Sigiriya Warnings and Dangers

by shawnbrito
    Hornet warning signs
    by shawnbrito
  • injured monkey on pile of bricks, Lion Rock
    injured monkey on pile of bricks, Lion...
    by trisanna

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Sigiriya

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

I Helped You?

by thelittlevoice Written May 10, 2004

At Sigiriya Rock Fortress, there would be some guys walking with you. Try to get rid of them as soon as you can unless you need a little help and pay more than you should. I was with a bunch of oldies so they were quite sure they would get to help someone. I wasn't tired walking at all but when I was about to reach the paintings area, I couldn't breathe and I thought for the first time, I would know what it would be like to faint. It was because those guys smell really bad. One of them saw the opportunity to help me and he came forward. He did nothing but made me harder to breathe, I did not need another stinky guy near me. I told him to get away but he still followed and when I got back down to the bus, he needed "some money" because "he helped me". No I didn't give him anything. I would be better off alone.

One of the aunties dropped her shoe a few steps back and one guy came down to get it. He wanted 300 Rupees just for that!

• jennifermueller's Profile Photo

There are a lot of stairs.

by jennifermueller Written Jan 16, 2004

Carry water and dress appropriately for the weather.

This is one of the few historic sites in Sri Lanka where you can wear whatever you like. The locals climb the rock in flip flops but you should wear comfortable shoes. The terrain isn't that tough - just lots, and lots of steps.

The sun is pretty fierce, so sunblock is essential. I recommend a hat and lightweight, but protective clothing.

Sigiriya steps

• yumiyun's Profile Photo

Gushing wind

by yumiyun Written Dec 17, 2003

Well, it is kind of warning against natural force - whilst you are climing the rock at Sigiriya, the wind can be really strong. Towards the top, the stair case becomes very narrow and iron stairs seems almost shaking when the wind blows so high up. If you are afraid of height, be prepared. Coming back down can be even worse.

• Mountain Climbing

• shawnbrito's Profile Photo

Hornets and Kids :))

by shawnbrito Written Mar 10, 2009

Climbing the Sigirya Rock was not an easy task as it initially apeared to my punny interlect. The steep rocky steps proved that I needed to work out more often as I gathered all my streangth climbing the steep stairs.
    A Word of Caution: There are Hornets at the half way point and should not be disturbed. If you find yourself amongst the crowd of travellers, I suggest you keep ample distance between yourself and the other pilgrims (a some hyperactive kids) to reduce a chance of attack.

Hornet Nest Hornet warning signs

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

hornet attacks...

by call_me_rhia Written Dec 17, 2004

"Hornet"... a large stinging paper wasp, says my dictionary. And to think I had always believed it to be a bird.
    "Noise may provoke hornets attack" says this sign, and many others in Sigiriya; and yet, not one hornet in sight. My feeling is that the monument's supervisor wanted people to show respect to this monument, and conjured up the hornet idea to ahieve it. Maybe I'm just wrong, though...

hornets????

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo

Falling Rock

by freya_heaven Written Apr 13, 2004

As mentioned in my Wasp Nest tip, Sigiriya gets VERY busy, Peter our guide told us a story of a child who's head had been split open from a thrown or fallen rock from the very top of the rock. Sadly the child died. It is believed that the rock had been thrown, but no one was every caught as it was so busy.

Top of Sigiriya

• jenpud's Profile Photo

"Helpers"

by jenpud Written Jun 13, 2006

Beware of guys "helping" you up the steps - whether you want them to or not. I was with a Kuoni guide in a group of 7 and, being fairly fit anyway, was able to shake my "helper" off most of the time but he was doggedly persistent, trailed me the whole time repeating the information given by our guide and then blatantly asked me for money! My friend having a slightly dodgy knee, wasn't so successful in keeping them at bay and ended up with one on each arm - I think as the only single women in the group we were probably seen as the easy targets. Not having wanted this man's attention, I'm afraid I declined to pay anything and had to be quite rude and dismissive to try and get rid of him. Anyone slightly unsteady on their feet may welcome the assistance but in fact, the most precarious parts of the ascent only have room for 1 person at a time in any event - the reassurance of someone watching out for you may be helpful though.

• trisanna's Profile Photo

watch out for hornets

by trisanna Written May 16, 2005

When you are walking up Lion Rock, you will pass through some large rock structures. In some areas, you will see signs warning of hornets. It's important to be quiet while passing by or under these structures. You can see the hornet nests. They don't seem to come near the path, so it's something you don't have to worry too much about. Just be quiet.

hornets, Lion Rock

• trisanna's Profile Photo

Watch out for monkeys

by trisanna Written May 16, 2005

All over this site there are monkeys. They are harmless if you don't provoke them. All they want is food, but it's important not to feed them, since it makes them aggressive.

injured monkey on pile of bricks, Lion Rock

Instant Answers: Sigiriya

Comments

Sigiriya Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Sigiriya warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sigiriya sightseeing.