Ready for the Weather, Seoul

Know about this?

Rain coming!
    by Ewingjr98
  • The best views of the city are from the mountains
    The best views of the city are from the...
    by Ewingjr98
    Muddy, wet day at one of the palaces
  • A Down Jacket/Coat for Winter

by jlaw78s Updated Apr 22, 2011

Luggage and bags: Seoul is a shoppers nirvana catering to all budgets and tastes. If you have forgotten something make a beeline to E- Mart, a local, mid priced supermarket where you will find most things you need on your trip.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Seoul have cold but pleasantly sunny winters. Cotton jackets and coats are not suitable for the dry cold which will seep into your bones if you are not careful. Invest in a down coat or jacket and long johns. Once again, shopping in Seoul caters to all budgets and tastes- mid priced stores like Giordano, Uniqlo, Hang Ten, GAP will have all the seasonal essentials. If you love shopping visit Dongdaemun Market and pay Doota or APM stores a visit- these behemoth wholesale towers are great places to sharpen your bargaining skills!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I was feeling fluish after a couple of days and I pay the local chemist a visit. That particular chemist does not stock PANADOL. So make sure your have PARACETAMOL translated into Korean. Perhaps it might help the chemist assistant in selecting your flu/fever medications.

Photo Equipment: NA

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Ensure that your shoes are hardy and water proof if you are arriving during Winter.

Miscellaneous: Seriously, brush up on basic Korean- most Korean can speak broken English and most have PhD in sign language. They can point you to the right place. The complex Mass Transit System takes time to get used to but its an invaluable transportation option. It is DIRT cheap (make sure you get your 1 dollar refund at the end of your trip-all trips)

• Edith49's Profile Photo

Bitter cold

by Edith49 Updated Nov 9, 2006

Luggage and bags: I needed an extra bag to bring home all the things I bought in South Korea. I found things very inexpensive there and I bought quite a few souvenirs.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I visited in February and it was bitter, bitter cold. I live in the Pacific Northwest and our winters are relatively mild, so I froze my you know what off. Although my son told me it was cold, I was just not prepared for the reality of it and I had to buy a scarf and a hat and I wished I'd had my long johns, too!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: The only problem I really had is that I don't read Korean, so I was never sure what things were and I had a hard time finding hand lotion. Not sure why that was, but I eventually found some in the bus station of all places.

Photo Equipment: I was able to find film and batteries for my 35m and rechargeable batteries for my digital. I was unable to recharge my video camera however. And I couldn't view my pictures on my son's computer because the USB cables are different there or something like that - not my area of expertise, sorry.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I highly recommend sturdy walking shoes - there are stairs everywhere and if you do any of the temples or palaces, some of the grounds are quite extensive.

Miscellaneous: We rode the bus everywhere we went and both my son and I carried a paperback book with us to pass the time. I also took a map and a guidebook with me everywhere I went.

• Seniors

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Pack for Washington DC-like Weather

by AKtravelers Written Sep 18, 2004

A dance troupe readies its luggage at Kimpo

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Seoul's weather is almost identicle to Washington D.C.s, especially with respect to when the seasons change. The only major difference is the summer monsoon, which gives you much less sun than D.C. gets. Summer Days are hot and humid, and expect warm temperatures from May through September. Winter hits in December and holds on through March, and can be quite cold. The best time to visit Seoul is April/May or September/October

• Business Travel

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Umbrella, Warm Clothes, and Good Walking Shoes

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jun 27, 2004

Seoul Winter -- Jan 2004

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In most Asian countries, you won't get a good feel for the local culture and people unless you spend a lot of time walking. Seoul is no exception, so bring a good pair of walking shoes.

Winter in Seoul is relatively mild, but we do get our share of snow, especially in January.

July, August, and September are the wettest months of the year, so bring an umbrella.

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

WHAT TO BRING?

by kiwigal_1 Updated May 12, 2003

Palace Architecture

Luggage and bags: I have mainly used a small backpack or a carry-on size suitcase for my trips to Korea. When using the subway it is best to have a bag that is easy to carry up and down the stairs so I wouldn't recommend a large suitcase unless you are planning to get a taxi for your hotel-airport transfers.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: When I was in Korea in winter it was really cold! I bought a suitable jacket for a very reasonable price at Namdaemon Market so it wasn't necessary to bring one. You will also need a scarf, gloves and probably a hat too. In the spring the weather was very pleasant although it rained a little. A light jacket and an umbrella came in handy.
    Korea is a shoppers paradise and anything you need that you may have forgotten can be bought here.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Everything can be bought in Korea very cheap.

• School Holidays

• zito9's Profile Photo

Winter time....

by zito9 Written Feb 25, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In Winter, dress in layers. Get yourself some longjohns, sweaters and thick winter jackets. Scarf, gloves and something to cover your ears are also essential.
    Koreans are very stylish, thus u might also want to consider to bring some stylish outfits.

Miscellaneous: In Winter, the air is very dry. If you r staying in hotel, fill up your bathtub with water before you go to bed. It will help to increase the humidity in the air, and decrease the dryness in your throat.

• asiamom9's Profile Photo

by asiamom9 Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: We've taken all kinds of luggage and all have worked well.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It depends on what time of year you go!! We've been there in April, May and June... May/June it was hot, April we wore lightweight jackets... I have known many people there in the winter months and you must dress warmly! Being from a northern tier state, we're used to that anyway..

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Easily bought in Seoul...

• mignonne's Profile Photo

by mignonne Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: Normal luggages are good enough.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The other time I went there,it was winter.So,you have to bring your winter clothes,jackets,scafs,gloves.Heat packs would be a very useful accesorry in winter.It keeps you warm 24 hours.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Some moisturizing cream,shampoo,toothbrush,soap/shower foam...

• carstenj's Profile Photo

by carstenj Written Aug 24, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: September: It is warm and humid so pack light.
    October: Still warm but dry, can be chilly at night.
    November: The change to winer is imminent, so pack soem autumn clothes and perhaps an umbrella.
    December through March: Pack winter clothes. It doesn't rain much.

Instant Answers: Seoul