Namdaemun Market, Seoul

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 5 Reviews

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Namdaemun Markets

by angiebabe Updated Jan 13, 2008

salesman setting up rubber duckies for sale!

I need to find my information material to give the correct bus number that pretty much goes straight from the airport to here - but I found it best to go up the Nam San mountain first to get views from the TV tower and then down the cable car from there which arrives just a few minutes walk above these excellent markets.

And these markets were great - even if not buying anything - extremely colourful with loads of variety of stalls and goods for sale and heaps of signs and advertising everywhere with lots of shoppers - a great cultural and photogenic opportunity.

• Adventure Travel

• suhadis's Profile Photo

by suhadis Updated Jun 23, 2006

Located near Namdaemun (Great South Gate), this market is the second largest one next to Dongdaemun. There are lots of stores selling clothes, and accessories. You can find food, stationery, fake bags... On the weekend in Spring and Summer, it's extremely crowded. A good place to browse through if you are travelling to Myeongdong (Shopping area for the younger crowd) from Namdaemun (Gate). Be sure to price-haggle if you do not look like a Korean..

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

by victorwkf Written Sep 7, 2002

This is one of the main attractions in Seoul which has many streets which sells lots of items. As expected, it is very crowded but does not open on Sundays (be careful). Each street seems to specialize in selling certain items e.g. watches, women clothes etc.

• Buzzing market

by Tom81 Written Jun 26, 2012

Don't forget to take in a trip to Namdaemun market and also Myeong-Dong market. Even if you don't want to buy anything (believe me you will when you are there) it is a great place to take in the haggling that is going on, the various stalls and great food to try!

• Photography
    • Festivals

• Edith49's Profile Photo

by Edith49 Written Nov 9, 2006
    Namdaemun Market on Lunar New Year

This is the largest market in Seoul and is usually busy and teeming with people, but unfortunately for me I was there on the Lunar New Year, a National Holiday when people go to their hometown and the market was virtually deserted - a ghost town. It was very eerie. We did find some vendors open and I was able to buy a little birdhouse and that made me happy. I had a funny conversation with one of the vendors. I found that most Korean women are very tiny - I did not see any overweight women anywhere in my travels through Korea, but I'm an American woman, size 14, and I just looked at her pretty gowns and shook my head and showed her, "too small" and she pointed me to another section of her booth - off in a corner and said "bigger size - for you" - for some reason it just struck me very funny.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Seoul

Comments

Hotels Near Namdaemun Market
3.0 out of 5 stars