 story - level one for wet goods and level 2 for the dry goods. Its a little stuffy but you can bargain and get good items.

• xtephen's Profile Photo

Go shopping in China town

by xtephen Written May 4, 2005

I never thought I would give such an endorsement, but I definetly recommend shopping in China town. I typically dislike shopping, but I thouroughly enjoyed shopping there. I picked up several silk shirts, a kimono for my gf & mother, & some other good stuff.

The food I ate there was excellent. Beer was pretty good too ;)

• trisanna's Profile Photo

by trisanna Updated Apr 12, 2005

Chinese shophouse

Chinatown is one of the interesting quarters of Singapore. Originally created by the British, who placed various Chinese immigrants, mostly by ethnic groups in defined areas. The British did this with all the Singaporean ethnic groups. Chinatown is a living breathing part of life here. They have a great wet market(wonderful fruits and veggies)-but just watch out for the turtles and frogs for sale (quite sad). Lovely architecture. One of the best times to witness life in Chinatown is a few days before the Lunar New Year or Dumpling festival. In the evening, there is a little night baazar (very tame compared to Bangkok), but still pleasant to walk through at night. On Smith Street-it is lined with hawkers, selling mostly Chinese food. Supposedly the government approached some of the best hawkers to set up shop here. Try the popiah-it's one of my favorites.

Instant Answers: Singapore