Sim Lim Square - Electronic Goods, Singapore

by drogoul
  • AudK's Profile Photo

Shop smart for IT and Electronic Goods

by AudK Updated Nov 28, 2004

Do be aware of fakes at Sim Lim Square. I was almost ripped off of a Sony playstation controller. The subtle differences between the original and the fake were so small, its difficult for the average customer to tell apart. If my friend hadn't pointed that out to me, I would have gone ahead and purchased a fake, thinking it was the original!

Unique Suggestions: Look for shops that are part of the Star Retailers Programme. These shops have the Star Retailers Programme Icon displayed on their shop front.

Also, to avoid being ripped off, you may wish to check out price guides at www.hardwarezone.com

The price list is updated every week.

Fun Alternatives: Of course, most of the items sold at Sim Lim Square are genuine. But when in doubt, I would rather head to Funan IT Mall, Harvey Norman or Best Denki and pay a little bit more for a piece of mind.

• Sim Lim

by kissgurami Written May 25, 2004

prices r not tagged at Sim Lim so take caution. they can "smell" a non-local so the prices might get jacked up.

The electronic prices r also rather "high" at the airports @ the departure hall.

Unique Suggestions: try to know the prices before hand.

u can go to this website : www.bargaincity.com.sg they feature the prices which is ard the market value but the prices stated might be cheaper at times . so juz take it as a guide.

• Greatfun45au's Profile Photo

MD players

by Greatfun45au Written May 3, 2004

I needed to get a MD player for my son and wanted it to be internet capable for downloading music. Was told yes but it was not so... Well we live and learn hey!

Unique Suggestions: Make sure you get what you paid for...

Fun Alternatives: Buy it duty free before you go on your trip

• kartik1000's Profile Photo

Sim Lim Square - Be aware!

by kartik1000 Updated Oct 1, 2003

The consumer electronics floors of Sim Lim Square (floors 1 to 3) can be attractive but be aware of the con men there. They usually don't display the price and will jack up the price for tourists. Sometimes they may show you a product that you wanted, and then tell you negative things about it which may not be true - eg I know of one case where they connected a camcorder to a TV screen using an defective cable and then showed the same thing with another (more expensive camera) but with a good cable, making you believe that the cheaper camera had inferior video quality. When this was pointed out, they got angry. Be prepared for rude behaviour if you decide to walk away.

For a list of shops officially blacklisted by the Singapore Tourism Board, go here -> http://www.visitsingapore.com/sections/3a/0,1138,460,00.html

Unique Suggestions: Best thing is to do your research first. Always find out the market price of the product you are intrested in from other places (such as Funan IT mall or Harvey Norman), so you can have an idea of how to it costs. In most cases you can bargain with the people there and bring it down from the market price, but make sure you get them to agree on the final price - sometimes the price they would quote would not include GST, or they may leave out things like the battery which you have to buy separately from them (probably at a higher price).

Fun Alternatives: Mustaffa Center (aka Serangoon Plaza) - Prices there are generally lower than most other places and they are quite willing to entertain you to try out the product or have a look at as many as you would like without being scorned. If you still choose not to buy it, you can just walk away, no hard feelings. There's also a GST counter there so you can get your paperwork done within the premises.

Instant Answers: Singapore

• May 31, 2014 at 2:35 AM

It is nice post.Thank you.

• Jul 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM

We have been scammed by Camera. Comp Specialist Pte Ltd at 220 Orchard Road Singapore.
    We purchased a panasonic Lumix DMC FZ60 from camera.comp specialist Pte Ltd . It's actual price was about $500 and he sold us for $800. He also tried to sell us accessories for $260 and sold us for $80 forcibly. Surely some action has to be taken. Tourists are made easy prey by such shopkeepers. We customers are really annoyed. We came to singapore for purchasing but it will not happen in future after our this experience.

• Jun 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I sympathise because I was also scammed by them in the same way by $AUD totals on their calculator after myriad discounts (agreed to) exceeded by extra accessories added supposedly for the same total to conclude the sale. However I was asked to sign several (not one) dockets for my total credit card withdrawal without me taking much notice of the amounts.
      It is my own fault but it was a combination of factors including that I am used to a PIN for my credit card whereby I see the total amount being taken out.
      I was a fool and paid about twice the standard retail price for the goods.
      However the transactions are legal since I signed for them - my gullibility or simply that I initially trust people as the way I prefer to lead my life?
      I have learned at least a procedural lesson for buying goods in Singapore.

It certainly is "buyer beware" but I come from Australia where I do not anticipate being deliberately cheated by sleight of hand financial transactions by Retailers in established shopfronts. It is not bargaining.

I would not recommend buying anything from Camera.Comp Specialist Pte Ltd at 220 Orchard Road Singapore.

Tony Galea

• Apr 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM

BEWARE !! NARANJAN / NIRANJAN is a CHEAT - I bought Samsung S3 and the guy at the counter told that it was under international warranty. But a couple of days after the purchase noticed that the phone was loosing mobile network often. Samsung service center told there is no international warranty on the phones and i have to pay for the repair SGD 300. I took it back to Naranjan. They sardar at the counter was not ready to entertain the complaint at all and said he cannot do anything about it. the SARDAR is a cheat. DONOT BUY anything from this shop :(

• Mar 11, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I ALSO HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS STORE. THE SLR PRO PTE LTD SUCKS. THE FAT GUY THERE IS VERY RUDE. HE CHEATED US AND DUPED.TRAPPED US TO BUY THINGS OTHER THAN WHAT I WANTED.HES A MONSTER. I CURSE THIS STORE. DONT PATRONIZE AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS STORE.