Relationships & Connections, Seoul

Know about this?

• A couple of close friends eat and walk in Insadong
    A couple of close friends eat and walk...
    by AKtravelers
    No, not the white ones!
    by kdoc13
  • kdoc13's Profile Photo

Dating Tip For Western Men.

by kdoc13 Written May 24, 2004

No, not the white ones!

Gentlemen, take my advice on this, never ever give a Korean Woman White Roses. I know, it seems a bit odd, but trust me. I once dated a Korean woman and thought I would give her flowers. The place I was buying them from were out of red roses, so I decided white would be nice. When I gave them to her, she broke them apart and threw them at my head in the middle of a busy airport.

It was only later that I learned that white roses are apparently for funerals, and giving them to a woman is not a good thing. Suk-Hee interpreted this as meaning I wanted her dead. Oops!

What I would do instead, make sure you know what type of flowers they like, if not go with a colorful bunch of them. Or better yet, skip the flowers and go with a small gift, if you know what they like.

• museberry's Profile Photo

No such thing as a short home visit in Korea...

by museberry Updated Dec 25, 2004

Korean hospitality is very demanding and quite exhausting for a Western guest but a highly enjoyable experience as many are eager to learn about us. Certain friends reading this will identify when I say that entering a Korean home is like going to Grandma's house. A short visit generally lasts no less than an hour and they don't understand the term "I have somewhere to be", whether or not you've already eaten prepare to eat more, and sometimes even more after that especially if your guests wish to practice English with you.

• museberry's Profile Photo

Dress to impress for Seoul winters

by museberry Updated Nov 25, 2005

On Korean fashion: One must at all times wear socks, major rule: never enter a home without socks to maintain the sanitation as you'll always need to remove your shoes in a tiny cramped entryway. Quite often at restaurants you may need to remove your shoes as well and stack them in a cubby.

Here image perception is number one on their minds and you'll never be able to tell a knock-off Louis Vuitton bag from the real thing.

Women here, outside of nightclubs, are dressed clear to the neck, but a funny thing, their skirts are so short that a small gust of wind would provide a full show, have been told that the difference is primarily that American women tend to be bustier so in having something to flaunt we do. Everywhere you go you'll see the school girl uniforms with plaid skirts.

Plaid, everybody here owns plaid.. and leather.. and apparently this season wearing both with faux fur topped snow boots is the rage.. and don't leave home without your fake handbag. Thus is winter in Seoul in the very least.

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Women hold hands in public

by AKtravelers Written Aug 14, 2004

A couple of close friends eat and walk in Insadong

It is very common for female friends to walk arm in arm or to hold hands while walking in public. This does not always require corn on a stick.

Instant Answers: Seoul