Ella Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Ella

nescoffee bar: cafe chill

by jo104 Updated Dec 28, 2012

During my 4 days I stayed in Ella I spent everyday chilling at the Nescoffee bar which is now being rebranded as Cafe Chill. Downstairs is a juice and cocktail bar with funky seating whee you can enjoy a smoothie or a tasty margaritta. The terraced area is ideal for people watching and it is here where you can surf the net on high speed wifi or use one of the terminals.

Upstairs is a further chill out area with beanbags relax here for sundowners and do some star gazing into the evening cause this is indeed the one place in Ella that does not close early .

The restaurant has an open kitchen always a plus when you dine as it is kept super clean and the chefs are well very cheffy!

The staff are very helpful but the person who makes this place is the owner and manager Dash he is the kind of guy who goes out of his way to make sure you have the best possible visit to Ella. He has many connections with the village and can arrange bike hire and much more.

If you are looking for a funky yet chilled out vibe then this is the place to be.

• Singles

Dream Cafe: Pizza

by jo104 Written Dec 23, 2012

I stayed at the guesthouse for 2 nights and as well as enjoying my breakfast here I also had dinner one evening. I opted for one of their pizza's which is cooked on a wood burning fire and is by far the most delicious pizza I have tasted in Sri Lanka it is cooked thin base like the Italians like it. It was rather large but I guiltily gobbled the whole thing down aided of course by a lion lager.

The dining area is set in a garden terraced area magically lit with fairy lights making this a charming and romantic place for an evening meal.

For breakfasts they serve a European menu with fresh fruit juice and best of all they have a coffee machine so you can enjoy a cuppachino or expresso.

Ella Village Restaurant: Rice and Curry

by jo104 Updated Dec 23, 2012

I visited this ou restaurant on a stormy evening and was well pleased I did what a warm welcome I received from the owner who is also the cook. It is a small family run business and the owner is also the cook, everything is freshly prepared.

A good rice & curry takes a bit of time to prepare and it is a good idea to place your order an hour or so in advance for when you wish to eat, but if you just turn up you will still be able to enjoy a delicious meal.

The rice & potato comes wrapped in a banana leaf and then the other dishes in little separate bowls. I asked specially for the famous garlic curry and then also chicken curry. It was accompanied by aubergine, pappadum, plantain (banana), pol sambal, beans and dahl with a mango chutney.

All the dishes were excellent and as it was a quiet evening I invited Mr Nadun to sit with me and we had a great chat. He also has 4 rooms a stone throw away from the restaurant called Aurora Bungolow.

I was so full I never got to try the banana and honey fritters other guests rave about so if you do go remember to order these and make me jealous!

Down town Roti Hut: Roti

by jo104 Updated Dec 22, 2012

A small little cafe style roti hut, all fronted with glass and you can watch your food being prepared right in front of your very eyes. I enjoyed Paratha (thin roti) with a beef curry the first time I visited. They also do roti rolls speciality unusual fillings like cheese, honey and banana.
    They serve kottu roti which is a Tamil dish which is chopped roti mixed with egg, vegetable and any meat you desire and then listen to the clang clang sound of the blades preparing your food.

I did want to try the hoppers on the morning that I departed but unfortunately, for a small village where people get up early to start walks before the mist sets in, breakfast service starts a bit late I was told 8am availability.

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

???: Local restaurant

by Sambawalk Written Feb 23, 2006

I had my lunch at this restaurant next to the telecom shop. Name?? I forgot. The fried rice with fish curry costs Rs200. Coke Rs40. Take note that it takes a long time for preparation of Sri Lanka food. For this dish, it took 25 mins to prepare.

Instant Answers: Ella

Comments

Ella Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ella restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ella sightseeing.