Hikkaduwa Things to Do

• Things to Do
    by hydronetta
    Sea shore infront of the Coral Sanctuary
    by Pakistaniguy
  • Gangarama Mahavihara, Hikkaduwa, Sri lanka.
    Gangarama Mahavihara, Hikkaduwa, Sri...
    by planxty

Best Rated Things to Do in Hikkaduwa

Beautiful Golden Sandy Beach at Hikkaduwa

by Pakistaniguy Updated Oct 11, 2003

Enjoying every inche of sunlight on my body

Hikkaduwa is 98 Km's south of Colombo and it is doubtlessly one of the most famous beach spot in Sri Lanka. There is an equally varied choice of Beach and Sea for tourists. Coral for snorkellers, waves for body and board surfers and good wide strip of sand, backed by cafes if u just want to sit back and relax feeling the sea breeze and the Sea.

• School Holidays

Going to the beach from Corel Garden Hotel

Coral Sanctuary is the main attraction of Hikkaduwa. A lot of tourist come here for enjoying this Natural Beauty. A couple of hundred meters from the shore there is a rocky area, which is also visible from Corel Garden hotel, is a large shallow area enclosed by the reef. To reach the shore from where you can swim to this reef is just a mins walk from the Corel Garden hotel's beach area (where i am standing in this pic).

Sea shore infront of the Coral Sanctuary

If you decide to visit the reef you may hire the mask, snorkel or fins from the diving centers in the town of Hikkaduwa. Most of the place offer a set of equipment from 50 Rs. per hour to 200 Rs. for a day.

• School Holidays

A typical Sri Lankan Beach

This is my favourite picture and view from Hikkaduwa. It's a typical Sri Lankan Beach scene with Tall Coconut trees bending towards the Indian ocean and having Pine Apple trees growing under neath them. I never saw Pine Apples growing on Pine Apples tree ever in my life before this day ! I wish i had got my hands on of them ;-)

by Pakistaniguy Updated Oct 11, 2003

Look inside the water ! Isn't it beautiful ?

You may swim to this reef from Corel Garden Hotel's beach too, where the reef runs straight out to the shore. The water over the reef is never more than 3 or 4 Meters. In this sanctury, the coral is perotected very well and is not torn like at other places.

• WStat's Profile Photo

Visit the TURTLE FARM

by WStat Written Oct 7, 2008

Baby Turtles, Hikkaduwa

On the beach about 2 kms north of Hikkaduwa is a very small private Turtle Research Center, which works to protect this endangered species. Turtle eggs selected for hatching & progressive stages of the development of turtles can be seen here. Eggs are collected or bought from local villagers and buried in the sand hatchery. If there is a lot o sunshine they hatch after 48 days. If it is raining it can take up to 60 days before the turtles emerge from the eggs. They are then placed in the tanks and for first 3 days remain without food to cleanse them of material ingested form the eggshell. They are then given small pieces of fish for a further 7 days, to learn to dive down into the tank to take the food. Then they can be safely released into the sea.
    There are various kinds of turtles to be seen, also the big Green Turtle.

• Eco-Tourism

• The best Tuktuk driver in Hikkaduwa !

by sharwals Written Jul 11, 2011

I was in Hikkaduwa on march 2011. this is my second time to Hikkaduwa, so I wanted to see what else it has to offer besides the beach. by a chance I met Ajith, the cutest tuktuk driver in sri lanka!!!

ajith is a simple, honest sri lankan (and the only one with purple tuktuk), he knows the area very good and took me for a good 1 day trip, in cheap comparing to a regular car and driver.

very very recommended if you arrive to hikkaduwa and want to see more :)

Ajith : phone - 0094 716482768
    Email : ajithbandara@hotmail.com

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Hikkaduwa Beach

by kentishgirl Updated Apr 17, 2007

Palms on Hikkaduwa

Hikkaduwa has a beautiful beach, it is sandy and very wide, when we were there it was pretty clean too.
    It is a great beach for chilling on with a book, and strolling along during the day and early evening, but the sea here is very rough and not ideal for a gentle dip.

You will find a few of the hostels and a couple of the shops on the main road hire body boards and surf boards. This is ideal because the waters here are perfect for that - just not swimming.
    c%*

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Tsunami memorial

by hydronetta Written Oct 16, 2006

The most tragic memorial proving the disastrous power of the tsunami that hit Sri Lanka is the train that was destroyed by the gigantic wave with a lot of casualties. The original train stands in Hikkaduwa train station as a tragic memorial to those lost. Concidering the weight and dimensions of such train one can realize the size of the distraction.

Beautiful Golden Sandy Beach at Hikkaduwa

by Pakistaniguy Updated Oct 11, 2003

The complete view of the beach in the background.

During the Off Season, which is from May to October, most of the places and shops are closed and sea also gets quite rough. so, be careful and take precautionary measures before doing anything in water.

• planxty's Profile Photo

An interesting little temple.

by planxty Written Mar 14, 2014

Gangarama Mahavihara, Hikkaduwa, Sri lanka.

I mentioned in my introduction page to Hikkaduwa that it is very much a beach resort orientated place, and it is. I am not really much of a beach bunny and my guide book had very helpfully suggested a temple that might be worth visiting and so that is what I did. The guidebook instructions were not hugely explicit and we had just had a fairly violent rainstorm but I knew which side road off the main coastal road to follow and, by some act of karma if you believe in such, I found myself plodding along behind a young Buddhist monk in full regalia. I had just about worked out that there was not much of religious significance in the town and reckoned he was headed for the temple / monastery. It proved to be a good plan and he "guided" me (we did not speak) along a little side track where I came upon the temple you see pictured.

It is neither the oldest nor most impressive Buddhist temple I have ever been to n my travels but it was very tranquil and spiritually pleasing in it's way. I know this may sound a little odd coming from one who has professed his atheism often on the pages of this website but I almost inevitably find a sense of peace in a gurdwara, mosque, church, synagogues, temple or whatever. Maybe that is the idea.

I had the place more or less to myself, at least as far as visitors were concerned. I exchanged a bit of banter with some young novice monks, took a few photos which, on reflection, quite surprise me. It can be difficult in Sri Lanka to differentiate between Buddhist and Hindu paces of worship. Certainly there were plenty of Buddha images but I am sure I also saw Lord Ganesh and various other Hindu gods represented. Again, this pleased me immensely. Coming from a part of the world that has been torn apart brutally in the name of religion over centuries, it sort of gave me hope in a strange way. I am not saying I had a Damascene conversion or anything but I just felt good about life when I left this place. Visit it and you may just feel the same.

As for the logistics, it is called the Gangarama Mahavihara and sits just off the Baddegama Road. Ask any of the wonderfully friendly locals, they will guide you. There is a ice little walk back into town along the banks of the canal / river which I shall deal with in a separate tip.

Admission is free but naturally there are donation boxes.

• Photography
    • Religious Travel

• Mambo's Place - these boys are total tools

by chelbycat Written Dec 30, 2011

Bottom line: if you want to sleep with one of the Sri Lanka surfers at Mambo's (eww), stay here. If you are just in Hikkaduwa to surf or make friends, stay far, far away. If you're a dude, these guys will hassle you, not matter how nice you are to them!

When I first read about territorial beach boys at Mambos, I figured it was just a few disgruntled guys that they didn't get to score with a girl. But all of these negative reviews about the beach boys at Mambo's are 100 percent true. These Mambo's boys are total tools, and they are extremely territorial about girls and waves (mostly girls!).

I booked a room at Mambo's because it was known as a party spot and as a girl traveling solo, I wanted to make friends when I arrived. I was NOT traveling so that I could hook up with anyone, and especially not locals. I was just there to surf and make friends. I never once gave a remote glance or interest at a Mambo's boy. But these guys decided that they would cock-block any other tourist guy I tried to befriend.

When I was hanging out at the Mambo's Saturday nite beach party, I had just arrived and was looking to meet other travelers and get to know Hikkaduwa. I met several interesting male tourists and was just enjoying casual conversation. One by one, they were ALL threatened by a Mambo's boy and told to leave! It was a pattern, I would talk to a tourist guy for 10 minutes and then he'd tell me he was sorry but the Mambo's guys were making trouble and he had to leave! This happened three times in an hour!

By chance, I actually met and was able to talk with another solo tourist, a guy from Australia, later in the night. Maybe the Mambo's boys had their eyes on other girls at that point so they left us alone. I made plans to hang out with the Aussie the next day, and he was going to meet me at Mambo's where I was staying so we could go to dinner. When he got to Mambo's he was told he was not allowed in to see me! We got around this glitch and hung out that day together with other tourists just staying away from Mambos. The next day the Mambo's boys paddled out to him in the line up and told him to stay away from all girls at Mambo's and to pretty much get out of the water and leave Hikkaduwa! These Mambo's boys are a gang and they have a reputation of even stabbing tourists who don't oblige!

Needless to say, I checked out of Mambo's that day stayed in a much dirtier hotel and was MUCH happier meeting decent locals. Had I never left Mambo's I would have sadly thought that all guys in Hikkaduwa are creeps (turns out, there some kind ones.) It's my right to talk to whoever I want on MY vacation and I'm not going to let these guys control me, especially when I am the customer and I and paying them!

THERE ARE WAY BETTER PLACES THAN MAMBO'S IN HIKKADUWA. Places with friendly locals.

As for the surf, Mambo's isn't even in front of the main reef break. And there are at least five other places you can rent boards.

As for the party scene in Hikkaduwa, there are WAY better parties and clubs than Mambo's on a Saturday nite. Try Blue Moon on Tuesdays or Funky de Bar on Thursdays. Way better and way less Machismo!

• Women's Travel
    • Singles
    • Surfing

• h.ghabra's Profile Photo

Snorklling

by h.ghabra Written Oct 29, 2012

Snorkeling is amazing in Kikkaduwa , you will see lots of colorful fishes and the big famous turtle ( almost 120 cm long) if lucky
    Location: next to Coral Rock Amaya hotel ( 100 mtr north).. This is the best beach in Hikkaduwa

• Surf with Mambo's A Frame Surf shop!

by bluepool Written Sep 29, 2009

I have just returned from a fantastic 10days being looked after by Mambo and the boys from A frame surf shop. They were well natured boys with a passion for surfing who are all creating a supportive environment for Sri Lankan Tourism.

Out of all the places i have surfed i found here to be the least territoral and the local boys were nothing but friendly. They understand well that tourism is important. One young budding surfer even said to me "you take this wave, i live here i have them all the time, its your holiday."

Mambo himself is doing wonders for local tourism. He has a entrepreneurial mindset and a deep set passion for his home turf; paving the way for Sri Lankan surf. Additionally, he lends support to a bunch of young local boys who want to surf, by helping them out with a place to stay and food in return for help around his place. He is like the father of one big A Frame Family.

You can custom plan a surf safari tour being taken to secret locations or over to Arugam Bay if it is the right season. Mambo can provide you with a surf coach and decent rental boards.

He has comfortable vans that can jump in with a bunch of mates and they'll drive you to surf spots further down south! Basically anything you want they'll be able to do for you.

www.mambo.nu

Cheers to Mambo and the boys and the future of Sri Lankan surf!

keep your hearts and minds open
    take advice, but most of all seek for yourselves
    xx

• Water Sports
    • Surfing

• hydronetta's Profile Photo

Beach...holidays???

by hydronetta Updated Oct 16, 2006

Hikkaduwa was my last stop before departing Sri Lanka. I had a short walk in this coastal town.
    I was rather unimpressed seeing how nowadays the beach has been limited in a thin strip of sand overshadowed by buildings. And this strip of sand was filled with tourists (most commonly drinking beer) and all sorts of boats for water sports.
    Not tranquil at all and certainly a worse choice with other coastal places.
    I guess if some people have booked a package tour accommodated in Hikkaduwa the wisest idea is to hire a motorbike and drive to other places

Instant Answers: Hikkaduwa

Comments

Hikkaduwa Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Hikkaduwa things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hikkaduwa sightseeing.