Eating & Drinking, Seoul

• Eating & Drinking
  • Eating & Drinking

Korean Nori Snacks

by machomikemd Written Apr 6, 2015

Nori Seaweed Paste made from kelp are popular in Japan and South Korea and are wrapped around assorted sushis and maki in Japan and in Kimbap in South Korea and both contries also have Nori Snacks that are sold alongside other snacks and the nori snacks are flavored into many kinds like with chili, with sesame seeds, wrapped in rice crackers and more, you can buy them along many convenience stores and souvenir stalls around seoul and they cost 1,500 to 1,800 won per aluminum resealable packs.

• shavy's Profile Photo

You find them everywhere in the city

by shavy Updated Mar 21, 2015

During our walk in Myeongdong, this food vendors are selling food in a middle of a shopping street which I find so convenient for shoppers. It is very cheap though, price stated on the board. Well we're here looking for restaurant but the first one we saw is the Pizza Hut, so we're go for it.

The restaurant where we eat is in the middle of shopping street in a storey building, up there we have a good view of food stalls down below. After our dinner we pass through again to the same street where the stalls are, and I can't leave the place without tasting this local food. They apparently better than my pizza. Looking at it, give me a watering mouth and you see they are freshly made. The food streets in Seoul is always very hot because its bake or grill on spot. Seoul has good local food, its amazingly good

Foodstreet in Seoul
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

Pops ice popsicles

by shavy Written Mar 9, 2015

While wandering in Seoul in the shopping street, even though was freezing outside but still so many people do shopping. Big sales was busy at that moment, I just do my window shopping and curiosity. We pass through different shops, restaurant, cafe and bars. One shop it stops me and caught my attention is the ice cream bar. Wow, I never seen like this before, I don't even know where to put this tip. I wrote it down on local custom.

This popsicles were so attractive, I didn't bought anything because I have so cold. And I've seen people walking around eating this lolly. Popsicles are available in various flavors but in the photo this rack was almost run out of stock. While we walk further we saw another shops with more stock in the rack, but there were so many people waiting in row so taking picture is difficult

The cheapest one is about 3 euro (3.900)won. I wish it was summer in Seoul, so I could try the Popsicle. The nicest thing I liked, that those lollies are standing in the freezer, this is a first time I see lolly outside. Popsicles I know are keep inside the freezer. The flavors were recognizable to its color and motive

Ice lolly
    • Castles and Palaces

Simply egg noodle soup

by shavy Updated Mar 8, 2015

Cuisine in South Korea is spicy. I like their culture because they are not selfish. When you order a food or just noodle soup they warn you that is spicy, and that way, the customer won't get surprised the taste later. It is hard to choose something when you only had the photos in front of you and number, the rest is only in Korean. Still I didn't know what's in the ingredients

South Korea eat a lot of soups, everywhere we saw on the menu soup is always presented. Well, I like particularly the noodle soup, at least I know what's in the bowl. I've seen many different kind of soups, but is impossible to see what's in it. Some of this soup is in orange color, it means that is very spicy. They serve the soup with sliced ginger and some other stuff which I really don't like the taste of it.

Such as any Chinese country, Seoul eat a lot of soups. I've seen the tradition a bit the same as in Tokyo. During the day while we wandering around there are food stalls everywhere where soups are available. The photo above is a soup I bought at Incheon airport

• nyperose's Profile Photo

Dried fish in Korea

by nyperose Written Dec 7, 2013

Dried fish are found in all shapes and sizes in Korea, and I found it fascinating to walk around and look at the open stalls where they were both laying and hanging.

You are often offered to have a taste of a dried squid, a dried shrimp or other small dried fish when you are wandering around looking at the stalls, and some were pretty tasty - very different from Europe!

A dried squid overlooking other dry fish Dried Korean fish

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Drinking in Korea

by Ewingjr98 Updated May 4, 2013

Beer, or "Maekju" in Hangeul, in probably the most popular Korean drink for foreigners. The two most common brands are OB (Oriental Brewery) and Cass.

OB, first brewed in 1933, has 4.4 % alcohol and claims "timeless enduring heritage, craftsmanship and new rice addition deliver refreshing smoothness and clean aftertaste, making OB the most drinkable beer." I'll admit, OB is VERY drinkable, but I really couldn't taste their "new rice addition."

Cass is the newer brand, and has 4.5 % alcohol by volume. Rather than taste, Cass declares itself as "the Refrashing Beer that Vitalizes Youth and is Cold-filtered for the most Freshness." If I can say one thing about Cass, it certainly Vitalizes Youth, if my understanding is the same as theirs... During my time here, I never quite figured out how to say "Cass" so that Koreans understood me... I tried cass, cahs, caws, cassa, cassu, caus, and other varients with no luck. If anyone can give me the correct pronunciation (and something it rhymes with), I'll be forever in debt!.

You will occasionally see Hite beer, Hite Stout, and Cafri but none are as Drinkable or Vitalizing as OB and Cass. Through my most dilligent research, I have concluded that OB, Cass, and Cafri are all brewed by the same company -- see Oriental Brewing Co's website at www.beer.co.kr. Hite's website is http://www.hite.com

Other traditional Korean liquors are soju, or potato wine, and makgeolli, a milky rice wine.

Korean Booze Makgeolli Soju Cass beer
    • Work Abroad

Honey Bread

by machomikemd Updated Sep 20, 2012

Another favorite of mine because i'm a sweet tooth! this is also sweet and good at every bite. it costs 600 won and is also available at convenience stores everywhere. The honey bread is another common favorite sweet and snack of both the South Koreans and th Japanese and I will have pictures of both.

ahh, more please! japanese honey bread more honey bread

Milk Bread, Creamy!

by machomikemd Updated Sep 20, 2012

Korean and Japanese Sweets can be strikingly similar! an example of the common similarities of both countries is the milk bread, My favorite, it is sweet and very creamy, it's filling and it only cost 800 won a pack. available in convenience stores. They are really popular here in South Korean and in Japan, see my pictures for both kinds as a comparison.

Ah, Such Good Bread! japanese milk bread yummy milk filling

Rice Crispies

by machomikemd Updated Sep 20, 2012

this are rounded rice crispies that are very sweet but also tasty and is similar to japanese rice crispies but the japanese ones are larger and more flat. costs 1000 won.See my pictures for the comparison between the korean and japanese rice crispies. Rice Crispies are a popular snack across east asia and south east asia.

yum korean rice crispies japanese rice crispies

• Hayeong (Offering Roasted Black Pork)

by kimmijin Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hayeong is a newly-opened restaurant perched on top of a hill at the entrance of the Jungmun Resort Complex in Jeju. The restaurant serves high-quality, roasted black pork (for which the island is famous). Not only can visitors expect some excellent cuisine representative of Jeju, but diners are also treated to a gorgeous view of the sea and the surrounding tourist attractions of the Jungmun Resort Complex. Located right on the main road of Ilju, between the Jungmun Resort Complex and the parking lot for Cheonjeyeon Falls, Hayeong is easy to find, even for first time visitors. The hilltop view and spacious dining area make it an ideal place for group tourists, family gatherings, or individual tourists.

Onion Rings

by machomikemd Updated Nov 12, 2008

Korean style onion ring, a bit spicy but is very tasty. it cost 1000 won a pack aand is available at 7-11's and any other korean convenience stores all around seoul. Can also be a bar cheap bar chow companion to beers in your hotel room for those on a budget.

good for bar chow can't get enough tipsy morning after hangover

Korean Style Charcoal Grill

by machomikemd Updated Nov 12, 2008

It is Big and they use Rounded, Big Charcoal Briquettes from hardwood which adds a smoky flavor to the sweet and spicy korean dishes that are popular. These kinds of Charcoal Grills are popular around Seoul and South Korea and can be seen everywhere!

I want to Roast more meats!

Korean Sushi- The Kimbap

by machomikemd Updated Nov 12, 2008

Kimbap is Like Japanese sushi but without the kikkoman soy soyce and wasabi. The Kimbap is the Korean Version and inside the seaweed wrapper are assorted veggies and imitation crabs and vinegared rice. it cost 3,000 won an order and is really tasty and filling!

Kimbap 1 Kimbap 2

Korean Glutinous Rice Cake

by machomikemd Updated Jul 23, 2008

Very Sweet! the outer layer is a crispy rice starch that melts in your mouth and the inside filling is like the sweetened crushed red mongo seeds found in chinese mooncakes! it costs 300 won a piece and is available everywhere.

Similar to Chinese Mooncake

Korean Red Rice

by machomikemd Updated Jul 23, 2008

Grown in Icheon County (which is popular rice growing region in south korea, Red Rice are short grain, weedy type of self propagating rice that are glutinous and is a favorite since it has more nutrients than the well polished white rice. It costs 2,000 won per order!

Tasty, Starchy, Glutinous