Galle Off The Beaten Path

by planxty
  • Fish stall, Galle, Sri Lanka.Galle, Sri Lanka.
    Fish stall, Galle, Sri Lanka.Galle, Sri...

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Galle

• planxty's Profile Photo

So close to home.

by planxty Updated Mar 12, 2014

Vessel, Galle, Sri Lanka.

I was wandering along past the small fishing harbour in Galle one day when my eye, for some inexplicable reason was drawn to a particular boat which you can see in the main image here. Along the side, printed big and bold, was the legend "Larne Grammar School". Well, I know Larne G.S., I used to play rugby against them as a schoolboy. I looked more closely at the boat and saw a Latin motto also printed on it. I have subsequently checked and it is, indeed, the motto of that school.

All this prompted my interest and so I had a closer look and found another vessel displaying the name Dunboyne Senior Primary School, which I have found out is in the County of Meath in the Republic of Ireland. My best guess is that these vessels were purchased with funding from charity raising in the respective schools following the appalling tsunami of 2004. I don't like to keep harking on about it but that natural disaster was such a huge and devastating event in these parts that it is impossible to ignore.

I found another vessel named Ireland;s Ulster Canal, a place I love and have written about it here. Regrettably, it looked like it had not seen the water for a while nor was likely to any time soon. I am still heartened by the fact that my countrymen made the effort.

Certainly, I realise that this is only gong to be of very limited interest to readers of VT but I thought I should include it. If the provenance of the boats does not interest you overly, you can always stop to have a look at the small fish market (the main one is on the other side of town) and you might even be lucky enough to meet my mate the ginger tea seller (also pictured). I can promise you it is some of the finest ginger tea you will ever drink despite being served from a thermos flask in a flimsy plastic cup from a rickety old bicycle. Pure Heaven, I recommend it and at 30 rupees it is certainly not a luxury item!

• Photography

• Charlie_UK's Profile Photo

The Sydney hotel

by Charlie_UK Updated Jan 6, 2004

This is the place for a true Indiana Jones experience: A dingy bar with most of the lights not working, infested with rabid kittens and cursed with a failed fridge that keeps the Lion Beer warm. But the ultimate part of the adventure is visiting the toilet. Do not venture forth without a toilet roll, and beware the seat does not come off. Be shocked by the tiny barred window which makes the cubicle resemble a prison cell. Curse the intense heat and humidity in there, and gasp in horror at the lack of a flush and warm water. When running away from the toilet of doom, don't tread too heavily on the dingy staircase lest it fall through. Expect the wall to part and a skeleton with a snake in it's mouth and a spear through it's skull to fall out.

There is another section of the hotel which is clean, well lit, presentable and does a cheap and well acclaimed curry, but don't count how many kittens are left in the place when you've had it.

• Adventure Travel

• alycat's Profile Photo

Take a walk

by alycat Written Jan 24, 2007

Post box - the loner

On a sunny day, well almost all days are sunny here I guess, put on your cap, take a cam in hand and go walking in Fort Galle. The fort area has amazing architecture and sights to capture.

This pic taken of the post box seemed interesting contrast of colors. The post box, standing alone and vibrant, a relic from colonial times, and still serves the purpose.

• Archeology
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Galle

Comments

Galle Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Galle off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Galle sightseeing.