Hikkaduwa Restaurants

Dasu's Hut restaurant, Hikkaduwa
  • Upstairs dining room at Dasu's Hut, Hikkaduwa
    Upstairs dining room at Dasu's Hut,...
  • Sri Lankan breakfast at Dasu's Hut, Hikkaduwa
    Sri Lankan breakfast at Dasu's Hut,...

Best Rated Restaurants in Hikkaduwa

• alycat's Profile Photo

Poseidon Diving Station: Sea and surf

by alycat Written Jan 1, 2007

Poseidon Restro

Poseidon Diving Station has a restaurant open for all. The restaurant serves a variety of food, from breakfast and beach snacks to European and Sri Lankan meals.

I did my the late breakfast and lazy lunches here, and the food and service was A1.

• Sky Diving
    • Water Sports
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• planxty's Profile Photo

Parrot's Paradise: A decent, friendly little beach place.

by planxty Written Mar 13, 2014

Parrots Paradise, Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka.

I don't normally eat during the day, especially in the heat of a near equatorial sun as you get in Sri Lanka in January, but for some reason I found myself fancying a snack lunch when I visited Hikkaduwa and wandered into this place which proved to be an excellent choice.

I was welcomed in by the delightful manager and shown to a table by the beach, which I must say I find over-rated, but it is pleasant enough. I was not sure about the availability of beer here as places differ in Sri Lanka and so I ordered and EGB purely out of curiosity. I had seen advertising posters carrying the slogan, "No EGB, no food" which I thought was rather an extravagant claim and so I thought I'd give it a go. What it turned out to be was Elephant Ginger Beer and I have become rather fond of it, it really is delicious. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get good ginger beer in the UK so this was a treat in itself.

The menu was provided and I opted for the beef rotti (pictured) and with the usual question of whether I wanted it spicy or not. Well, I do like spicy food so that was easily answered and chef certainly did not disappoint as it was verging on the volcanicand great stuff. Obviously, they will make you a tamer version if an almost suicidally amount of chilli is not your gig.

A further examination of the menu indicates that they offer all the usual standards like Western or Sri Lankan breakfast, jaffles (toasted sandwiches), deviled dishes, fried rice, various "mains" which feature seafood and fish heavily as you would expect and an extensive range of desserts.

There is not much more to say about Parrot's Place really and I still do not know if that is a nickname of the owner of if the birds of that species actually frequent this bar! Incidentally, if you do fancy a beer, you can get one here as I subsequently found out.

At 300 rupees for the rotti it was certainly not overpriced.

This is a very pleasant little beachfront eating joint on a strip probably over-subscribed with them and I recommend it.

Favorite Dish: I only had a snack of a spicy beef rotti as described and it was excellently done, very tasty and as spicy as I had asked for.

• Beer Tasting

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Dasu's Hut: Sri Lankan breakfast on Galle Road

by SWFC_Fan Written Apr 9, 2014

Dasu's Hut restaurant, Hikkaduwa

We ate at Dasu's Hut on our first morning in Hikkaduwa in March 2014.

We had just walked along the beach for the first time and were ready for a late breakfast. Dasu's Hut looked like an inviting place to eat with its upstairs terrace looking out over busy Galle Road.

We were met by the owner and shown to an upstairs table (at our request). We had the entire dining room to ourselves. We had hoped that the dining room would be cool and breezy (it looked that way from the outside and we were struggling to acclimatise to the heat), but it wasn't particularly. Only one of the ceiling fans was turned on and it was having little effect in the stiflingly hot conditions.

This would be our first experience with a Sri Lankan menu and we were impressed by the wide choice of dishes available. As well as the ubiquitous curry and rice (we'd be eating plenty of that during our stay!), there was a wide choice of meat dishes (chicken, pork, sausages, meatballs...) and seafood options (prawns, fish, lobster, calamari). There were also plenty of lighter options; various soups (fish, tomato, prawn, onion, garlic...), toasted sandwiches, sweet and savoury pancakes, salads, omelettes, rice and noodle dishes.

The friendly owner engaged us in conversation. He recommended local sights for us to see, lent us a Galle travel guide to read while we waited for our food and recommended that we visit the Hikkaduwa Sunday Market after our meal (we did...and we were grateful for the recommendation). He gave us a business card in case we wanted to book any excursions through his company.

Even before entering the restaurant I had decided that I wanted to sample a Sri Lankan breakfast, so that is what I ordered:

Sri Lankan Breakfast - 525 Rs. (£2.60)

This consisted of:

A glass of fruit juice or plate of fresh fruit;
    Tea or coffee;
    Roti, bread or string hoppers;
    Choice of curry (chicken, beef, fish or vegetables).

I opted for a glass of freshly squeezed pineapple juice and a pot of tea. The pineapple juice wasn't as cool and refreshing as I had hoped for; it really could have done with some ice in it.

I really wanted to sample the string hoppers (a sort of steamed flour dough squeezed into noodle shapes), but for some reason that I didn't understand it transpired that I would have to have rotis instead. I noticed on another restaurant's menu that anybody wanting to order string hoppers had to give a day's notice, so perhaps that was the reason I couldn't have them.

I received two round rotis; pieces of flat bread with a thin layer of coconut inside them. They were particularly nice when dipped into the accompanying curry, but would have been a bit plain on their own.

I chose the fish curry. It was quite spicy and contained green chilli peppers and various leaves and spices. There were a few sizeable chunks of flaky white fish and a handful of fairly large bones in it. I enjoyed it.

Emma opted for a pancake from the dessert section of the menu:

Pol Pancake (Coconut) - 250 Rs. (£1.20)

A sweet pancake filled with grated coconut and served with a small bowl of syrup.

...and to drink:

Pineapple Lassi - 250 Rs. (£1.20)

Nice, but like my pineapple juice it would have been better with some ice in it as it wasn't very cold.

Overall, we enjoyed our late breakfast at Dasu's Hut. The service was friendly, the food was tasty and the prices represented good value for money.

• alycat's Profile Photo

Sirikata Paya: Local food

by alycat Written Jan 1, 2007

Managed by a Sri Lankan family, this beach shack has amazing sea side views. They incurred considerable damage to their property due to the Tsunami, but have rebuilt it again. The also rent surfboards and snorkelling equipment. On the other side of the restro that opens up on the main road, they also have an antiques, and jems and jewellery store.

Other internationally managed hotels and restros have managed to survive the Tsunami onslaught, but its the locals who are having a tough time. So I request visitors to catch up on this place, and hey...u get gr8 food and fabulous deals at the store aswell, all at a very cheap price.

• Water Sports
    • Beaches

• Spaghetti & Co Italian Restaurant: Best Pasta & Pizza on the Island

by krayZpaving Written Jan 21, 2004

The best Italian food I've ever tasted (although I've not been to Italy yet!). Lasagne and pizzas come very highly recommended.

The place is very busy all the time, because it was included in the latest edition of Lonely Planet. However, they don't seem to have adjusted staffing levels to meet the extra demand. If you want to be served quickly, or get a table straight away, you need to be there around 7pm.

Favorite Dish: Lasagne - simply the best I've ever had (other than my mothers!)

• chizz's Profile Photo

Refresh Restaurant: Great food with beach views!

by chizz Written Apr 7, 2009
    Refresh Restaurant - Hikkaduwa

Refresh Restaurant is quite expensive by Hikkaduwa standards, but is worth the extra money in my opinion as the food is good and the beach location is nice too.
    The restaurant has several sections which are modernly decorated and the speciality is seafood. Staff are friendly and service is quite quick by Sri Lankan standards.
    I had the Chicken Sizzler and my husband had the Chilli Pork, both of which were very tasty. We also had a few beers and soft drinks and the bill was around Rs. 3,000, which was the most we paid for a meal on our trip.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Sizzler.

• chizz's Profile Photo

Hotel Francis Restaurant and Bar: Tasty food in Hikkaduwa

by chizz Updated Apr 7, 2009
    Dinner at Hotel Francis - Hikkaduwa

The Hotel Francis Restaurant and Bar is along the main road in Hikkaduwa and serves tasty food in clean surroundings at reasonable prices.
    It's speciality is seafood and it has several specials on offer daily - just see the board by the entrance.
    I had a fish dish and my husband ordered chicken and both were tasty enough. Service was a little on the slow side, but this is just the norm in Sr Lanka!

Favorite Dish: Freshly caught fish.

• Spagetti & Co: Spagetti &Co restaraunt in Hikkaduwa: what a waste

by georgegorsky Updated Mar 8, 2014

I did not like the restaraunt at all. Neither food, nor the atmosphere was any good.
    The dinner price in Spagetti & Co was a bit higher than in most places in Hikkduwa.

Favorite Dish: Pizza was alright, BUT I know a couple of other places here that have more tasty pizzas.

Instant Answers: Hikkaduwa

Comments

Hikkaduwa Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hikkaduwa restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hikkaduwa sightseeing.