Lucky Plaza, Singapore

• Lucky Plaza
    by heryanta
  • Lucky Plaza Singapore

by kriskraven Updated Dec 8, 2009

Lucky Plaza is promoted as a good place to purchase electronics in Singapore - Somewhere to get a bargain. Instead, expect to be ripped-off at every opportunity. You could end up with:

* A second hand camera
    * An 'export model' with no warranty
    * An old model camera touted as the latest model
    * A camera worth 1/2 what you actually paid for it.

Unique Suggestions: Understand that up to 10 of the shops on a floor will be operated by the same owner. You will see the same salesman jumping in between the stores. His name will probably be 'Freddy' So comparing prices between stores within this complex is not a good idea.

1. Do not hand over your money until you are absolutely certain. There is no such thing as a returns policy, or consumer rights with retail purchases from most shops.

2. If you do get caught out, then go back to the store and ask for a refund. They will probably refuse. They probably lied to you during the sales process, so now you have premise to go the Small Claims Tribunal: http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/sct/page.aspx?pageid=3948

3. If you have an overly pushy salesman, just walk away, no matter how much he keeps knocking off the price.

Say that you are leaving the country in the next couple of days, and they will probably process your claim on the same day. A court officer will escort you to the shop and serve them a notice, and they will then very likely give you your money back on the spot.

Fun Alternatives: 1. Shop at a reputable electronics chain. You can usually bargain them down to a good price. You will only save another 2-3% shopping at small and most often, shady shops.

2. Shop online. Singapore is not the electronics discount haven it once was. You can usually get better product information and prices online.

3. Shop at the Mustafa Centre in Little India. Their prices were very competitive and they were my last stop before I left Singapore.

• Unlucky in Lucky Plaza

by luvthesun1981 Written Jan 30, 2009

Warning:

Don’t ever buy electronic goods from Lucky Plaza mall in Orchard.
    They overprice the items they’re selling. They will lure and cheat you in buying.

Don’t ever buy from this store.

G3 ADVANCE TRADING
    304 Orchard Road #B1-18 Lucky Plaza Singapore 238863
    Tel No: 6235 0322

It’s just in front of Lucky Plaza basement, you will see it right ahead when you’re coming from Wisma Astria via the Taka underpass.

They have the most dishonest and rudest staff. I went to Lucky Plaza with my 2 friends and bought a PSP. The staff said it’s for $250 plus 7% tax. And so I thought we’ve agreed on the price. Knowing that is a PSP and should be portable, it should come with a battery. But then, he told us that battery wasn’t included! So I ended up paying $300 for the PSP unit. I even called a guy friend to ask if that’s a good price and $300 is not bad for a PSP unit. Tired from a whole afternoon of PSP scouting, and the shops were about to close, we paid $320 (w/ tax) for the PSP unit.

We only found out when we got home that the PSP I bought was a ripped off !!! It was a PSP FAT (1000 version!) and not the PSP Slim (2000 ver.). I felt cheated. Plus, he billed us $25 for the tax. If it’s 7% , it should be $17.50 only. I was so disappointed.

After the Chinese New Year, I went back with 3 of my friends to have it exchanged but he said its non-returnable and non-exchangeable. He’s firm about it and he didn’t even apologize !!! I asked him. “why would I buy a PSP Fat for a price of PSP Slim?” He said why didn’t you buy from other stores?” I asked for refund and he even admitted that he cheated on me. He said, “You gave me $320, you’re stupid from buying from me.”

How dare him to call me, as a customer, stupid! I was stupid from trusting him. My blood rose and I continued to argue. He even has the guts to look me in the eye. He must be used to have this kind of fight everyday. Out of frustration, I shouted to all people in there not to buy from this store. Don’t ever buy from this store ! Cheaters! Cheaters ! Cheaters !

Note: Don’t buy from this store!

G3 ADVANCE TRADING
    304 Orchard Road #B1-18 Lucky Plaza Singapore 238863
    Tel No: 6235 0322

Five of my friends witnessed how he treated customers badly. I asked for his name and he said its Danny Goh or Gon but I’m sure that’s not his real name.

He’s so rude. Grrrr …. I wanted to punch him in the face but that will cost me 9 years in prison. He’s not even worth being my reason to visit Changi.

I told them that they will lose their business soon and they told us to leave them alone. Afraid of bar karma, eh ???

They will surely lose their business soooooooon if they continue cheating on customers. I feel bad for the tourists and foreigners like me that they have “robbed”. Hey, we’re working hard to earn money.

I hope the shop owners in Lucky Plaza will stop cheating on tourists and foreigners. I hope the government and media will be aware of the ongoing unfair business practices in Lucky Plaza.

My friend advised me to file a case against them thru the Small Claims Tribunal of Singapore, http://www.smallclaims.gov.sg/ to teach those cheaters a lesson.

I have also checked CASE, Consumers Association of Singapore, http://www.case.org.sg/, to file a complaint.

If you know someone that has been cheated in Lucky Plaza, or had a bad customer experience in Lucky Plaza electronic stores, pls. tell your friends to beware of the cheaters in Lucky Plaza, spread the word, post it on blogs and we can even make a petition to file a case against them.

They can’t get away from their crappy business attitude.

Oh well, this serves as a learning experience for me and a costly eye-opener as well. Spend wisely, so they say. =)

And PLLLLEAASSEE DON’’T EVER BUY ELECTRONIC GOODS FROM LUCKY PLAZA ! ! !

• Work Abroad

• jilaph's Profile Photo

Lucky Plaza is NOT that Luckyful

by jilaph Written Mar 18, 2008

On March 14,2008 me and my mom was visiting singapore and went to Lucky Plaza at Orchard road.
    we were looking for new number for my cellphone coz we need to call someone. We stopped on EZ Advance Trading Enterprise in the basement and asked where we can get it,and the person there, Melvin Lee (he gave me his name card), asked my passport and took my passport away without asking. He came back after few moment with the new sim card and he charged us 380 Dollar!!!!!
    we fight and after a long struggling, finally he asked us to pay $170, and we decided to pay cos we felt pitty to him and believe that we have $150 credit in it.
    After I left and using my phone for only 5 minutes, I realized that the credit was only $11!!!
    Angryly, I returned to the shop and I demand him to give my money back. I told him that I knew he was cheating on me, amazingly he said that I was the one who cheated on him!!!
    we fought,arguing one another until finally he screamed and I think he swearing in his language, Chinese language, and threatened my mom that he will hit us.we said 'please do and I'll call the police and the embassy'.
    he left and his boss came and tried to compromised but we still demand our money back.
    After long argue, finally he gave our money back for $150.
    I think not just me who was cheated by them but lot of tourists were cheated by them.
    What a shame for Singapore.

Unique Suggestions: If you have to go to that place it will be better if you search the normal price of the items you want to buy.
    don't pay if they ask us a not reasonable price.
    Just fight for the right and if you need to, call police on 999.they will come as fast as possible.
    don't be afraid to arguing with them, they deserve it.

Fun Alternatives: the alternative is don't buy there!!!
    or if you really need to buy something there, don't be afraid to bargain.

• Electronic camera ripoff

by shoppernomore Written Jan 31, 2008

Do not shop at this store, The Digital Specialists PTE LTE Lucky Plaza, very smooth con men, talked us into trading a camera and parting with cash and the camera we thought we recieved was not the brand suggested or hinted at. The quality was rubbish.

I will have my revenge about to post their store name on a Defence Web page so no Serviceperson will ever shop there again. Airforce Army or Navy. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF

Unique Suggestions: Look carefully at what you purchase and never let your eyes leave what their doing with their hands. Do not listen to the hype.

Fun Alternatives: Only go to the large department stores with the reputation

• The Digital Specialist in Lucky Plaza, Singapore

by evisser008 Written Jan 7, 2008

We purchased items at THE DIGITAL SPECIALIST at the Lucky Plaza in Singapore and were grossly ripped off. We went in to purchase a Sigma 18-200mm lens, were convinced by the salesman that the lens is dated, and to buy a Cosina 28-210mm lens. The Cosina lens was sold to us for about SGD 800, where it only costs about SGD 140 anywhere else. He also convinced us to buy a "Sharpixels" videocamera for SGD 2200 with all his smart stories. We later found out that this is an unknown make (never heard of actually), not worth 1/20 as much as he charged, and it switches off by itself (then you have to press reset to be able to switch it on again). We bought several other items from him, and all turned out to be rip-offs. BE WARNED!!! These guys are the greatest of criminals!!!!!

Unique Suggestions: Know what you want to buy, know your prices, don't be convinced by anything the salesman says, and make sure you receive a sealed original box.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Overpriced electronic goods - Lucky Plaza

by aukahkay Updated Oct 13, 2007

If you are planning to buy CD players, MP3 players, DVD players, digicams or other electronic equipment, DO NOT go to Lucky Plaza. There have been a number of incidents where tourists have been fleeced and paid up to 400% more for digital cameras and videocams.

Unique Suggestions: Avoid buying electronic goods from Lucky Plaza at all costs. The sales staff are very pushy and may turn aggressive if you test out the equipment and do not purchase it.

Fun Alternatives: If you want to buy electronic goods, may I suggest you go to Best Denki or Harvey Norman chain of shops. There is usually a Best Denki or Harvey Norman at every major departmental store. The most convenient for tourists will be the branch at Ngee Ann City on Orchard Road. The price is displayed and fixed and you do not have to bargain. If the product is defective, you can return it and they will replace it one-for-one with no questions asked. The sales assistants are helpful and knowledgeable and will not pressurise you to commit to your purchase unless you are fully satisfied with the product.

• School Holidays

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Lucky plaza - you need to be lucky or informed!

by heryanta Written Jul 20, 2007

Lucky plaza gives the impression of a good bargain. It is located on the glitzy Orchard road but instead of large shopping hall with beautifully dressed shop assistants it has small shops manned by 'expert-looking' salespersons. Somehow when I go to a shop that has cheap furnishing I almost always have this assumption that their prices will be cheap too (lower overhead?).

So I went here in 2004 looking for a high end digital camera. I had an idea of how much it would cost at a manufacturer's outlet so I wasn't worried about being duped. And then the 'game' started, with opening prices close to 150% of the manufacturer's outlet price.

40 minutes or so later, after threatening to leave a couple of times I managed to get it down to almost SG$75 less and was quite pleased to make the deal. As the salesperson was writing the sales invoice he casually asked "do you also need some accessories? battery, pouch, memory card?"
    I know that the box supposed to include all three! And here's the tourist trap: they drive a hard bargain for the camera, sell it under official price and then make money on the 'accessories'. So another round of negotiations ensued and in the end I didn't save any money and found out later I was cheated on the memory card .. as I was given one with less capacity than the official one that comes in the box!

• prisyap's Profile Photo

Purchasing electronic Goods

by prisyap Written Jun 8, 2007

Sim Lim and Lucky Plaza are normally controlled by small retailers hence there will be no control of pricing. There are no price tags on their products in their shop. Sales Person might start off with a higher pricing if you are a Tourist.

Unique Suggestions: If you really need to go to these shops, please to the following preparation:-
    1. Do you research on the cost of the products in big mega stores
    2. Bargain is a must

Fun Alternatives: As part from Sim Lim Square and Lucky Plaza which are operated by small retailers shop, tourist can also visit Audio House located at Liang Court next to Clake Quay. They are the 1st and only electronics mega-store selected by Singapore Tourism Board as service role model for "The Best of Singapore in Service Excellence". They also provide a full refund within 7days if you are dissatisfied with the service, price or quality, no questions asked. I'm sure you can get pleasant shopping trips with a wide range of products to select from.

• Singapore rip off Lucky Plaza

by Davidjc Written Apr 23, 2007

The Digital Specialists PTE LTE Lucky Plaza 304 Orchard Road Singapore Very cleaver con men REALLY ripped me off big time .Overcharged me (at least twice the price) and than put Factory return camera in box(as his assistant spoke to me).When I went back they told me to *** off.I told them I would go to consumer Affairs they laughed said they can do nothing(which is about right)

Unique Suggestions: Never never buy from the first shop always get several prices .(if have internet get idea of price on E bay)When you can walk away form shop you are getting close on price.

Fun Alternatives: Shops in Indian area seemed better, but still be careful never buy at first shop

• Study Abroad

• Best Deals

by 0387 Updated Feb 6, 2006

Avoid all shops that give you a ridiculously low price or those that tell you they dont have the product in stock so buy a different but "better" product because they are out to rip you off. Make sure you get everything with what your buying, eg. cables, warranty, battries. Dont allow the shops to sell you something that should already come in the package.

Unique Suggestions: For the best deal possible go to sim lim or lucky plaza, however you need to use common sense and do some research at home of the prices and stick to the product you want and brands you know and trust.

Fun Alternatives: Alternatively buy the goods from a reputable department store if your prepared to pay a higher price at the cost of risking getting ripped off!

• manja13's Profile Photo

TOURIST TRAP TIP

by manja13 Written Nov 21, 2004

Somehow tourist like to go to Lucky Plaza...i dunno why.
    But if u do, try not to get hassled by the shopkeepers. They will somehow make you into buying that camera.
    Make sure u do your homework, before u decide to buy the products esp. electronics and stuff.

The best tip i can give you is to compare the prices at Shopping centres like Harvey Norman, Courts, Best Denki, Safe Superstore as their prices are fixed. Some even give freebies...so check the prices there before u decide to go to Sim Lim or other places to buy that digi cam you've been eyeing for.

Unique Suggestions: Harvey Norman - Millenia Walk
    Best Denki - Takashimaya
    Courts - Plaza Singapure

• sgcheongster's Profile Photo

Lucky Plaza

by sgcheongster Written May 9, 2004

Although many website would have recommend lucky plaza, please be vilgant when visiting this shopping center as the shops there are meant to rip tourists. They would jack up the price of the original electronic products to 400% and then put up a fake clearance sale selling at half price. The tourists would buy and will get a shock after realising other shops selling at half the price.

Unique Suggestions: Scold your tour guide for bringing you to such a bad place. If you are there and really want to buy, buy from shop with CaseTrust certificate.

Fun Alternatives: go to www.sgcheongster.com to find much better shopping mall!

Instant Answers: Singapore