Galle Local Customs

  • Cricket outside the Fort
    Cricket outside the Fort
    by PierreZA
  • Local Customs
    by alycat
  • Villa facing the sea
    Villa facing the sea
    by alycat

Most Recent Local Customs in Galle

  • PierreZA's Profile Photo

    Cricket

    by PierreZA Written Jan 24, 2010
    Cricket outside the Fort

    Cricket is a passion in Sri Lanka.
    At sunset, a few local guys were playing a match on the open field between the Fort and Butterfly Bridge.

    It was nice to be able to chat to the locals. They are very knowledgable about the game and knew most of the South African players.

    It was a very nice hour during my visit to Galle.

    Was this review helpful?

  • alycat's Profile Photo

    Foriegners In Galle

    by alycat Written Feb 3, 2007
    Villa facing the sea

    Since 1998 local owners of Dutch colonial period houses numbering over 300, have sold at least to 30 to foreigners. The high purchasing power of the buyers, the lack of funds by the residence to renovate their houses to the approved historical standards and changing economy circumstances that see key members of family working outside Galle had let to these changes.

    A local dealer revealed that he offers his foreign buyers a package which includes re-construction & management of the property. The highest value sale in Galle fort was reported to be 20 million Rupees, with a sea view.

    Related to:
    • Luxury Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • alycat's Profile Photo

    Muslims in Galle Fort

    by alycat Written Feb 3, 2007

    Muslim community accounts for 80 % of Galle fort's population, while the majority sinahlese community account for the remaining 20 %

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Charlie_UK's Profile Photo

    Music and flags

    by Charlie_UK Updated Jan 11, 2004
    Flag day at the cricket

    Locals love to create a bit of atmosphere at sporting events, with brass instruments and drums accompanying the flag waving. Of course, they love it when visitors join in.

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Galle

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

110 travelers online now

Comments

Galle Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Galle local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Galle sightseeing.

View all Galle hotels