Taxies, Seoul

Know about this? Rate It!

• Taxies
  • Taxies
    Namdaemun from Seoul taxi
  • jburron's Profile Photo

Cheap Taxi to Incheon Airport

by jburron Written May 16, 2004

This has happened twice, so it may not be a coincidence (once to me, once to a friend of mine). There is limosine bus that goes from Hannan-Dong through Yeouido and on to Incheon Airport. I usually get it at the stop that is ourside the Kookmin Bank, across from the Korea Stock Exchange, near Yeouido Station (Line 5).

The last time I went there, though, I was approached by a Black/Deluxe Cab driver. I know the trip is 60-70,000 won (USD 50-60) so I passed, but he insisted...and the rate was 12,000 won (exactly that of the limobus!). The reason: he had a fare to pick up there and wanted to cut his costs.

The second time was recently. My friend and I were waiting and looking at the limobus's route in the shelter. A taxidriver approached...same story: 12,000 to the airport.

I can't sayt that it's happen to you, but if you get approached with a deal like this: take it! The driver has the meeter running the whole time (don't be alarmed) but you only pay 12,000. What a deal.

Your chariot awaits.

• xaver's Profile Photo

Honest

by xaver Written Oct 24, 2014

Taxis are actually not expensive as I thought they could be. Ofcourse if you take a taxi from Incheon aeroport to downtown expect to pay 100000 wong but it's 1 hour and half drive. I took taxis for short rides in the city, they always used meter and I never paid more than 10000 wong for a 10 minutes long taxi ride.

taxi

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Between Incheon Airport & Seoul

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 15, 2014

Do not take a Taxi from Incheon to Seoul unless you are in a hurry or have lots of extra money. There are frequent city buses to all parts of Seoul that only cost 12,000 won ($9) rather than 45,000 Won for a taxi (including the 7,000 Won toll). The buses go to many major hotels and tourist areas. If the bus doesn't go where you need to be, just take the bus to Seoul Station and take a local taxi (5,000 Won or less for most trips) or the subway (1150 Won within the city).

The buses also allow you to avoid the tolls! Toll Ticket

• seoulgirl's Profile Photo

taxies

by seoulgirl Updated Jan 17, 2006

Taxies are pretty cheap in Seoul. The black taxies are more expensive so take the silver/white ones. You hail the taxis by putting your arm out and down towards the ground and moving your hand by bending it at the wrist while keeping the fingers straight. There are alot of taxis so there is no problem getting one. Taxi drivers are hard to communicate with though. It will help if you have a business card with the address where you are going on it and the phone number. Give it to the driver and he will call the phone number and get directions. Very useful if you are going to a restaurant. Dial 1330 if you get really desperate. It's an English speaking help service.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Taxis in Seoul

by Ewingjr98 Written Apr 21, 2004

The easiest way to get around Seoul is by Taxi. They are everywhere, they are inexpensive, and the are safe. The gray taxis and white taxis are inexpensive, starting at 1,600 won. The black taxis are the luxury taxis, starting at 3,000 won.

Namdaemun from Seoul taxi Seoul taxi near the Han River

• Taxis'

by JDwernychuk Updated Mar 30, 2004

THe taxi's are really cheap here, they run off meters. Despite what people say of how they like to rip off Visiters becuase they have no clue were ther going becuase the city is so confusing. Even if you did get ripped off the fares are so cheap anyways. They do bump up the prices more at night. Also make sure your on the right side of the street before you get in the taxi. That lesson cost me the extra 2000 Won. I'm giving it to you for free.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Riding in a Taxi

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 21, 2014

Taxi Drivers in Busan (not necessarily in Seoul) want to be your tour guide and will slow down to show you things and/or take the longer way to your destination - the scenic route. I mention this because I don't know if the taxi drivers do this in Seoul. But more than likely, the do. You should indicate you want to get to your destination by the shortest route. The valet at your hotel could probably relay this message to the taxi driver for you because most taxi drivers do not or will not speak English.

Do not take photos while riding in a taxi. The taxi driver will stop so you can take your picture and all the while, the meter is still runing.

Have your destination written down in Korean (if possible) so you can show the taxi driver where you want to go. If you don't speak fluent Korean, there is a HUGE possibility the taxi driver doesn't understand you.

There is no tipping in South Korea. You do not have to tip the taxi driver.

• Seoul's Black Taxi

by sliyanaz Written Oct 17, 2012

Its true that there are many types of taxis in Seoul but one word of warning - do not take the black taxi! Ever! It is the most expensive taxi in Seoul according to my tour guide and is meant for business executives whose companies pay for it. So, bottom line..any taxi but the black one is fine. If you have trouble with telling them where to go, prepare a flash card with both the english and korean counterpart of important words i.e your hotel etc. Should be fine most of the time. I managed to get across where I wanted to go to my taxi driver from the airport. Lol.

• If you take a taxi & don't speak Korean

by kluk01 Updated Jul 9, 2007

Remember to get a business card of your hotel, or go to the internet to get the location map or direction of your destination in Hangul (Korean character). You just show it to the taxi driver and have him to call the telephone and ask for direction how to get there in their own language. I stayed inside the campus of Yonsei University, I have difficulty to make the taxi driver understand my exact location of going inside the campus. So I used the sign language to tell him to call the telephone no. to ask for the direction, it didn't miss any each time by doing so.

• Jhepner's Profile Photo

Taxis or subways?

by Jhepner Written Apr 14, 2004

The subways are great in Seoul if you can manage them. They are numbered from 1-8 and color coded for ease of use (though the colors often are so similar it gets confusing). You can buy per ride or buy 5000 or 10000 Won tickets. Your best bet is to buy a multi ticket, especially if you're staying more than one day. When looking at the subway map, make sure you note the transfer stations. There will be a "yin-yang" symbol on the map which means you can transfer. I missed a stop a number of times because it didn't stop where I thought it should have.
    Taxis are very cheap. DO NOT take a taxi that says it's a DELUXE taxi. Normal taxis start at 1600 Won. Deluxe automatically start at 4000. You do the math. The ride is the same either way. You'll usually find "deluxe" taxis outside "deluxe" hotels or offices.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Taxis are Expensive in Seoul

by machomikemd Updated Jul 22, 2008

There are three types of taxi available in Seoul, South Korea. General Taxis are colored silver gray and you can board them either from the taxi stops or flag one down by waving your hand at streets. An empty taxi can be identified by the red light at the front. The minimum fare starts from 1,900 won (caveat: most general taxi drivers don't speak english so it is better to hire a deluxe taxi). The fare then goes on increasing by 100 Won depending on the traveled distance and riding time. (you can see at the gps screen in front since all taxis have gps screens!)

Best Deluxe Taxi is another type of taxi. The taxis are distinguished from General Taxis by their color. Deluxe taxis have yellow caps on their black bodies and most drivers speak passable english that is why this is the most preferred taxi by foreigners. The basic fare starts from 3000 South Korean Won and goes on increasing by 200 Won depending on the distance traversed. Though a bit costly than General Taxis, they are much more comfortable and you can flag them down anywhere on the road.

Another type of taxi is Call Taxi. You can call a cab anywhere to pick you from by making a phone call. There is one advantage. If you do not speak Korean, you can call for a taxi fitted with interpretation facility. Green Call Taxi Company Number is (822) 366-340-50

With A Taxi Driver Me in A Taxi

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Airport Taxi

by machomikemd Updated Jul 22, 2008

There are two different types of taxis. One is medium-sized taxi and the other is deluxe taxi (black-colored). In case of the former, it will cost about 75,000 Korean Won from the airport to Seoul including toll fee (7,100 Korean Won) for the Incheon Airport Exressway. In case of deluxe taxi, it will cost about 95,000 Korean won including toll fee (7,100 Korean Won) which we took so it cost us (me and my friend) $ 52 each.

De Luxe Taxi has Satellite TV and GPS Screens Me at de lux taxi My Friend waiting where's the taxi?
    • Luxury Travel

• jimjongbok's Profile Photo

International taxi service in Seoul

by jimjongbok Written Apr 21, 2013

I am a taxi driver in Seoul. just 2 years experience since i got a certificate of international taxi drive in Seoul, I took mnay many forieners to where they wanted to go, hotel to airport, home to compny,ect...all passangers were so satisfaction to take my service, also complained about seoul taxi who don,t speak english.

taxi fare is no promblum to use a taxi at daytime but to use a taxi at midnight time at ietaaewon so much crazy strreeet so drunk keep drinking ...that,s your complaint that you are so drunk that u ask seoul taxi driver to go whre you want to go...hhhh..

then call me if you are so drunk so mixed then i be there as soon as i got your call
    don,t forget my number +82-10-9191-6552 or local mobile no. 010-9191-6552.

Tat's job of Taxi ..I am a service drive for drunk foriegners who alway like to drink so much.
    I am sober for more than ten years. No worry about a drunken driving...okk..

I am a fluent english speaker, too. also All alkie wordsthat i learned for morethan ten years
    is "don,t jaywalk just stop and be there".

Thank you who read all wrinting.

Kangnam style girl friend
    • Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• shavy's Profile Photo

Taxis are plentiful in Seoul

by shavy Written Mar 7, 2015

Arriving in Seoul after midnight, AREX train was terminated and the only option we have is airport taxi, but it was very expensive they ask for 75.000 won. So I said we'll going out to search our own taxi outside. Once we're out the building we saw the Limousine bus still waiting for passengers, we run to it. We're so lucky we could take the bus for 9.000 won each. Bus terminal in Seoul is still a distance to our hotel, so we still need a taxi to get to our hotel in Myeongdong

There were a lot of taxis outside bus terminal. I have our hotel reservation in my hand written in Korean, I show to the driver and he quote us for 25.000 won I said 15.000 and he said no, so we walk away. Suddenly he ran after us and said okay 10.000 won. I said to myself what?

I offer him 15.000 won and he don't want to accept it, and now he want only for 10.000 won. Without arguing we get to his taxi. We were laughing to his price. I think he didn't understand me correctly when I said 15.000 won. And now he only want 10.000 is not so bad to negotiate with them. Arrive to our hotel and the man behind desk asked how much we paid for taxi, I said 10.000 won, he said it was too much. It normally was 5.000 won only. Oh well, I said better luck next time

Seoul is huge city even though they have a extensive metro system, but outside there's a lot of taxis running. There are many types of taxis in Seoul. Standard taxis will be an orange or silver color while deluxe taxis are black with a yellow sign, and are more expensive than regular taxis but provide better and more comfortable service. Searching for taxi in never a problem, there are a lot of taxis in city.

For the most part, regular taxi cabs have leather interiors and the drivers are nice so, for many people, regular in Seoul might be deluxe. It is easy to hail a taxi any time of the day or night along any relatively major Seoul street with bright led lights in the front of the windshield to denote an available car or off if the car is taken.

You can call a deluxe taxi wherever you are by calling 3431-5100. Sometimes, you can find a visitor's guide taxi or an international taxis exclusively for foreigners, a kind of deluxe taxi, the drivers of which know English and can guide you around Seoul.

In general, taxi drivers do not speak English or any other foreign language, so have your destination written in Korean to show to the taxi driver. It is also wise to get your hotel's business card in case you get lost. Some may even reject looking at a map so whenever possible, have the location written in Korean.

The basic fare for regular taxis is, 3,000 won and 3,680 at night, with a surcharge of 100 won applied according to time and distance. International taxi drivers speak at least one foreign language (generally English) fluently. International taxis use the same basic fare as regular taxis, plus an additional 20%.

Most taxis accept credit cards and T-money cards and thus have a V-shaped orange card sign on the roof of the taxi by the front passenger seat window. However, drivers generally prefer that you pay cash, especially for short rides. As in any other city, there are some bad apples, and some drivers may take you the long way. Although the drivers often have a GPS device on the dashboard of their car, this is relatively meaningless if you do not know the area or cannot speak sufficient Korean to argue the point.

However, you will have no problem getting to a destination if you have an accurate address as no place in Korea is unreachable due to its immaculate GPS systems. In general, make sure the driver turns on the meter, get an idea of the cardinal direction of your destination (north, south, east, west), and use the interpretation service if you want to agree to a fare beforehand. Meters are standard in every taxi in Korea

Regular taxi
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

• midnight taxis in dongdaemun

by imsushi Written Apr 25, 2007

Dongdaemun is a great place to buy cheaps stuff like imitation bags , cool sunglasses and etc. it also has night market which consist so many small street stalls that sells really cheaps stuff and food. the thing is its open around 10pm until morning.

In case , you are going there to shop please take notes that some of the taxis didn't want to give u a ride if u live nearby..for example you are living in Seoul plaza hotel near Seoul city hall which is 20mins away or so..they simply asked you where u wanna to go and rudely denied you.

in some cases like mine, we went to buy a backpack in dongdaemun because its really cheap!~ my place is about 25mins , the bus stop around midnight as well as the subway. we had no other options but to get any taxi around there.At 2am, it was raining heavily and we couldn't get any taxis!!~ we have to walked 5km in wet clothes just to get a taxi . there were lots of people standing in the rain to get a taxi but the taxi drivers ignore them and went away...!!!

in case its happen to you..try buy any midnight movies at the mall nearby and wait until morning for the subway.
    that time we had 9am classes so we had to go home.

• Study Abroad