Tangalla Things to Do

Tsunami Memorial, Tangalle, Sri Lanka.
    by planxty
    Palm on Tangalla Beach
    by kentishgirl
    Tangalla
    by kentishgirl

Most Recent Things to Do in Tangalla

• planxty's Profile Photo

There is not much to do except remember.

by planxty Updated Apr 26, 2014

Tsunami Memorial, Tangalle, Sri Lanka.

As I alluded to in my introduction page to Tangalle (Tangalla) there is really not very much to do here. What you essentially have is a town attached to a lovely beach by a pretty ropey road and "never the twain shall meet". The town is a fairly prosaic place and largely, I suspect, given over to supplying the flash tourist resorts on the beach road. I did, however, take a wander in there one day and found, tragically, yet another reminder of the awful tsunami in 2004. I do not wish to hark on about this nor put off the potential traveller, as the chances of it happening again are statistically one in millions but the fact is that it happened and it was brutal.

It is almost impossible to walk any distance on the Southern coast of Sri Lanka and not find some memorial to the events of that tragic and fateful day. I remember watching it on television during the Christmas season (which I do not observe) and being appalled by the devastation. It was only later that I learned how terrible that devastation had been. To visit Southern Sri Lanka is, frankly, to see makeshift graves and more permanent memorials everywhere. I do not say this to put anyone off at all, indeed I would encourage anyone to go to this wonderful country but history is what it is and I do not intend to shy away from it here.

I was walking through the fairly unprepossessing streets of Tangalle, for which I suspect one day is far too much to explore (you can do it on 30 minutes) and I saw the memorial that you can see in the image here. It was not the first, and it wasn't the last and every one affected me. If your computer allows for it have a look at the fourth name on the memorial stone. I cannot tell you the name as it is in Sinhala and I do not speak it but what I do know is that the child was less than eight months old when a huge wave from the sea killed him or her. I am not ashamed to say that I stood in tears in front of that memorial. I have no idea what the locals made of that.

The thing is that the Sri Lankans, coming off the back of a brutal civil war got hammered by this natural disaster and yet they seem to have recovered and picked themselves up so well. It really is amazing.

If you go to Tangalle, please do spare a few seconds of your time to remember many dead people literally washed away by the greatest excess of nature. Ity won't cost you anything and I can guarantee you that the local people will appreciate it.

• Photography

• enars's Profile Photo

Swimming

by enars Updated Nov 26, 2010

Tangalla is not a good place for swimming although the sea is warm enough. But if you try to do so, please be very careful. The trick is to get into the water avoiding big waves (the same for getting out), then you should be fine. As you get deeper the waves are not that strong and it is much more fun to swim. At least I enjoyed that - with lots of adrenaline!

• Water Sports

• enars's Profile Photo

Rocky part of Tangalla beach

by enars Updated Nov 26, 2010

Just north of the sandy beach of Tangalla is a rocky one. There are some hotels right on the rocks of the coast. It is worth to go there if you want some climbing and crawling rather than just walking. Besides it is the best place to see the perfect sunrise and escape from any tourists.

• Hiking and Walking

Sunrise

Tangalla sunrise

Funny for me, but on this trip I have bothered to haul myself out of bed early in the morning so to see the sunrise.
    Tangalla was one of the memorable ones, it was just stunning and way better than the sunsets I encountered there.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Walking along the coast in Tangalla

by kentishgirl Updated Apr 17, 2007
    Matt walking along the coastal road as we leave

Follow the road from the beach all the way along and you will soon find yourself in Tangalla town. From Tangalla there are regular buses each way along the coast where you can make connections.

We enjoyed many walks along the beach road and into the town centre, where there are a few small shops and stalls, there are banks and an internet cafe.

The walk along the beach is beautiful, locals would always speak to us and be intrigued as to why we were there!

• Hiking and Walking

Indian Ocean at Tangalla

Rough seas at Tangalla

I tryed once to swim in the seas off of Tangalla beach, and I was thrown around and dragged in the extra strong current so badly that I was way too terrified to go back in a second time.

Locals and their kids swam in the sea each evening as we watched them from our balcony - once bitten - twice shy I say. If you do decide to swim just be careful and cautious, I consider myself a strong swimmer and I was literally dragged - scary experience.

Tangalla Beach

Palm on Tangalla Beach

The beach in Tangalla is beautiful, but as you can see from my photographs, when I was here the weather was not sunbathing weather and so I often just admired the beach from our balcony.

Tangalla was one of many coastal towns hit by the Tsunami and when we visited over a year later there was still an awful lot of debris lying on the beach.

• tommix's Profile Photo

Night turtle watching at Rekawa beach

by tommix Updated Mar 28, 2005

At the south of Sri Lanka you can see marine turtles coming during the night on the beach and laying eggs in the sand nests. It's a really unique experience!
    But you have to be patient. It's nature, so sometimes you have to wait till very late in the night, and sometimes (it's rare) they dont't come at all...
    On Rekawa beach you can see 5 of 7 worldwide occurring species of marine turtles:
    - Green Turtle
    - Loggerhead Turtle
    - Leatherback Turtle
    - Olive Ridley Turtle
    - Hawskbill Turtle
    It's free of charge, but you will be asked to make a donation for the Turtle Conservation Project. Please do it...

Tsunami update: The Impact had not been severe in this area due to the stabilised shore vegetation and high sand dunes.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Tangalla

Comments

Tangalla Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Tangalla things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tangalla sightseeing.