Kandy Restaurants

• Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Kandy

Cafe Aroma Inn: Cafe Aroma Inn

by jo104 Updated May 5, 2015

I visited this restaurant twice once for lunch and then for dinner they serve pretty large portions. I enjoyed the pasta dishes which can be a little difficult to find in sri lanka besides of course pizza hut. The staff are all smartly dressed and eager to serve it is all very clean and fresh. This is a place you can get proper cappucinos and espresso.

Prices are quite reasonable and I believe they have an inn attached to the restauarant it is really central and very close to the tooth temple.

Saqib, Albert & Roshan

• jo104's Profile Photo

HQ pub: Good for a beer and bites

by jo104 Written May 5, 2015

I have mixed feelings about Headquarters firstly the beer is very cheap and their bites food is also a reasonable price and I have frequented the pub on many occassions. It has a large open outside area with concrete tables and sometimes they screen cricket matches on the big screen outside.

The hot buttered mushrooms are tasty as is the battered cuttlefish. We used to always order the chicken with rice and vegetables however they seem to have taken this off the menu. They also used to have hamburgers on the menu which were awful and I am pleased to say they have removed this cause the patty was not a proper patty more like luncheon meat. I would not recommend the cabonara either.

It is not in the main town up from the bus station en route to anniwatte

guests sitting at outside tables

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Olde Empire Hotel: Cheap old fashioned

by lotharscheer Updated Apr 26, 2015

Convenient lokation for a break of temple sightseeing, but not so cheap and nice anymore.
    This used to be a nice old fashioned hotel / restaurant in need of some restoration work, with good and resonable food.
    They did now some restoration (mainly paintwork), but changed also their food concept. Now the cheapest and only local dish is rice with curry (not bad but expensive) the rest is western food like pasta, burger, salad, fish and chips....

Olde Empire Hotel Kandy Kandy Kandy Kandy
    • Architecture

The bread shop: Pastries and Cakes

by jo104 Written Apr 23, 2015

A nice place to stop for a cheap lunch or a mid day snack, or in my case to dodge the rain and use the toilet. They have a range of pastries and cakes, I loved the pizza and its all very reasonably priced. They also do freshly squeezed juice ask for without sugar. It is exceptionally clean with bright yellow decor. Order at the counter and they will bring to your table.

• Singles

The Meating Place: River view

by jo104 Updated Apr 23, 2015

Fergy and I tried this restaurant on the recommendation of my good friend and tuk tuk driver Toga, it was newly opened at the time and the owner was really well travelled and spoke english with an english twang. It was night time and the steep steps were not so brilliantly lit but I expect that has changed now. The view of the rushing river is just spectacular.

The food was delicious and plentiful we had battered vegetables with an amazing dipping sauce and a mixed platter of meats with fried rice.

Roots: Freshly squeezed juice

by jo104 Written Apr 23, 2015

When you fancy a lovely fresh squeezed juice on a hot day head for Roots inside the KCC shopping centre which is fully airconditioned. They serve a wide range of fruit combinations to have as a juice, or with icecream or curd and honey smoothie. I usually ask for no sugar to be added as Sri Lankan's have a super sweet tooth and add sugar to everything.

Roots is a little more expensive then other fruit bars but it is a recognised chain and you will find them at majestic city and Odels in Colombo amongst other places. The fruit is of a high quality and you can view them making your drink on the spot.

Ranro Restauarant: excellent value buffet

by jo104 Written Apr 23, 2015

This place is a little out of the way but super good value and I managed to dine here twice always hugely satisfied. They have a bar attached so you can get alcohol with your meal. Lunch time rice and curry was delicious and not oily at all. It was excellent value for money I cannot off the top of my head remember but it was a bargin.

Clean toilets and self service.

The Pub: Beer Terrace

by jo104 Updated Apr 23, 2015

Some people may think this is the only place in town to get a drink with their meal not quite correct but it is a popular place. There is a small terrace with tables for dining outside and you can enjoy a beer except not on Poya days and not at lunch times on Sundays.

In terms of drinks they are on the expensive side for a large bottle of Lion beer being 400 - 500 plus service, they do have draft beers. The service is slow which can be a bit annoying as it is not that big a restaurant but they kind of make it a thing to just ignore your cries for service. The food I must say is quite delicious I usually go for beef in a cave which is beef stroganoff served with pasta and vegetables. They do bits off the barbeque being kebabs served with potato, salad and garlic bread. The portions are large even enough for 2 not so hungry persons to share.

The location is upstairs above the Bake House they have music there but it seems to be a karaoke video that plays to old music whenever I have been but they have a big screen so I would think sports are shown also probably just cricket.

Update: There is a more classy restauarant sitting area at the back and a balcony area which has live entertainment on occassions

White House: White House

by jo104 Updated Mar 29, 2015

Downstairs is a rather nice bakery where you can get some pastries or cakes takeaway or sit down. They also do a reasonably priced local breakfast, I tried their thossai with sambal a favourite of mine with some pumpkin curry. I seem to remember they do icecream cones here also extremely welcome on hot days.

Upstairs is a modern restuarant where you can enjoy anything from western steak, chinese to Indian. Opening hours are from 8.30am to 11pm although in Kandy places shut early and I have never eaten here late. I ate upstairs once and I seem to remember the service being quite slow but that is not uncommon in Sri Lanka.

Very central and clean restaurant, the menu also shows a kids selection.

bakery section downstairs

Oakray Restuarant: Oakray restaurant not attached to the hotel

by jo104 Updated Mar 29, 2015

I visited this restaurant often when I lived in Kandy and was impressed with its cleaniness and variety of food. There are 3 different levels downstairs is a childrens play area. We ate on the second level and I was thrilled when they received their liquor licence, which is fairly hard to obtain in this religious citidal of Kandy.

Fergy and I visited to watch the ICC 20/20 cricket when South Africa were playing and they happily obliged with putting on the big screen telly in the bar area and keeping us topped up with cold beers. My favourite dish here was definetly the chicken with cashew nuts which was fairly spicy and to accompany it some vegetable fried noodles delicious. My least favourite was perhaps the pasta cabonara probably cause it just did not taste like what we have at home but it was filling and creamy non the less.

The staff are attentive, the decor is amazing in fact I can see this place being an excellent place for a nightclub. The food prices are reasonable and I would highly recommend Oakray as a place to eat although given it is a bit out of the main town.

devil cashew nut chicken & fried noodles

Bamboo Garden (slightly chilled lounge bar: Chinese but no garden

by jo104 Updated Mar 28, 2015

There is only a terraced area no actual garden at this restaurant but it has a fairly nice view and quite stylish. Finding licensed restaurants in kandy can be a bit hard to find so the ones that are usually are fairly busy with tourists.

We came to enjoy a few beers with Albert Kumar Rochet from solidestinations travel he runs Eco friendly tours and home stay accommodations for his guests and flys the humanitarian flag a lovely guy. The large beer bottles are about lkr400 so a bit expensive also you cannot get strong beer here.

We ordered a beef fried rice and chicken fried rice asked for soy sauce and chilli paste, it was tasty a bit small for lkr 550. Albert had a beef burger which thankfully was a homemade patty but not very well seasoned.

I did not feel the waiters English was brilliant he had to ask someone else to clarify what kind of burger patties it was this was also with the help of my Sri Lankan friend.

Open daily 11am to 11pm with no alcohol served on Poya (maybe in a teapot if you are lucky)

• Business Travel

Green Garden Cafe: Local food

by jo104 Updated Mar 19, 2015

This is a fantastic place to come for breakfast , lunch or dinner when you want to try local dishes. The rice and curry is available at lunch time only and will come in a takeaway box but you can dine in as well. I usually select the set meal of devil chicken, fried rice, sambol, boiled egg and vegetable chopcuey and then my friend takes the roast chicken, bryanni, pineapple and mango chutney, boiled egg for LKR 350 its super cheap.

All the food is very tasty, reasonably priced and clean. A rice and curry is below LKR200. Do leave a small tip for the staff. They have also added a juice bar do ask for no added sugar as locals love their sugar and personally I feel it takes away from the sweetness of the natural fruit.

You can also get a takeaway meals which we did fairly often and on a sunday lovely roast chicken with steamed beans and carrots

new juice bar

Royal cafe: Botanical Garden cafe

by jo104 Updated Mar 19, 2015

The atmosphere is quite nice located on the side of the big circle where the Javan fig tree is the main attraction being the largest tree sort of like an umbrella. This is run by the Royal Mall group I cannot comment on the food as we did not eat here. They offer a rice and curry buffet which includes soup and dessert coffee tea for lkr800 or menu items for about lkr700 including a soup and dessert. The buffet looked a little tired but then it was later in the day around 2.45pm. They had roast beef on the menu which was rather interesting.

Anyway we had a sit down and ordered some cokes and a pineapple juice, the cokes were an expensive lkr180 and the pineapple juice looked to be more froth in a smallish glass so not what I would have expected from a high establishment.

I took my American friend Dennis to the botanical gardens and we ordered the roast which was a welcome change to sri lankan food pleasently suprised.

There is indoor and outdoor seating and clean toilets.

Dennis must see orchid collection
    • Seniors
    • Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

Empire Cafe: Trendy cafe for real coffee or healthy lunch

by jo104 Written Mar 16, 2015

Stumbling across the Empire Cafe was like a dream come true for me whilst living in Kandy, don't get me wrong I love local food but who can resist a bit of real coffee and decadent muffins. The manager was very attentive and I enjoyed top service. I chose a seat on the veranda looking onto the Temple of the Tooth Square where the flower sellers are selling beautiful lilies and flower offerings for Lord Buddha.

For Breakfast this is where you can get a healthy choice, bacon and eggs or even pancakes. A delectable range of smoothies such as Strawberry & Cinnamon, Jaggery & Cardamon, Mango, Passion Fruit & Lime and Coconut, Treacle & Banana. I enjoyed a healthy wrap which was delicious and reasonably priced my only wish was that it was served with wedges instead of vegetable crisps.

The decor inside is lovely with peacock chairs it lends itself to modern romance even though it is set in a historic hotel.

yummy smoothie & wrap manager at the time on the terrace peacock chairs inside decor

Natural Coffee: Real Coffee

by jo104 Written Mar 16, 2015

This small coffee shop in Kandy claims the rebirth of coffee in this country after all prior to Ceylon being a tea producing country coffee and tobacco were prominent.
    I have enjoyed both and iced espresso banana as well as a natural coffee served in a plunger style.
    At LKR400 I found it a bit pricey this equates to GBP2 or USD3 far too expensive for Sri Lanka. The place itself is set on 2 levels and is very clean with good toilets.

Instant Answers: Kandy

Comments

Kandy Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kandy restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kandy sightseeing.