Kandy Restaurants

• mafi_moya's Profile Photo

The Pub

by mafi_moya Updated Nov 13, 2003

Monkeys will eat anything

The Pub is Kandy's tourist hangout - similar to bars you find in Southeast Asia. There's even a wall with names and messages of visitors written on it and outside there's a sign with the infamous words: 'as recommended by Lonely Planet'. It's nothing special but nice enough and although not cheap, nor is it overly expensive. The food's generally pretty good and is mainly a mix of international dishes. The main restaurant/bar is quite smart (a good place to get a special giant glass of beer and watch the cricket on the big screen), but outside there are a few tables on the balcony overlooking Kandy high street. You're above the noise and chaos and it's a good place to watch the world go by and meet other tourists - but get there early as the balcony fills up quickly at night time.

• mafi_moya's Profile Photo

The cashew nut girls

by mafi_moya Written Nov 4, 2003

Not actually in Kandy but found on the Kandy road between here and Colombo, the cashew nut girls are a bit of a legend among Sri Lankan men. From wooden huts at the side of the road, the mostly young and very attractive girls sexily wave their bags of cashews at cars passing by, smiling and flirting with anyone who looks remotely interested. Dressed up in brightly coloured dresses, as though they're going out for the night rather than selling nuts, they make quite a bizarre and welcome sight! Some of the girls supplement their incomes by offering, err, 'other services' to passing drivers, but most stick to good-natured flirting, batting their eyelashes and big smiles.

The Kandy Road is also good for picking up pineapples and king coconuts along the way. The sellers are happy to chop it all up for you. Beware though, you'll pass about 20 stalls all selling the same thing right next to each other and then you won't see another one for an hour.

Favorite Dish: The pineapples for the taste, but the cashew nuts definitely have the best service!

Green New: Tasty takeaway

by jo104 Written Jan 27, 2014

egg fried rice & chicken salad

Only 10-15min walk from the train station is the delightful green new café well its more of a catering place although there is a table and few chairs inside. So takeaway it is and they really do make delicious food. Two brothers work here and they are always smiling and eager to please. My standard request is for chicken salad and egg fried rice so tasty and really reasonably priced this will feed 2 people for LKR450. Other dishes I have tried have been equally yummy fried or devilled mushrooms, devilled chicken and chopcuey.

They are very presentable young men and their shop is extremely clean full marks for takeaway.

Green Garden Cafe: Local food

by jo104 Written Jan 27, 2014

This is a fantastic place to come for breakfast , lunch or dinner when you want to try local dishes. The rice and curry is available at lunch time only and will come in a takeaway box but you can dine in as well. I usually select the set meal of devil chicken, fried rice, sambol, boiled egg and vegetable chopcuey and then my friend takes the roast chicken, bryanni, pineapple and mango chutney, boiled egg for LKR 350 its super cheap.

All the food is very tasty, reasonably priced and clean. A rice and curry is below LKR200. Do leave a small tip for the staff.

Royal Mall Food Court: Food Court

by jo104 Written Jan 29, 2014

devil chicken & veg chopceuy

There are several chains of Royal Mall in kandy the food is designed for takeaway but at this establishment there is also a food court.

We both ate from the set menu for LKR600 and enjoyed a dinner of vegetable fried rice with a spicy deviled chicken, fried egg (which was a bit rubbery) vegetable chocuey and chilli paste. A very acceptable meal. They have a restaurant that serves liquor but you will pay more for the same menu and it upstairs dining. The courtyard has its own little royal mall supermarket and other shops.

Be careful in the parking lot as I almost got mowed down by a white van man.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

The Bake House: Cheap, good local food

by PierreZA Written Jan 4, 2010

The Bake House

According to the Lonely Planet, The Bake House only has counter-service of pastries etc. But, there is actually a restaurant if you go inside.
    It seems to be very popular with locals. I had the best mango juice ever here - it was like putting a straw into a mango!
    They have several local dishes.
    Like in most places in Sri Lanka, service was very friendly.

Favorite Dish: Devilled chicken - (It is quite HOT, but great!)

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Hotel Suisse Restaurant: dining in a ballroom

by call_me_rhia Written Dec 4, 2004

flamb�� please

When we first arrived in Kandy our room was not yet ready, and it was lunchtime, so we decided to have something to eat in the hotel's restaurant before settling down and going out to explore the town. We found the restaurant located in the old ballroom. Impressive.

Favorite Dish: The food turned out delicious: on the menu there were both wester and Sri Lankan dishes, including some flambé dishes and desserts, which we obviously had to taste. As everywhere in Sri Lanka, there was also a (neglectable) buffet.

• cazz38's Profile Photo

THE LION BEER IS GREAT

by cazz38 Updated Mar 22, 2005

%fa%s4%crKANDY TOWN%f*%s*%c*

There are lots of places to eat in Kandy,mostly in the Town center,in the main Town you will pay the same as the locals,also the lion beer is really nice as well. Alot of the places to eat normally have a price list outside.

Kandy Muslim Hotel: Cheese Kottu & Roast chicken

by jo104 Written Jan 25, 2014

Upstairs is the dining area and downstairs you can order takeaway roti or short eats.
    They close reasonably early in the evening and quite often run out of foods so do go early if its dinner you are after.
    I went for lunch and ordered beef macaroni as my friend is not too partial to beef and we are always eating chicken, I must say it was delicious and a great portion. After that we have had many takeaways of roasted chicken and chicken palandi curry which is fairly mild.
    The prices are incredibly reasonable and its clean and friendly service.

Favorite Dish: Their roast chicken cheese roti is very tasty but normal chicken should be just as great.

Mahaweli Reach Hotel: Mahaweli magic

by jo104 Written Jan 25, 2014

Christmas is not especially celebrated in Kandy not to mention that on the actual day you can’t get a drink anywhere. I opted to enjoy the celebrations on Christmas eve at the Mahaweli Reach hotel and I must say was not disappointed at all.

As it was a special evening our meal cost Rs4000 a head net with a bottle of wine being almost as much (wine is expensive in sri lanka) We were seated on the outside terrace near the fishpond all prettily lit up, treated to a band, Christmas carols and santa claus even gave us all gifts I got a box of mackwoods tea and my date got a 50ml shot of international booze in a little bottle.

The food was unbelievably good we started with salads and cold meats and yes they even had non processed cheeses wow I went mad. There was a good range of sushi & seafood although its not quite my thing. After 2 rounds of starters and worrying I had eaten a roll too many we decided it was time for the main affair. The carvery selection had beef, lamb, gammon, turkey and duck surprisingly no chicken but who cared it was all so tasty. I wish I had space for round 2 but sadly the 7 tables of desserts awaited us. Bon Bons, Christmas cake, mince pies, strudel, fruit salad, pettit fours, French fancies, mousses, lemon meraingue, shot glasses of tasty treats, trifle and more and more we never even got to sample the crepes and icecream.

We plan to visit again soon I believe the usual buffet is around Rs2200 to Rs2500 per head. This time I will starve myself all day.

• Luxury Travel

The Pub: Beer Terrace

by jo104 Written Jan 27, 2014

Some people may think this is the only place in town to get a drink with their meal not quite correct but it is a popular place. There is a small terrace with tables for dining outside and you can enjoy a beer except not on Poya days and not at lunch times on Sundays.

In terms of drinks they are on the expensive side for a large bottle of Lion beer being 400 - 500 plus service, they do have draft beers. The service is slow which can be a bit annoying as it is not that big a restaurant but they kind of make it a thing to just ignore your cries for service. The food I must say is quite delicious I usually go for beef in a cave which is beef stroganoff served with pasta and vegetables. They do bits off the barbeque being kebabs served with potato, salad and garlic bread. The portions are large even enough for 2 not so hungry persons to share.

The location is upstairs above the Bake House they have music there but it seems to be a karaoke video that plays to old music whenever I have been but they have a big screen so I would think sports are shown also probably just cricket.

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

Paiva's Restaurant: Good north indian and fushion chinese food

by Sambawalk Written Feb 16, 2006

I like this restaurant so much that I went back for 2 nites. The prices is very reasonable. Chicken tikka Rs200 with a piece of nan, Lion Lager Rs140, nan Rs60. Masala curry Rs90. A very good dinner costs with 2-3 dishes witrh beer abot Rs500.

It is clean and quiet on the 2nd floor. See more pics of the food.

Royal cafe: Botanical Garden cafe

by jo104 Written Feb 23, 2014

The atmosphere is quite nice located on the side of the big circle where the Javan fig tree is the main attraction being the largest tree sort of like an umbrella. This is run by the Royal Mall group I cannot comment on the food as we did not eat here. They offer a rice and curry buffet which includes soup and dessert coffee tea for lkr800 or menu items for about lkr700 including a soup and dessert. The buffet looked a little tired but then it was later in the day around 2.45pm. They had roast beef on the menu which was rather interesting.

Anyway we had a sit down and ordered some cokes and a pineapple juice, the cokes were an expensive lkr180 and the pineapple juice looked to be more froth in a smallish glass so not what I would have expected from a high establishment.

There is indoor and outdoor seating and clean toilets.

• Seniors
    • Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the Pub: a pub - not a pub

by call_me_rhia Written Dec 4, 2004

a table at the pub

I'm still not sure if the Pub is really a pub or a place to eat. There did not seem to be too many special beers to justify it as a watering hole, and to be honest all the people who were there were more interested in their food than in their drinks. Still the decor was pretty nice.

Favorite Dish: We had some italian food - pasta alla carbonara - which was definitely more than overcooked. We also had some kebabs - spicy as hell - far from the real thing. What can I say' i was less than impressed - and service was extremely slow.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

DJ's: Good Local Rice and Curry

by PierreZA Written Jan 4, 2010

My 3-wheeler guide and driver reccomended this very nice restaurant.
    It is a bit out of town, situated next to Wedamedura Auyerveda.

I had a very good Rice and curry with chicken, at reasonable prices and good service. I can recommend this restaurant anytime!

Remember when ordering Rice with Curry, you get about 6 side dishes as well - so it quite a big meal!

The waiter took time to explain each dish to me.

Worth going there!

Favorite Dish: Rice and Curry

Instant Answers: Kandy

Comments

Kandy Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kandy restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kandy sightseeing.