Early Printing Museum of Cheongju has been opened since March 17, 2002 at Heungdeok Temple site where the oldest metal type printing, BaekunHwasangChorokBuljoSimcheYojol, was made. This museum specializes in early printings and advertises that Korean ancestors invented and developed metal printing types. And it is used for educational purposes like delivering ancestors great achievement and studying the Korean history of printing culture development. And I promise the Early Printing Museum of Cheongju will establish the status of our ancestors¢¢ç¯ printing culture in the world and play an important role by databanking Jikji for human public interest, holding workshops on international registered legacy, and researching with the world-famous printing museums in Germany and China, etc.
It is a temple site of the United Silla Dynasty, located in Uncheon-dong, Cheongju. Upon the excavation in 1985, the building sites involving geumdangji, or the site of a temple's main prayer hall, seohoerangji, or the site of west gallery, auditorium, annex, etc.
In Huengdeok Temple precinct is the Ancient Printing Museum located where the Buddhist text titled "Jikji" printed by removable metal types for thefirst time in the world.
The site is a stone wall fortress of large scale, pogok-style, with a circumference of 4.2km and a height of 3m to 4m.
Sangdang-sanseong is a parabolic stone fortress. Its name might come from Snagdang-hyeon of Beakje, one of Three Kingdoms. Its circumference is 4Km long, and the size of its inner part is 1,808,000m©¢¢çÀ. Unfortunately the exact construction year is unknown, but the historical book on Three kingdoms called Samguksagi shows some records of the site. The present fortress is the one rebuilt in the year of King Sukjong(1716) after its reparation during the invasion of Japan in the 29th year of King Seonjo(1596). Snagdang-sanseong presently has three main gates (East, West, and South Gates),two plain gates, three turrets, and three waterways. Through the maintenance construction, the turrets of the East and the South Gate, and the Tower of the East Gate(Dongjangdae) were rebuilt. Meanwhile the site of the Tower of the West Gate (Seojangdae) was also found.
Chimis were massively excavated on the north of the main building's site, and it seems that it was there without much movement after it fell from the main building. The total height is assumed to be 1.5m and it displays the magnificence of the temple. It is made of dark grey clay, and the reddish section indicates that it was baked in high temperature. One side is damaged severely but it is in a state that can be restored by assumptions. The part which was attached to the female roof is left, however the collar is severely damaged. The back looks to be the same style with Miku roof tile. By restoring the collar and the back it was confirmed that it was made of 2 parts(upper and lower) put together. The body part is divided into the side and the back, and on the back and the side wave designs are engraved. The semicircular collar is divided into sections and each section has a fish bone design engraved. This Chimi is assumed to be of Goryeo. Current size is 150cm high, 100cm wide, and 58cm thick.
Beopjusa temple was founded in 553 by the monk Uishin during the reign of King Chinhung (540-576). According to records of the 12th and 13th centuries, based on written records from earlier times, it is said that as many as 3,000 monks lived here.In the 12th century, the Goryeo king gathered thousands of monks to pray for the recovery of the famous "National Teacher" Uichion,who was then an advisor to the king.
The temple is famous for its five-story wooden pagoda—the only one left in Korea. It was originally built many centuries ago, but one of the later reconstructions burned in the Japanese invasions of 1592-98. The present pagoda dates from the time of reconstruction in 1624.
A boat ride offers the best views of Chungju Lake and surrounding terrain, which is mostly very rugged. There are several different rides, which vary from a half hour to two hours in duration. Any of them is worth the price.
When you take the path from the parking lot to walk to the temple, you will pass a huge door , flanked on its inner side by two wild looking guards.
Inside Beopjusa' s temple square you will find a huge iron cauldron; history has it, that the cauldron once was used to cook the daily meals for the then up to 3000 monks, living in Beopjusa temple.
Near Chungju is this small but spectacular cave. It has many of the features that other caves are known for--stalacmites, stalactites, strange rock formations, etc.